Escape Artists
October 24, 2014, 10:20:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: EP314: Movement  (Read 5992 times)
Gamercow
Hipparch

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2012, 11:09:43 AM »

Additionally, there's the new show "Touch", on Fox, about the autistic super-intelligent kid.  Personally, I'm going to give that one a miss, because it just looks contrived.  I'm not sure why I'm so bothered by the theme of autistic kids being misunderstood super-beings, but I am.

The cow says "Mooooooooo"
Dem
Lochage

aka conboyhillfiction.wordpress.com

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2012, 02:37:09 PM »

I'm not sure why I'm so bothered by the theme of autistic kids being misunderstood super-beings, but I am.
Probably because most of them aren't super-anything, they're just ordinary folk trying to function in a world that doesn't work according to their rules. I think ascribing special talents or characteristics can be the 'normal' world's attempt to compensate for disability. Sad

Science is what you do when the funding panel thinks you know what you're doing. Fiction is the same only without the funding.
MuseofChaos
Peltast

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2012, 04:35:21 PM »

Nancy, congratulations on the Nebula nomination!!

http://www.sfwa.org/2012/02/2011-nebula-awards-nominees-announced/

Alea Iacta Est!
Fenrix
Curmudgeon
EA Staff

Have you found the Yellow Sign?

« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2012, 05:37:30 PM »

The negative ending was brutal.
Finally she says something and you can realize what her mother will make of the sentence "I dont want new shoes"
She wants to stay the same, and her mother will get the message, I dont need new dancing shoes, because after the operation, I will
never again need new shoes. So her mother will not stop the operation any longer now that she has voiced an opinion.
Even if it will be the opposite of what she wants.

Sad sad story, good but sad.

I got a more open ended interpretation. I wasn't thoroughly engaged in the story, so I missed this interpretation. Brutal. Brings it up a notch.

I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
LaShawn
Editor

Writer Mommies Rule!

« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2012, 01:38:48 PM »

I think I would have to read this one just to get all the nuances. When I heard it, the writing was beautiful, but I found myself getting impatient because the story was taking to long to come to the decision. Then I read the comments and saw that I missed a lot of the context (I didn't get her autism was temporal). I was also hung up on the fact that for a girl who took a long time to choose her words, her inner monologue was chugging along fine. But just because it's inner monologue doesn't mean we say what's in our minds automatically (and in fact, there are people who really shouldn't say what's on their mind at all.)

So I think I'm going to reread this at a slower pace.

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly
Umbrageofsnow
Hipparch

Commenting by the seat of my pants.

« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2012, 12:51:25 PM »

In light of the Hugo and Nebula nominations, Asimov's put a .pdf of the story up for free on their website.  They usually take these things down eventually (after Hugos and slow website updating) but for now at least, you can read or download it here if you want the actual text version.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 12:53:54 PM by Umbrageofsnow » Logged
eytanz

« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2012, 10:13:09 AM »

For what I think is the first time in these forums, an episode has been repeated and thus its thread gets re-stickied. Hopefully, some people who didn't catch it the first time round will listen to this excellent story.

For those of you who have already listened to the episode, a quick heads up - the reposted one is entirely identical, with the same intro and outro. So if you missed Bill Peters' reading of episode commentaries, here's your chance to get your fix Smiley
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 10:16:27 AM by eytanz » Logged
schizoTypal
Palmer

« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2012, 11:48:21 PM »

The negative ending was brutal.
Finally she says something and you can realize what her mother will make of the sentence "I dont want new shoes"
She wants to stay the same, and her mother will get the message, I dont need new dancing shoes, because after the operation, I will
never again need new shoes. So her mother will not stop the operation any longer now that she has voiced an opinion.
Even if it will be the opposite of what she wants.

Sad sad story, good but sad.

I got a more open ended interpretation. I wasn't thoroughly engaged in the story, so I missed this interpretation. Brutal. Brings it up a notch.

I, too, got an entirely different interpretation of the ending. I more viewed it as "I don't want new shoes" being a stand-in for "I don't want this." A rejection of things moving forward more rapidly than she would tolerate, and her way of taking a stand. The only way she new.
LaShawn
Editor

Writer Mommies Rule!

« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2012, 11:09:27 AM »

So I listened to this again, as well as read it, since I'm going to Worldcon this year, and as I suspected, the second time around, I fell in love with it.

I love how the different elements of time, plants, atoms and the universe mesh together, and the ruminations on how quickly things change, whether it be glacial, such as glass, or evolutionary, such as how the net evolved within lifetimes. I loved the language and this time, the protagonist's inner ruminations seemed more natural to me.

Right now, this is fighting with the Cartographer Wasps story to be my Hugo pick. Cartographer's wasps was gorgeous and innovative, but there was an emotional distance that was more satisfied in this story. But this one moves at a glacial scale, which you have to match in slowing yourself down to read, whereas Wasps pulls you in and never lets you go...

AUUGH...WHY CAN'T WE HAVE BOTH?!

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly
schizoTypal
Palmer

« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2012, 03:00:47 PM »

Personally, it seems like Movement has more to offer than the Wasps does to begin with. The story of the Wasps seems very centered on purposely making the story fit a sci-fi mold, whereas Movement has a story to tell that necessitates sci-fi elements. It seems more natural, I suppose. 

So I listened to this again, as well as read it, since I'm going to Worldcon this year, and as I suspected, the second time around, I fell in love with it.

I love how the different elements of time, plants, atoms and the universe mesh together, and the ruminations on how quickly things change, whether it be glacial, such as glass, or evolutionary, such as how the net evolved within lifetimes. I loved the language and this time, the protagonist's inner ruminations seemed more natural to me.

Right now, this is fighting with the Cartographer Wasps story to be my Hugo pick. Cartographer's wasps was gorgeous and innovative, but there was an emotional distance that was more satisfied in this story. But this one moves at a glacial scale, which you have to match in slowing yourself down to read, whereas Wasps pulls you in and never lets you go...

AUUGH...WHY CAN'T WE HAVE BOTH?!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: