Escape Artists
June 19, 2018, 01:55:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: EP305/EP630: Midnight Blue  (Read 10970 times)
Thomas
Palmer

« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2011, 12:03:55 PM »

I enjoyed this story; it was fun. But I don't see why it ran on Escape Pod instead of PodCastle; this was a fantasy story all the way.

Naaaaa...... it can be either. whether the artifacts are extraterrestrial or supernatural in origin is open to debate. in my opinion, it doesn't matter, it was a fun story, it was a good story, it is speculative fiction. so does it belong in escapepod or podcastle?? who cares? as long as it gets heard.

Enjoy and be nice to each other, because "WE" is all we got.
stePH
Actually has enough cowbell.
Hipparch

Cool story, bro!

« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2011, 06:05:56 PM »

Again I must ask: why have a separate fantasy podcast if you're going to run fantasy stories on the sci-fi podcast?

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising
Thomas
Palmer

« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2011, 08:03:18 PM »

Again I must ask: why have a separate fantasy podcast if you're going to run fantasy stories on the sci-fi podcast?

it's at the discretion of the editors

"Ours is not to question why, but to do or die."

and i agree, it would be a better fit in podcastle

Kconv
Extern

« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2011, 02:25:31 AM »

I disagree.

This could fit in either escape pod or podcastle because its very much a what if story.

Its like that Futurama episode what if life was like a video game, but taken much more seriously.

Because look it at, you need to collect 3 of a single color then absorb it, it has rules for a reset, rarities and other game conventions.

*sits back and fires up through my own sheilds*
eytanz

« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2011, 03:12:19 AM »

That's a valid question, and one that you should feel free to ask in the "about escape pod" forum. Though, frankly, I really doubt you'll be satisfied by whichever answer you get. But please do not comment on, or question, overall editorial policy in specific episode threads. This sort of thing takes over the episode discussion very quickly.
stePH
Hipparch

Cool story, bro!

« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2011, 01:30:23 PM »

I disagree.

This could fit in either escape pod or podcastle because its very much a what if story.

Its like that Futurama episode what if life was like a video game, but taken much more seriously.

Because look it at, you need to collect 3 of a single color then absorb it, it has rules for a reset, rarities and other game conventions.

Fantasy magic has its own rules too. At least, in good fantasy, it does.

Max e^{i pi}
Hipparch

Have towel, will travel.

« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2011, 02:56:25 AM »

Damn. Now I'm sorry I brought it up.  Undecided
I was perfectly content to have it in EP...

Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted!

NomadicScribe
Palmer

« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2011, 07:44:54 AM »

Superb episode. The fact that it was a period piece lent it a different atmosphere which I quite enjoyed. And yet, much of the fun of the story comes from the hero getting his $850k reward while still also being able to pick up as many spheres as he could. A great fantasy for our era of economic fear. All around, well done.

As for the complaints that this episode should have been on Podcastle, well, I just didn't read into the story that it was a genre fantasy piece. I took it for granted that the spheres were some kind of alien life form which bonded to humans. I thought it was explained pretty well in the story.

Anyway, this is the kind of story I listen to EP for. And this is the kind of discussion I log on to the forums for!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 07:50:22 AM by NomadicScribe » Logged
Thomas
Palmer

« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2011, 10:43:23 AM »

I took it for granted that the spheres were some kind of alien life form which bonded to humans. I thought it was explained pretty well in the story.

I had forgotten this and the description of it being a symbiot does lend to the sense that they are of extraterrestrial in origin.

icegirl
Palmer

« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2011, 01:35:51 AM »

I enjoyed this one - especially the fishing!

Lionman
Peltast

Next time, I'll just let sleeping dogs lie.

« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2011, 08:49:43 AM »

This story left me wondering, "So, how does this resolve? Everyone goes and gets multiple charms and super-hero-like powers, or what? But more specifically, what about or main character? And did the powers that others previously had fade, or did they continue to have them?

I suppose many would say that this story did what it was supposed to do, left you wanting more of it.  I think I just would have liked to have seen more of a conclusion, instead of an open ended ending.

Failure is an event, not a person.
NomadicScribe
Palmer

« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2011, 09:04:08 AM »

I think I just would have liked to have seen more of a conclusion, instead of an open ended ending.

I think the story concluded just fine... Because it was the story of just one character. Not the story of "everyone."
Ben JB
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2011, 01:55:38 PM »

I enjoyed this story for many of the reasons already mentioned--interesting kid POV, but also interesting kid-mom dynamic, and interesting playground class dynamics (rich vs. poor).

But like many listeners, I feel like there's some really interesting politics going on here, both economic (what happens next time the supply runs low, how long before this new crop of charms gets snapped up by existing or new hierarchies?) and environmental (the charms are a finite resource on one hand, but, without any particular husbanding or care, they are also an infinitely (as far as we know) replenishing resource).

I also wonder if there are any anti-charm people out there in this world--people who think absorbing charms is devilish or simply an unacceptable change of the self. (Like, wasn't there a "laughs easier" charm? I can totally imagine someone who was told by their therapist to get one of those charms to cure their depression; but how many "I don't want to take pills, this is my sadness" people are there (in fiction, at least)? And that's just one example.)
LaShawn
Lochage

Writer Mommies Rule!

« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2011, 11:32:03 AM »

Add my voice to the list of "Oh, what a *fun* story!"

And yes, I too saw the ending coming until it veered into a completely different direction than I expected. When Jeff agreed to sell, I actually said out loud, "Wait, no! That's not supposed to happen! YOU FOOL!" And the ending reminded me, just like our dear friend Dave Thompson, of the Biblical parable of the talents, and I was like "Dang! I've been taken down a peg. A WHOLE PEG!"

Really enjoyed the setting of this and the funness factor. Definitely something I can play for my son. And as for it being scifi vs fantasy, I don't know. I think it hovers between the two. I also figured that aliens were the ones who planted it. Maybe it's just one massive experiment they're doing just to learn about economics or something. Though I can very easily see it on Podcastle as well, but...I don't think it focused on the superpowers as the economics of said superpowers, which...can be...scifi?  Huh

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly
stePH
Hipparch

Cool story, bro!

« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2011, 04:53:23 PM »

Damn. Now I'm sorry I brought it up.  Undecided
I was perfectly content to have it in EP...

Seems it's my place to be "that guy".  Tongue

CJGuy
Extern

« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2011, 09:21:58 PM »

Just a quick note to say that this was one of my favorites on Escape Pod.  I was intrigued by the concept of the orbs and I love where the story took us.   Great fun.

CJ Guy

"Eschew Obfuscation" - Bumper sticker brilliance.
HexD
Extern

« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2011, 12:41:03 AM »

Loved the retro vibe and the supply-demand undertone.
birdless
Lochage

Five is right out.

« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2011, 11:57:14 AM »

I thoroughly enjoyed this one, which is not something I find myself saying about EP stories. Not to criticize the editing/production/whatever, it's just that I've found them to not be quite as much my cup of tea as the sister podcasts.

Anyway, all I really wanted to say was how much I enjoyed this one. I forgot to comment on it with I listened to it sometime ago, so…
TrapperDan
Extern

« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2011, 02:54:44 PM »

I love the story, however I have a large problem with the idea of a Mother who is raising her son in near poverty yet has it in her to be quite hands off with the whole selling of the orb.

Charlie And the Chocolate Factory indeed.

Were I the parent, there is no way in hell I would be "in the kitchen" while my child (CHILD!!!!!!!!!!) brokered a life changing possibly million dollar deal with a dude who could fly.
There would be lawyers, and negotiations, and contracts, oh my.   I admire the kid's plucky nature, but still. 
Max e^{i pi}
Hipparch

Have towel, will travel.

« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2011, 02:18:59 AM »

Were I the parent, there is no way in hell I would be "in the kitchen" while my child (CHILD!!!!!!!!!!) brokered a life changing possibly million dollar deal with a dude who could fly.
There would be lawyers, and negotiations, and contracts, oh my.   I admire the kid's plucky nature, but still. 
I think that was exactly the point.
The story was told from the kid's point of view. And in kids of a certain age grownups are just background noise. Remember how all the grownups talk in the Charlie Brown cartoons? We can't understand what they're saying, because as kids, nothing they have to say is of any interest to us.
Same thing here. Yes, if it were up to the mother there would be more lawyers than she could comfortably afford, but it's not up to the mother. This is a kid's story, and in kids stories the mother belongs out of sight.

Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: