Author Topic: Pseudopod 253: Trying To Stay Dead  (Read 9710 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: October 31, 2011, 07:35:29 PM
Pseudopod 253: Trying To Stay Dead

By Richard S. Crawford
Click the link under his name to discover his world.

Read by Steve Anderson

“Doctor Bell’s assistant led me into the tiny exam room and gestured at the leather-padded chair in the center. ‘Are you ready to do this?’ she asked, smiling.

I hesitated. I’d been psyching myself up for an animectomy for two months, but now the exam room gave me pause. It reminded me of a dentist’s office: The chair in the center of the room sat benignly beneath a single circular lamp that could be moved and aimed in any direction, while beside it lurked a movable desk with a tiny computer and a single instrument that looked like a dentist’s drill. ‘I suppose.’

‘You’re nervous, I can tell.’ The assistant wore a simple pink smock, the kind dental and mental hygienists all over the world wore. Her teeth gleamed an almost unnatural shade of white, and her silky brown hair cascaded lushly over her shoulders. She looked like a model.

And why not? The tiny scar on her left temple and the ever so slightly unfocused look in her eyes told me she’d already had the Snip. She acted happy and well adjusted and was unaware of anything she or I were saying or doing.”

the Parade music is “Restless Spirits - Underscore - Halloween 2″ by Film Composer David Beard. Music from Music Alley.

Happy Halloween, everyone!

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

ElectricPaladin

• Hipparch
  • Holy Robot
    • Burning Zeppelin Experience
Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 07:41:53 PM
I am the King Under the Mountain, and I am the first to comment on this story.

This is one of those rare instances where I want to stand next to Alasdair standing next to the story and say "+1 to everything he just said." That story was brilliant: brilliant concept, brilliant stylistic conceit, brilliant craft - brilliant everything. I was amusedly horrified. Excellent work everyone.

Captain of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Help my kids get the educational supplies they need at my Donor's Choose page.

BAMN

• Extern
Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 12:30:23 AM
No Alistair, he used third person to denote post-snip. Second person was used to denote post-plunge-from-bridge.

Kaa

• Hipparch
  • Trusst in me, jusst in me.
    • WriteWright
Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 07:26:41 PM
...and I'll be next to ElectricPaladin standing next to Alasdair standing next to the story, and I'll be +1ing them both. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. I even kept skipping back to the POV switch to be SURE I heard it and what it signified, and then I listened to the whole thing again. Just...well, brilliant. I wish I had thought of it.

(Note to self: Build time machine...)

I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

About writing || About Atheism and Skepticism (mostly) || About Everything Else

ElectricPaladin

• Hipparch
  • Holy Robot
    • Burning Zeppelin Experience
Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 07:35:38 PM
...and I'll be next to ElectricPaladin standing next to Alasdair standing next to the story...

Hey. 'Sup? Got a light?

Captain of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Help my kids get the educational supplies they need at my Donor's Choose page.

Kaa

• Hipparch
    • WriteWright
Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 08:10:07 PM
Hey. 'Sup? Got a light?

No, but I suspect others will be along, shortly.

I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

Umbrageofsnow

• Hipparch
  • Commenting by the seat of my pants.
Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 09:31:50 PM
I'm... not as excited about this story as you guys.

I did like the changes in POV, I'm a sucker for stylistic trickery, but that was the only enjoyable part of the story for me.  It dragged on longer than I'd have liked, and honestly felt a bit boring.  I guess because I couldn't quite care about the protagonist.  He felt no horror, he just wanted to be dead.  As the woman at the end points out, he was a whiny little bitch.  And then he tries to kill himself and fails, and that's pretty much the story.  I'd have liked it if the protagonist actually struggled to reassert control, or realized that happiness wasn't so great, or if some sort of sentience/resistance movement tried to save him and he resisted because he was just that much of a whiny little bitch.  But I felt no sense of drama, no real emotion.  No stakes.  It felt more like a thought experiment than a story to me, in the tradition of the more dull 50's SF stories.

The most interesting thoughts I've had about this story aren't from the story itself, but it's inspiring me to go read up on philosophical zombies.  Aside from loving the phrase, I think that's a concept we see a lot of in horror, but I wouldn't mind seeing more of.  I'm reminded of a Philip K. Dick story, but I can't place it.  Any help?

upended

• Extern
Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 10:17:51 PM
Personally, I found this story to be deeply disturbing.

About six years ago, I decided that I was miserable, and started seeking psychiatric treatment.
It worked!
I re-enrolled in college and my grades soared.
I started dating and having intimate relationships.
I gave up my vices, including over-eating, smoking, and others, and lost a ton of weight, and got into great shape.

But, who am I?
Did the old me commit suicide?

The drugs cause many disturbing neurological side effects, but I choose to keep taking them.
I've developed a tremor, and have anxiety issues that I never used to have.

I used to spend all of my mental energy contemplating the cosmic horror of our existence.
Is that so wrong?
Is it "right" to join the herd?
I'm certainly rewarded for it.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 02:18:58 AM
There was another story - I can't remember the title or which podcast it was on - which described a truly mechanistic universe, where the main character got his perspective switched and saw the ground as pushing his feet into the air and felt his body smiling and talking on its own while he, the conscious being, was trapped inside and helpless.  That story was a lot more horrific for me.  In this case, as Umbrage said, the protagonist WANTED to die and was just whiny and ineffectual in his attempts to do so.  The tragic end of someone who wants to die is not nearly as sad or horrifying to me as it might otherwise be.  I'm a little sad that someone is messed up enough to want to die, but I'm not bothered by their efforts to do so.  If they really want to die, well, for my money, they're free to do so.  I wish they wouldn't, but unless I'm close enough to them (physically, emotionally, whatever) to be able to help, I see that as their prerogative.  I did enjoy the stylistic tricks, which were nice as a motif. 

If you want a truly horrifying image of what a non-sentient intelligence is like, "Blindsight" is probably the best I've yet seen.  A little hard to read, especially if you don't have a basic knowledge of neurology, but generally worth the effort to do so once.  (It's bleak enough that I don't feel a strong urge to reread it, but I'm glad I read it the one time.)

HoopyFreud

• Extern
Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 03:06:12 PM
I used to spend all of my mental energy contemplating the cosmic horror of our existence.
Is that so wrong?
Is it "right" to join the herd?
I'm certainly rewarded for it.

That IS  a freaky story, man. I assume that it's not so black and white for you, though - you're here, aren't you?
AREN'T YOU?

One thing that I'm surprised that noone's mentioned yet is the Halloween Parade.
That was brilliant, Al.

Oh, and the story was good too.

flashedarling

• Palmer
Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 05:01:04 PM
Whoa, long time listener and lurker but I just had to post about this one. Pseudopod has always been pretty hit or miss for me, I like weird stories but I'm not a "horror fan". This one though was a grand slam!

The funny thing was I kept finding myself disliking aspects of the story one moment only to do a complete 180 a moment later. At first I thought "Ok, man goes in and gets his sense of self removed. That is creepy but only took 5 minutes where is the rest of the story going?" only to enjoy the protagonists later dilemma of regaining his sense of self. Or "Great ... the perfect male fantasy of lively redhead (who is also barefoot) magically appearing at the protagonists time of need" only to turn around after the "twist" when it is apparent that both she and the ex-girlfriend are supposed to represent two different types of audiences. Those who prefer first person and those who prefer third, neither of which who enjoy second person.

I suppose what really made me connect with the story was the same thing that disturbed upended. I find myself at a point in my life where I'm pretty fed up with my own personality flaws and wish I could just throw them all away and be someone new and perfect. Even if that effectively "kills" who I am now by eliminating parts of my personality. Even if I consider them to be bad. So I really got what the protagonist was saying, I don't want to be burdened by the anxieties and distractions brought on by my overly developed sense of self. So even though my path is regimented self improvement and medication I can see the appeal of "the snip" and the angst that followed the failure of the procedure.

slag

• Palmer
Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 05:37:18 PM
"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men. Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers. Pray for powers equal to your tasks. Then the doing of your work shall be no miracle, but you shall be the miracle."

In listening to the story I was reminded of this quote. I think some bishop originally said it.
I didn't really feel like the main character in the story wanted to die as much as live life, I guess, "supermechanically?"
"superlogically?"  I don't know how to put it. But I think it's safe to say that he just wanted the most stress free
life you could possibly ask for.  Which is something that we all do on some level on a daily basis.  I don't know, but what
I do like about the story is how creeped out everyone seems to be by the thought of living that way, even if the main
character seems to want it more than anything.

"Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."

Umbrageofsnow

• Hipparch
  • Commenting by the seat of my pants.
Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 09:39:40 PM
I will say that probably the thing I like most about the Escape Artists forums is that for every story, at least one person loves it, and one person hates it. The crowd may go in different proportions, but someone seems to like or hate everything.  This makes me feel better whenever I hate a story.  As much as I might not have picked a given story were I the all-powerful Edi-Tors, the fact that they seem to make someone happy with each choice gives me great confidence in the podcasts as a continuing force for evil (or good in the case of PodCastle and EP).

Kaa

• Hipparch
    • WriteWright
Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 10:18:29 PM
That's an excellent point, Umbrage. They must be doing something right if they piss off people enough to make them want to tell everyone why they hated it every week. And if they please enough people to make THEM want to tell everyone why they LOVED it every week.

Kudos, Edi-Tors the Magnificent. You are doing good work. :)

yaksox

• Palmer
    • sunny breaks
Reply #14 on: November 05, 2011, 01:29:59 PM
I liked the central idea but felt like ti could've been fleshed out a bit. A somoen mentioned, the process of the self re-emerging could've done with a bit more. I think I would've preferred the MC to battle on a bit more with life and perhaps come a full circle where he's maybe bumbed out about life, but over the sadness of not being a zomber. (PS. I'd been looking at the title of this one all week before listening to it and was dead-certain it was a Z-story.)
I'm also surprised Kirk's "I. Need. My. Pain." wasn't wheeled out in the outtro, because it certainly fits.
God knows I suffer frustration and blood-boiling situations often enough to get at least a little bit of where the MC was at in the beginning, but there's no way I'd opt out of it.

I think that's what bugged me about the story - the character learned nothing.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #15 on: November 07, 2011, 02:43:04 PM
Ugh, this one gave me the creeps!  Ever since I learned what a frontal lobotomy is, the idea has freaked me out, and this was a further extension of that, wherein it has become so widely accepted to get brain-altering surgery that you are an outcast if you DON'T do it.  Not only that, but everyone acted relatively normal on the outside, it was just on the inside that everything was different.

And hey, kudos for finding a worthwhile use for 2nd person narration!  I found the person-shifts confusing when he started slipping back into self, but the confusion was fitting for the scene, and I grasped it well enough to continue on and really enjoy it.

Marguerite

• Editor
    • Cast of Wonders
Reply #16 on: November 09, 2011, 04:20:11 AM
As if traveling for work wasn't difficult enough, I missed THIS brilliant little gem right before Halloween.  Which I also missed.  *sigh*

Sorry if I'm late to the party, but has anyone tried to figure out the case of characters in the annual parade?  Many I get, but several elude me, like the guys in the cars.

Thanks!

Alea Iacta Est!

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #17 on: November 09, 2011, 02:29:58 PM
As if traveling for work wasn't difficult enough, I missed THIS brilliant little gem right before Halloween.  Which I also missed.  *sigh*

Sorry if I'm late to the party, but has anyone tried to figure out the case of characters in the annual parade?  Many I get, but several elude me, like the guys in the cars.

Thanks!

I got almost none of them, though I did enjoy the cadence and mood.  I expect I know at least some of them but it comes in such a flow that I don't have much time to focus on each and so I just enjoy the flood.

There was one I'm sure I got, where it referred to people with too-large eyes talking to a cat.  That sounds like the recent Alice in Wonderland movie--the Johnny Depp Mad Hatter in particular had digitally enhanced freakishly large eyes. 

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #18 on: November 09, 2011, 11:25:59 PM
Here's the text of this year's parade. I'll post the answers in a few days:)

This year the parade starts early, before the sun is even fully down. You can see the first signs of it form aroun the edges of the town, see the first balloons go up, the first skeletons on bags and clothes, the first sing song trick or treat. The parade is coming, and the town is getting ready because this year, the parade is going to be bigger than ever before.

There's a float first. Which is new. A float bearing an altar, a rock which has been hammered flat and wide and which holds a single cave bear skull. There's something stark about it, something powerful and the altar almost seems to hum as it goes past. There are cheers, some jokes, but not as many as usual. The people of the town know what's passing, and they know not to meet it's eyes or draw it's attention.
Behind that comes Pliny the Younger, excitedly discussing the relative merits of ghosts versus pagans as the monster in horror fiction with Bede, who, perhaps, looks a little shifty. Behind them the Prince is arguing with the other Prince, the one who can't seem to decide whether to be angry or crippled with grief. His features keep changing too, tall and dark haired one minute, older and stockier and blonder the next. Behind him, an old man dressed like an advisor looks daggers at the Prince, utterly failing to notice the look on his son's face. The younger man keeps pace with his father, talks like him, moves like him but is invisible. They both hate the variable prince in front of them, that much is certain, but as they pass, it becomes clear that may not be enough.
Behind them come the mad old men, the three Kings arguing over who had the worse time of it, whilst, behind them, come their victims. The drowned and the mutilated, the savaged and the left behind. A litany of lives crushed because a man with a crown had a bad day. All of them look murder at the backs of the kings, none of them are noticed.

It could be worse of course. Behind them come the Revengers and their victims, the bloody tragedies lost in the shadow of one man's pen. Or two, depending on your point of view. To one side of them, not in the parade but near it there's a shadowy figure who seems to be controlling them, manipulating them. We can't see his face, because he doesn't want us to.

He doesn't have it all his own way though. Two men follow the crowd of Elisabethan horrors, both dressed for the occasion and either hurrying to catch up with the Princes or in no hurry to get near them at all. They can't seem to agree on which one is which and one of them keeps coming up with inventions which can't possibly work, or at least work yet, but they're alive and they're unnoticed by the author. For now.

Behind them, the parade bulks out into the occult consulting detectives and the poor, mad blasted citizens of 1920s horror. People with eyes too big for their heads follow a man who appears to be talking to a cat who isn't there, and a group of terrified, innocents, clustered together either for protection or because that way the chances of someone else dying first are higher. Next to them, one man, his face not quite right, mumbles something about fungus. No one makes eye contact.

Their faces are picked out by the Electric Pentagram held aloft by the Occult Scientists. Carnacki's people have had a good year and their numbers have been swelled both by Lovecraft himself, and by a tall, precise man with a beaked nose and a long gait. The man next to him is clearly military, possibly medical and utterly unconvinced by everything the occultists do. They don[t mind and, as he passes by, you can tell, neither does he. Not tht he'd ever let his friend see that. The White Street Society follow on, trying to borrow money from them. They've not had any luck. Yet.

Behind them come the vampires. All of them. The red cloaked horrors, the feral, pallid beasts, the rank and file of the undead mixing in with their huge, primal ancestors and their smaller, glittering cousins. The sparkling vampires get some looks, a few taunts, but not many. Because the 12 figures moving behind them, and the shadowy legions they've brought with them have the stench of death to them, That unique aroma of tragedy and pain and horror and the joy of someone else's blood on your face. No one watches until they go past. No one sees the two little girls following them, hand in hand. Both look sad. One looks FED.

Behind them come the zombies, and the horde of the undead makes the vampire legion look tiny. The zombies who've come from the mall, the zombies who still have their grave clothes on, the zombies that run and the zombies that shuffle and around them, careful, frantic, fragile and human, come the survivors. The polite, harried, blonde haired man with red on him, his doomed friends, his sort of girlfriend. On the other side of the parade, an unusually similar group keeps pace with them. On one side, the friend trips. On the other, a second later, so does his twin. Behind them, the sherriff and his terrified band slope along, moving from shadow to shadow, place to place. The sherriff looks dead eyed, fatigued. He keeps rubbing one hand as though it's sore.

The mood darkens as the zombies pass but it lightens up as classic rock blares out from a pair of cars that elad the next stage of the parade. The two brothers may have different rides, and one has clearly seen better days, but they're travelling as one. In the backseat of one car sits a polite, serious looking young man with dark hair and a trenchcoat. In the back of the other, a slightly older blonde man smiles serenely, leaning forward to whisper to the driver every now and then. Every time he does, the driver looks a little more terrified.

Then come the townsfolk, not the old, traditional towns folk with their torches and pitchforks. These are the townsfolk of the new horror landscape, the polite barman with his idiot brother, the woman with glowing hands observed by two vampires, one dark, one blonde. Ghosts flicker and dance around them, and the blonde vampire in particular, in a certain light, looks drenched in blood, none of it his.

Then, of course, there's the new people. There's always the new people. The angry looking surgeon whose cheerful wife is slightly transparent, being comforted by the odd, polite, young lawyer who's explaining how technially he's not a prophet as such. The couple, busy talking about their new house, busy laughing, neither making eye contact and neither acknowledging how much their house, and the things that iive in it, terrify them.

And then there's the things on the edge of the parade. The half formed terrors. The whispers of monsters and pain and death, all waiting to entertain us. Under the bed.

But not here.

Not now.

Not yet.

Happy Halloween everyone.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #19 on: November 10, 2011, 02:50:57 PM
People with eyes too big for their heads follow a man who appears to be talking to a cat who isn't there,

Here's the line that I'm pretty sure refers to the newest movie incarnation of Alice in Wonderland.

the polite barman with his idiot brother, the woman with glowing hands observed by two vampires, one dark, one blonde. Ghosts flicker and dance around them, and the blonde vampire in particular, in a certain light, looks drenched in blood, none of it his.

I didn't catch this one on the first time round, but now I'm sure this is referring to True Blood series / Sookie Stackhouse novels, referring specifically to Sam Merlotte (though it might be a stretch to call him polite), Tommy Mickins, Sookie Stackhouse, Bill Compton, and Eric Northman.

Hmm... I'm not sure about the others.  I'm generally a little slow at this kind of thing.  Anyone else have guesses?

The Far Stairs

• Peltast
    • A Thousand Lifetimes in an Hour
Reply #20 on: November 11, 2011, 09:58:46 PM
"It could be worse of course. Behind them come the Revengers and their victims, the bloody tragedies lost in the shadow of one man's pen. Or two, depending on your point of view. To one side of them, not in the parade but near it there's a shadowy figure who seems to be controlling them, manipulating them. We can't see his face, because he doesn't want us to."

It's a stretch, but that could refer to The Crying of Lot 49. One of the central plot points of that novel is a Jacobean revenge play written in the style of Shakespeare. The author, Thomas Pynchon, is a notorious recluse.

Do these have to be things that came out in 2011, or could they be things that Alasdair happened to read in 2011?

Jesse Livingston
Head of Historical Archives
The Far Stairs
www.athousandlifetimes.com

Marguerite

• Editor
    • Cast of Wonders
Reply #21 on: November 13, 2011, 06:44:34 PM

Thank you!  A few of my favorites:

Quote from: Alasdair5000
The White Street Society follow on, trying to borrow money from them. They've not had any luck. Yet.

*huge grin*  LOVE the White Street Society. :-)

Which makes me wonder if maybe these couple of paragraphs are references to the upcoming donor stories?

and their smaller, glittering cousins. The sparkling vampires get some looks, a few taunts, but not many.

*chuckle*  Loved this.  :-)

Because the 12 figures moving behind them, and the shadowy legions they've brought with them have the stench of death to them, That unique aroma of tragedy and pain and horror and the joy of someone else's blood on your face. No one watches until they go past. No one sees the two little girls following them, hand in hand. Both look sad. One looks FED.

Any time the number 12 and vampires are together I think of the Vampire: The Masquerade RPG, but it's likely my vampiric knowledge base is just too narrow.

The mood darkens as the zombies pass but it lightens up as classic rock blares out from a pair of cars that elad the next stage of the parade. The two brothers may have different rides, and one has clearly seen better days, but they're travelling as one. In the backseat of one car sits a polite, serious looking young man with dark hair and a trenchcoat. In the back of the other, a slightly older blonde man smiles serenely, leaning forward to whisper to the driver every now and then. Every time he does, the driver looks a little more terrified.

The classic rock and cars reference immediately makes me think of Supernatural, but I don't understand the two men in the back of the cars whispering at the drivers.

being comforted by the odd, polite, young lawyer who's explaining how technially he's not a prophet as such.

OOOO!  Eli Stone!!!  Nice one!!!

Alea Iacta Est!

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #22 on: November 13, 2011, 07:21:20 PM
I'm also surprised Kirk's "I. Need. My. Pain." wasn't wheeled out in the outtro, because it certainly fits.
God knows I suffer frustration and blood-boiling situations often enough to get at least a little bit of where the MC was at in the beginning, but there's no way I'd opt out of it.

I think that's what bugged me about the story - the character learned nothing.

I'd say that the need for pain/free will isn't a theme in this story. I felt that the protag, after tasting the bliss, didn't want to feel any more. It turned a recurring theme on its head, as he preferred the nihilistic ennui to the highs and lows of emotional response. I was pleasantly reminded of the hive mind drug/psionics used by the Visitors in the recent reboot of V, with this story presenting a very personal take on that concept.

There also needs to be a shout out for the reading. The reader appropriately modulated their voice for each tense shift. Superbly done.

The White Street Society follow on, trying to borrow money from them. They've not had any luck. Yet.

Nicely done. Alasdair, did you do the reading for the upcoming White Street Society tale?

Behind them come the zombies, and the horde of the undead makes the vampire legion look tiny. The zombies who've come from the mall [DAWN OF THE DEAD], the zombies who still have their grave clothes on, the zombies that run and the zombies that shuffle and around them, careful, frantic, fragile and human, come the survivors. The polite, harried, blonde haired man with red on him, his doomed friends, his sort of girlfriend. On the other side of the parade, an unusually similar group keeps pace with them. On one side, the friend trips. On the other, a second later, so does his twin. [SHAWN OF THE DEAD] Behind them, the sherriff and his terrified band slope along, moving from shadow to shadow, place to place. The sherriff looks dead eyed, fatigued. He keeps rubbing one hand as though it's sore[THE WALKING DEAD].

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

lisavilisa

• Peltast
Reply #23 on: January 11, 2012, 06:05:42 PM

Where was the answer?

I love this riddle.

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #24 on: February 11, 2012, 06:32:00 PM
Leave it with me:)