Author Topic: EP Flash: Taco  (Read 7245 times)

Russell Nash

on: May 25, 2009, 07:40:32 AM
EP Flash: Taco

By Greg Van Eekhout.
Read by John Meagher.

“Hey, tell me, this look like Jesus to you?”

I come to Tito’s Tacos for a lot of reasons. The freeway overpass ambience, the way the old men in the kitchen wrap the burritos tighter than Cuban cigars, the shiny Kennedy 50-cent pieces you always get as part of your change. A lot of reasons. But conversation isn’t among them. Nonetheless, I dutifully look up from my lunch to see what the guy at the next table over is talking about.

Rated PG. for a possibly edible messiah.

Listen to this EP Flash!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 09:42:36 PM by Russell Nash »

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 05:26:05 PM
Y'know what makes this story great? The thought that an underground organization devoted to the destruction of ephemeral idols (Jesus in a tortilla chip, Virgin Mary in the streak pattern on the side of a building after the window-washers finish, etc) is actually pretty believable.

I wonder if they won the bid on the Jesus Cheeto and then ate it.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 01:17:29 AM
M E H .

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

thomasowenm

• Lochage
  • Servant of The Orator Maleficent
Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 08:54:27 PM
Can't wait for the Ron Howard/ Tom Hanks film of this one.

sayeth

• Palmer
    • Free Listens
Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 02:43:44 AM
I liked this one. I thought the story worked as a flash piece. It evoked a slice of life while hinting at much more without making me feel like I had only heard the start of a story. For a flash story, it did everything it needed to do.

Free Listens Audio Reviews: www.freelistens.blogspot.com

izzardfan

Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 01:40:33 AM
Wil Wheaton just discovered Escape Pod and this story, as evidenced by his blog post.  Based on the comments, we may have some new subscribers soon.  Yay Wil!

Oh, and now I can't say or hear—or even read—Wil Wheaton's name without hearing Stewie mangle it (this is the only clip I could find online without having to play the whole episode)

eytanz

Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 04:59:31 PM
Wil Wheaton just discovered Escape Pod and this story, as evidenced by his blog post.  Based on the comments, we may have some new subscribers soon.  Yay Wil!

Oh, and now I can't say or hear—or even read—Wil Wheaton's name without hearing Stewie mangle it (this is the only clip I could find online without having to play the whole episode)

He didn't just discover escape pod - he's plugged Escape Artists podcasts (esp. pseduopod) on his blog before. But yeah, I noticed the new plug as well.

Doom xombie

• Palmer
  • Hi
    • Origin of Xombie
Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 05:52:35 AM

Look its a signature! And a dragon!

MacArthurBug

• Giddy
  • Hipparch
  • I can resist anything except temptation
    • undercaffinated
Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 05:33:34 AM
Decent- at least it was fast

Oh, great and mighty Alasdair, Orator Maleficent, He of the Silvered Tongue, guide this humble fangirl past jumping up and down and squeeing upon hearing the greatness of Thy voice.
Oh mighty Mur the Magnificent. I am not worthy.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 06:05:31 PM
A fun flash tale on a topic that's always interested me (that is, the fascination of the masses over random water stains and the like).

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 01:35:45 PM
This is a fun story that does everything you'd want flash to do.

It starts to ravel at the seams when you pick at it too much, though. Why would the Vatican want to suppress or cover up these sort of phenomena? Or is the organization actually working against the Papal state?

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”