Author Topic: Irene  (Read 8872 times)

Talia

• Muahahahaha
on: August 26, 2011, 03:16:21 AM
I just wanted to say stay safe, fellow East Coast forumites. Should be "exciting."

CT here, I'm not doing a darn thing, as I rather expect it will be mostly lots of rain when it hits. I live right next to a river, though, so it should be "fun" to watch the water level rise :P

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 01:48:48 PM
seconded :) I'm in NC, but a couple hours inland so am also merely expecting lots o' rain. We're having an exciting week, what with the great earthquake of 8/23 and now Irene!

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 01:58:22 PM

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 03:43:45 PM
Thinking good thoughts for all you East Coast forumites. Stay safe, and let us know how you're doing.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 06:21:42 PM
Irene swept right by me without so much as a gust of wind.  :P
Hoping you Northeasterners stay safe!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Spindaddy

• Peltast
  • Small god of doughnuts
Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 08:06:15 PM
I'm in jersey, but not near the coast. In fact, I'm on the opposite side of Jersey from the ocean. There might be flooding up here, but nothing I really need to worry about. The only thing I'm doing is praying that I don't kill all the idiots freaking out the hurricane. Honestly, this is being overhyped and unless you live along the shore or near a place that always floods, NOTHING WILL HAPPEN. Stop panicking. I went to the store to get some bread and there were people buying gallons of water in case the power goes out for two weeks.

This is my proof that humans are inherently stupid herd creatures and will stampede over the most retarded things. Also, I think the next newscaster that compares Irene to Katrina deserves to be repeatedly punched in the genitalia and then taken to New Orleans and forced to help with the cleanup that is still going on so that they realize the difference between a Category 5 Hurricane hitting a city that is mostly below sea level and a Category 2 Hurricane hitting a city that is not only above sea level, but built on a massive granite shoulder.

Also, I love that earthquake picture. People were freaking out out all over. The only thing I noticed was the birds all flying up off the deck.

I'm not evil. I'm corporate.

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 02:15:25 AM
Long Island here :)

We're bracing ourselves, looks like we're going to get a direct hit in less than 24 hours.  I have my boss' baby shower tomorrow and may be driving home at the start of the action.  eek.

Fun times behind with the earthquake and fun times ahead with Hurricane Irene! 

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 06:51:00 AM
My understanding of the hype is that a hurricane up north is different than a hurricane that hits Miami.  In Miami, we have storm shutters, somewhat fast drainage into the limestone layer, and general experience with the storms.  There's none of that up north.  Even here in Gainesville, FL I have no storm shutters.  If a nicely powerful hurricane were to come blowing by, I'd probably lose all my windows.  I have 4 in my room alone, not to mention the rest of the apartment.  It would kinda suck.

Irene is also a decently powerful hurricane at this point.  It can definitely do some damage, though I think only the idiots will be found dead.  (always that ONE guy who decided he should hide in "easily floodable location A" under "inescapable circumstances B")

Spindaddy

• Peltast
  • Small god of doughnuts
Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 03:03:57 PM
Well, I'll admit the north doesn't normally have all kinds of hurricanes hit us (and certainly not like in the gulf), but I'm willing to bet a 12 pack of anyone's favorite drink "the north" is way more prepared to deal with a hurricane than miami is prepared to deal with a 1 foot snowfall. We don't typically get hurricanes at their full power, but the difference is much like a jock throwing a haymaker, we can see the hurricane coming from way way off. The north also gets Nor'easters and other bad storms, so it's not like we are completely unprepared.

Whats happening now is the media hyping the hurricane to panic people into going out and buy buy buy (SO YOU'LL BE PREPARED!) instead of being responsible and just hunkering down. Should you make sure that you have batteries, some water and planned for having no power for a day or 2? Sure... but why would you go out and buy $500 worth of food and spend even money in supplies when if you do lose power it will all go to waste OR you are stuck with all that excess... which will get thrown out. People living near the shore should evacuate--yeah, but in my area people are going out and buying generators in such bulk that Lowes and Home Depot are selling out within hours.

While it makes sense to have emergency personnel on stand by and to follow common sense, the widespread panic is absolutely sickening. Anyone with half a freaking brain knows that the hurricanes always lose power as they get further and further into the colder waters. What we are seeing is the media trying to panic people into buying things (click on our ads) that they don't need. It's overhyped and people are freaking out for exactly no reason.

It's just a hurricane, not the end of the world.

I'm not evil. I'm corporate.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 06:03:33 PM
Hehe, my dad thought to himself "oh we should probably have a generator..." a couple days ago, but the store was sold out. He was told they'd be getting in more last night, but if he wanted a chance to get one, he'd have to get to the store before 6 AM this morning, because the new supply would all be gone in a half hour. :P

danooli

Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 09:57:46 PM
I saw a guy in a van selling generators out the back of it when I was coming home from the baby shower.  With cars stopped to buy!  I am pretty curious, I must admit, as to how much they were going for!

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 11:41:54 PM

I gotta tell you this may be the funniest thing I've ever seen on the Internet... I keep coming back and looking at it and laughing.

I may have to steal it and send it around. Did you make it, so if i do I can credit you?

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #12 on: August 28, 2011, 12:08:58 AM
Nope, I found it on the internet somewhere, it's just getting passed around. I think it would be difficult to find the original creator now. Heheh.

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #13 on: August 28, 2011, 03:39:15 AM
Well, I think the bulk of it is by me. :) It's funny, we had tons of gusty wind in the day, and then some rain in the evening, but not the two together. Friends of mine further to the east said it was raining/gusting pretty hard with plenty of branches down though. Hopefully the total damage out at the coast won't be too bad.

Bdoomed, my sister is in Gainseville and she was laughing because if anything she thought they had less rain on Friday, instead of more! :D

danooli

Reply #14 on: August 28, 2011, 01:47:21 PM
So far, the power has flickered a few times, but stayed on.  It's still gusting, but the rain really hasn't been too bad.  One neighbors tree that was on the property line came down and took out 2 sections of his fence.  Its partially in our yard, but it missed our cars and my cat's memorial marker. Just a bit of clean-up.  Also, a couple of branches from the neighbor on the other side blew into our yard and took down my husbands hop vines, but the harvest doesn't appear to be lost, so we just got some extra firewood  ;D

I don't think it's over, but I do think the worst has passed.  (I hope!)

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #15 on: August 28, 2011, 03:13:55 PM
Yeah, there's pretty much nothin' goin on here. The river has swollen pretty good, that's about it.

Booooring.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 02:00:58 AM by Talia »

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #16 on: August 29, 2011, 01:40:42 AM
Bdoomed, my sister is in Gainseville and she was laughing because if anything she thought they had less rain on Friday, instead of more! :D

It's totally friggin true!  Every day but Friday we had about 20-30 minutes of rain, same time each day.  Friday was 5 minutes of downpour and then NOTHING.  :P

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #17 on: August 29, 2011, 02:02:08 AM
Actually I slept right through the storm, it did beat up some neighboring towns pretty good, but I didn't even lose power.

However, this is the scene just down the street in a Walmart parking lot:

Planish

• Hipparch
  • Fun will now commence.
    • northernelectric.ca
Reply #18 on: August 29, 2011, 02:25:17 AM

That's pretty good.  ;D

I think I like this one better:

I feed The Pod.
("planish" rhymes with "vanish")

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #19 on: August 29, 2011, 03:18:54 AM
Also, a couple of branches from the neighbor on the other side blew into our yard and took down my husbands hop vines, but the harvest doesn't appear to be lost, so we just got some extra firewood  ;D

Umm. What the heck are hop vines?

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #20 on: August 29, 2011, 04:56:56 AM
Umm. What the heck are hop vines?

When I get my brewing rig reassembled, I need to plant some hops. All the rigs I've seen for hops are a tall wooden frame with taut string going from ground to the top brace.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

danooli

Reply #21 on: August 29, 2011, 12:27:19 PM
Kibitzer, hubby is a homebrewer, hop vines are for the hops he grows to make beer :-D

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #22 on: August 29, 2011, 03:31:55 PM
Kibitzer, hubby is a homebrewer, hop vines are for the hops he grows to make beer :-D

I am so tempted to commission a PodCastle brew...

danooli

Reply #23 on: August 29, 2011, 11:20:15 PM

I am so tempted to commission a PodCastle brew...
I have some influence, you know...I can always ask!   ;D

Anyway here's a picture of some feral hops that are growing in the yard. 

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #24 on: August 30, 2011, 03:06:57 AM

Goodness. There ya go, I figured it must be hops as in beer and stuff -- but I never knew hops grew on vines! In fact, I'd be hard pressed to describe what a hop(?) looks like. So thanks for the pics!