Author Topic: PC181: Still Small Voice  (Read 14680 times)

Spindaddy

• Peltast
  • Small god of doughnuts
Reply #25 on: November 22, 2011, 02:48:23 AM
So I was listening to this story on the train home from Hoboken. I found the story exotic and entertaining, but at some point the train rocking back and forth, the low musical sound of the narrator's voice and my own exhaustion crept up on me. I awoke to a voice seemingly out of nowhere:

"I know that you're fucking her and I don't care."

Happens to me all the time.
Haha!n I glad I'm not the only crazy sleepy guy on the train. Or do you mean you get accused...? :p

I'm not evil. I'm corporate.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #26 on: November 23, 2011, 01:59:19 AM
Well, I could get all pedantic and bloviate about the historical motivations James I/VI vs. Henry VIII, but I think the reason is simply that the King simply wanted to send a great big "F... You!" to the Prelate. I doubt, given that what we hear of him, that he thought very deeply about the consequences.

"Bloviate" is a word that should be more in common usage.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #27 on: November 29, 2011, 02:30:34 PM
Hmmm...  I think I'm going to have to relisten to this one.  I recognize the blurb at the beginning of the thread, with the invisibility cloak.  The mention of five gods rings a bell, and the discussion all seems familiar.  But I can't seem to actually recall what happened in the story.  I guess that's a risk I take when I listen to a bunch of episodes back-to-back while trekking for Thanksgiving.

So...  I guess it must not have left a huge impression on me, but I can't comment more specifically until I re-listen.

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #28 on: November 30, 2011, 06:29:15 PM
You might be surprized, but I liked this one.  Yeah it has quite a bit of anti-religion sentiment, but the characters were written very well, as was the world.  I liked the historical parrallels, and of course the dragon methaphor.  Willian Tyndale would have liked that analogy as well.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

iamafish

• Matross
    • Thoughts from a Fish Bowl
Reply #29 on: December 06, 2011, 11:10:23 PM
clearly i'm the only one so far, but the really obvious paralleled to to British History grated with me. Maybe because I'm an English student of History, so Henry VIII, James I and all that has been fairly well covered in my studies, so the parallels really stuck out. I have nothing wrong with stories being set in historical settings, or in setting that strongly resemble historical settings, but one that clearly parallels a particular period, while replacing all the names and screwing around with stuff to make the story work just doesn't work for me. Given the intellectual upheaval and change of the reformation, and the multiplicity of heretic burnings, I don't see why this could not have been an alternative history setting that kept all the actual detail and maybe threw in dragons and magic and all that. Likewise, I don't see why a completely different fantasy situation could not have been created that did not reference actual history so closely, but still set up the right situation. Somehow, this story occupied a halfway house that was somewhat uncomfortable for me.

That's a real shame, because I really liked the characters, plot and themes expressed, I just could not shake the discomfort with the setting - it was too close to alternative history without actually being alternative history.

LaShawn

• Lochage
  • Writer Mommies Rule!
    • The Cafe in the Woods
Reply #30 on: January 27, 2012, 09:34:39 PM
And here's another one I would love to bring to my Bible study group. Maybe I should just start up a Podcastle study group at our church. ^_^

Not much to say about this one. It did remind me of my own ignorance when it comes to Christianity history. Strange--we do a lot of Bible study, but we never study Christianity history as a whole (unless you go to seminary). And I think we're seriously missing out on that, because it gives us a such a narrow view. A lot to think upon.

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #31 on: January 30, 2012, 02:20:56 PM
And here's another one I would love to bring to my Bible study group. Maybe I should just start up a Podcastle study group at our church. ^_^

You totally should! I would definitely attend, ya know, if I was a member at your church. :)