Author Topic: EP622: Anna and Marisol in Time and Space  (Read 5191 times)

eytanz

on: April 14, 2018, 07:45:56 PM
Escape Pod 622: Anna and Marisol in Time and Space

AUTHOR : Tim Pratt
NARRATOR : Amy H. Sturgis
HOST: Mur Lafferty

---

The big day came, and Anna was tempted to tie up Marisol and stash her in the closet just to be safe, but instead she put on her makeup and her pale blue gown (it was prettier than she remembered) and called, “Marisol! Are you making a whole new dress from scratch in there? We gotta go!” just like last time.

Marisol emerged from the bedroom, sliding a dangly earring into place, and even with everything on her mind, Anna stopped and stared and took her partner in: those pale green eyes so striking against the darkness of her skin, her long black hair, her dress patterned with tiny flowers and ruffled at the hem, made elegant both by Marisol’s craftsmanship and because she looked good in everything, basically. How many hours had Anna spent staring at photographs of that face? “Oh my god, let me get a picture.”

Listen to this week’s Escape Pod!

Jen

• Palmer
Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 07:38:41 PM
I really loved this one and, while the twist at the end was somewhat predictable, I felt it really added to the story. I enjoyed the fact that it was a love story first and a time travel story second.

I don't really think Anna and Marisol will be together forever, but the odds are way better for two old ladies than they would be for a 30-year old and an 80-year old!

Father Beast

• Lochage
Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 12:58:33 AM
I really loved this one and, while the twist at the end was somewhat predictable, I felt it really added to the story. I enjoyed the fact that it was a love story first and a time travel story second.

I don't really think Anna and Marisol will be together forever, but the odds are way better for two old ladies than they would be for a 30-year old and an 80-year old!

Um, Ditto.
I Dug it.

RexMagenta

• Palmer
Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 08:46:08 AM
I listened to this one yesterday and I loved it too. I really liked that Anna and Marisol had different reactions to their trauma but neither was presented as less valid than the other.

I hope they managed Step Four, one way or another...

It's fun to stay at the \o/ <o> (o_ /o\

Pronouns: she/her

Katzentatzen

• Matross
Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 03:38:31 AM
Man I really felt bad for young Anna and Marisol, but I guess they never had a chance! This reminded me of the Black Mirror episode, "San Junipero", but better, because it has time travel, and time travel they even explained and seemed plausible! This was quite touching.

"To understand a cat you must realize that he has his own gifts, his own viewpoint, even his own morality."
--LILIAN JACKSON BRAUN

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 03:49:40 PM
I also really liked this story. It actually went on longer than I expected (I expected it to end right after she foiled the shooter), but the story was much better for it. And I also found the end predictable, but still enjoyed the specifics of how it played out.
Nicely done.

irishlazz

• Palmer
Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 01:16:22 AM
Loved it.  Listened to it twice and liked it even more the second time.  I'm a fan of happy endings, even though its actually a beginning so you really don't know how it ends in the epilogue.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." A.Einstein

"D"

• Extern
Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 01:52:13 AM
Loved this episode. I enjoyed the rules & restrictions around time travel and the world building.  The SOPs were realistic enough to scare me. I saw, but still enjoyed, the Marisol switch at the point where she asked for the gun and I really loved that ending because it felt like the two characters were put on even footing, all the better to build a beautiful 2nd life together!

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 10:43:59 PM
Tim Pratt is awesome. Excellent pick!

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”