Author Topic: Sunday cooking  (Read 45599 times)

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #50 on: December 23, 2013, 02:07:13 PM
I'm a big fan of pomegranate syrup that you can get from middle eastern grocery stores. It's basically concentrated pomegranate juice, so it saves a lot of boiling and stirring time. Also mix 1-1 with simple syrup and you have the best grenadine ever.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

evrgrn_monster

• Lochage
  • SQUAW, MY OPINIONS.
Reply #51 on: December 24, 2013, 12:45:39 AM
Simmering a pomegranate sauce for thirty minutes makes your house smell like amazing for like two days. Added bonus.

Varda

• Rebound
  • Hipparch
  • Definitely not an android.
Reply #52 on: December 24, 2013, 01:21:04 AM
I'm a big fan of pomegranate syrup that you can get from middle eastern grocery stores. It's basically concentrated pomegranate juice, so it saves a lot of boiling and stirring time. Also mix 1-1 with simple syrup and you have the best grenadine ever.

Wait, where do you find it in Atlanta? I went looking for some once, but the only ME grocery store in Athens didn't stock any (and was ALSO extremely sketchy, which means last time I went there, a random creepy man followed me all the way to my car screaming at me for reasons only known to him).

Simmering a pomegranate sauce for thirty minutes makes your house smell like amazing for like two days. Added bonus.

It'll be dueling with the mulled wine to set the tone for the evening! :D

What are you guys cooking for the holidays, if you celebrate?

Medical Microfiction: Stories About Science
http://rckjones.wordpress.com

Fenrix

• Editor
Reply #53 on: December 24, 2013, 03:16:54 AM

Wait, where do you find it in Atlanta? I went looking for some once, but the only ME grocery store in Athens didn't stock any (and was ALSO extremely sketchy, which means last time I went there, a random creepy man followed me all the way to my car screaming at me for reasons only known to him).

I can point to at least three non-sketch ME grocery stores within a 20 minute drive of my house. You could have nice things if you lived in a civilized portion of the state.

Two of the three also serve amazing food, and the third is immediately next door to the restaurant. Next time you escape from Mos Eisley, we'll have to visit one.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Varda

• Rebound
  • Hipparch
  • Definitely not an android.
Reply #54 on: December 24, 2013, 05:08:25 PM
I can point to at least three non-sketch ME grocery stores within a 20 minute drive of my house. You could have nice things if you lived in a civilized portion of the state.

Two of the three also serve amazing food, and the third is immediately next door to the restaurant. Next time you escape from Mos Eisley, we'll have to visit one.

Dude. Stop hogging all the ME grocery stores! I'll trade you our football team. I hear you don't have that kind of thing up in ATL.

But barring that, yeah, we could probably be lured from Mos Eisley for pomegranate syrup sometime. :p

Medical Microfiction: Stories About Science
http://rckjones.wordpress.com

Fenrix

• Editor
Reply #55 on: December 24, 2013, 06:25:33 PM

Dude. Stop hogging all the ME grocery stores! I'll trade you our football team. I hear you don't have that kind of thing up in ATL.

Well, I'll ask him, but I don't think he'll be very keen. Uh, he's already got one, you see?

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #56 on: January 03, 2014, 03:58:24 AM
December is chocolate making month. Made 2500 pieces this year (truffles, fudge centres, mints, nut clusters, etc.)  Still handing out boxes to friends and family.

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #57 on: January 03, 2014, 05:55:33 PM
December is chocolate making month. Made 2500 pieces this year (truffles, fudge centres, mints, nut clusters, etc.)  Still handing out boxes to friends and family.

So, where's the sign up list? :D

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #58 on: January 10, 2014, 06:34:26 AM

LOL! My distribution list is over 70 people at the moment, plus about 8 larger assortments going to holiday gatherings I attend. I just can't handle any more people on the list! ;)

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #59 on: January 10, 2014, 12:51:56 PM

LOL! My distribution list is over 70 people at the moment, plus about 8 larger assortments going to holiday gatherings I attend. I just can't handle any more people on the list! ;)

But if you follow the 12 days of Christmas, Christmas isn't over until the 6th of  January, look at all that extra time you have to get it done j/k

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #60 on: January 13, 2014, 05:21:12 AM

But if you follow the 12 days of Christmas, Christmas isn't over until the 6th of  January, look at all that extra time you have to get it done j/k

Or, if you are Eastern Orthodox (my background), Christmas Day is on Jan 7th, so even more time. Still, I have to stop at some point or I will never have a life... ;)

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #61 on: January 13, 2014, 07:27:24 AM
taken out for a birthday dinner 20 oz Porterhouse at Lonestar.  Not sure what I will cook on Monday for my actual birthday, I think we have some crab legs in the freezer, and I don't mean that fake stuff.

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #62 on: October 23, 2016, 03:59:12 PM
I'm roasting some butternut squash, carrots, parsnips, onions and sweet potatoes for a yummy fall soup today and I thought of this thread...

Anyone else cooking today?

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #63 on: October 24, 2016, 03:24:54 AM
I'm roasting some butternut squash, carrots, parsnips, onions and sweet potatoes for a yummy fall soup today and I thought of this thread...

I made a giant pot of Portuguese Kale Soup, and I also made apple dumplings.

Was a good day.

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #64 on: October 27, 2016, 09:59:02 PM

Was a good day.

Mmmm Caldo Verde is my favourite soup!

I baked on Sunday. Beet coffee cake. I use this recipe (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/6698/moms-zucchini-bread/), but I substitute beets for the zucchini. Surprisingly, the cake turns out brown, NOT red, though the batter is hot pink before it bakes. The cake has a hint of that earthy beet flavour, but not overpowering. Overall, very good!

TrishEM

• Matross
Reply #65 on: October 28, 2016, 07:08:56 AM

Was a good day.

Mmmm Caldo Verde is my favourite soup!

I baked on Sunday. Beet coffee cake. I use this recipe (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/6698/moms-zucchini-bread/), but I substitute beets for the zucchini. Surprisingly, the cake turns out brown, NOT red, though the batter is hot pink before it bakes. The cake has a hint of that earthy beet flavour, but not overpowering. Overall, very good!

I made a big batch of chili on Monday: Sauteed onion, garlic, sweet peppers, seared some stew beef, then threw it all in the slow cooker with chili powder, roasted paprika, cinnamon, cumin, and formerly-frozen roasted hot peppers from Trader Joe's, left it on high for about 9 hours until the meat was tender. Served with dollops of plain yogurt (in lieu of sour cream). My go-to cold-weather favorite.

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #66 on: October 28, 2016, 11:11:22 AM

Interesting!  We've grown beets before, but I don't care for them that much. I bet I would like this though!

Not-a-Robot

Reply #67 on: October 30, 2016, 06:16:16 PM
Sunday over.

Homemade pancakes for breakfast, baked spaghetti squash for lunch, home made pizza for dinner. Oh yeah, we also carved pumpkins and roasted the seeds.

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #68 on: October 30, 2016, 09:32:04 PM
Chicken soup. Also a big salad for my lunches this week.

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #69 on: December 31, 2017, 07:04:23 AM
This year's chocolate making month (ChocMaMo?) is finally done, with over 3000 chocolates completed and more than half handed out. Phew, now I can relax.
Here's a picture of some of my truffles for you to enjoy.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 07:11:45 AM by CryptoMe »

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #70 on: January 01, 2018, 11:03:16 PM
3,000? I dunno but that sounds like A LOT to me!! You deserve a medal or something.

(They look gorgeous, BTW)

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #71 on: January 03, 2018, 03:13:00 PM
3,000? I dunno but that sounds like A LOT to me!! You deserve a medal or something.

(They look gorgeous, BTW)

LOL! Yes, that is a lot. That's why it takes a whole month to make that many. I don't know about a medal, but I certainly deserve the accolades I get from my friends and neighbours, who are the happy recipients of these.  ;D

And thanks for the compliment.