Author Topic: Earbud recommendations  (Read 4902 times)

aesculapius

• Extern
on: November 02, 2011, 08:53:13 PM
Hi all,
Long-time listener of Escapepod and Podcastle here. My latest pair of earbuds just had the left side blow out, so I'm looking for a new pair (again). I've tried Apple's, Sennheiser MX560, Skullcandy, and this latest junk pair, all of which seem to die within a couple months. Mainly looking for durability and something that transmits voice well, since I listen to podcasts much more often than music. Any suggestions, folks?

Thanks!

raetsel

• Peltast
    • MCL & Me
Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 09:42:55 PM
I've had a pair of Apple in-ear headphones http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MA850G/B?fnode=MTc0MjU4ODc for nearly two years now and they have been great. Robust, comfortable and excellent sound. I too listen mostly to podcasts and speech comes over really well. They are not cheap ( I was bought mine as a Christmas present ) but I'd gladly buy them myself now I know how good they are.

aesculapius

• Extern
Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 09:56:05 PM
Are these different than the ones that come with the ipod? I have gone through a lot of those... at least 4 sets, and they all end up dying on me. Several of them also seemed to enjoy shocking my ear along the way.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 02:21:12 AM
I know you said durability... and these definitely are not... but I use these ALL the time.  I love them.  The sound quality is great, I can wear them for long periods of time (if they start to hurt a bit you just take them off and pull the back out to loosen them).

They last about 6 months and then start to die on you, but they are only $10 and I think well worth the money and the occasional trip to best buy to get another pair.
As for a durable pair of headphones, can't really help you there.  Those are hard to come by. (which is why I love the cheap option that still sounds great but dies every 6 months)

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 03:07:30 AM
I've been quite pleased with my Bose in-ear earbuds. They've held up better than others and quite comfortable with three sizes of soft plastic caps for a more custom fit.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

eytanz

Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 06:35:06 AM
I had a set of BOSE in-ear headphones about 5 years ago. They kept dying on me. Luckily, they were under warranty and I lived close to a BOSE shop, who would exchange them free of charge - but after 3 or 4 exchanges, I started feeling uncomfortable with it - the shop manager was clearly unhappy to see me (though he was always polite and never gave me any trouble when exchanging the earphones). I ended up just buying a cheaper brand.

Not saying that that's a normal experience - but these days, I much prefer to buy $20 earphones under the assumption that they'll be good from 3 months and then die, rather than buy expensive earphones.

raetsel

• Peltast
    • MCL & Me
Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 05:49:42 PM
Are these different than the ones that come with the ipod? I have gone through a lot of those... at least 4 sets, and they all end up dying on me. Several of them also seemed to enjoy shocking my ear along the way.

As far as I know they are there. In the UK the ones that come with an iPhone or iPod are not total in ear noise cancelling ones but fixed round disc type ones if that makes sense. The ones I use and link to are complete in ear noise cancelling ones with soft plastic "tips" that come in 3 sizes small medium & large. If you look at the picture in the link I first posted you'll see what I am trying to describe.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 03:27:34 PM
My problem with iDevice earbuds is that, over time, I think the amplifier that feeds the sound wears out. By the time my iPhone died (20 months), I had to turn the volume all the way up to hear anything.

I use these:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-V150-Monitor-Series-Headphones/dp/B000092YPR/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320852403&sr=8-1

They used to be only $16. But they're the best cheap headphones I've ever used.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Gamercow

• Hipparch
Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 03:58:06 PM
I always use cup earphones, or at the very least old school pad earphones, or a single over-the ear headset for in the car.  I just don't think that ear buds can give you the sound fidelity or quality that cup 'phones can.

The cow says "Mooooooooo"

Spindaddy

• Peltast
  • Small god of doughnuts
Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 02:36:22 AM
I always use cup earphones, or at the very least old school pad earphones, or a single over-the ear headset for in the car.  I just don't think that ear buds can give you the sound fidelity or quality that cup 'phones can.

I find this is true as well. On the train I've been using ear buds, but I really dont like them. I'm thinking aboutgettign a decent pair of headphones, but I don't want to look like Mixmaster Spindaddy while I wander around the train terminals.

I'm not evil. I'm corporate.

Gamercow

• Hipparch
Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 09:47:19 PM

I find this is true as well. On the train I've been using ear buds, but I really dont like them. I'm thinking aboutgettign a decent pair of headphones, but I don't want to look like Mixmaster Spindaddy while I wander around the train terminals.

I worried about this for a little bit, but then decided the comfort of not have something jammed in my ears and the superior sound quality was worth it.

The cow says "Mooooooooo"

Spindaddy

• Peltast
  • Small god of doughnuts
Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 04:07:20 PM

I worried about this for a little bit, but then decided the comfort of not have something jammed in my ears and the superior sound quality was worth it.
Good point. My other fear is spending cash on a really nice set and then having them get killed in the commute.

I'm not evil. I'm corporate.