Author Topic: EP319: Driving X  (Read 13923 times)

Julio

• Extern
Reply #25 on: November 30, 2011, 09:36:32 PM
Maybe the 1% spontaneous mutation rate has to hit every year for it to make a difference.
2) after 40 years males are down to 45% and by then you'd think people would have noticed and started to take action before it got worse.
For the story to make sense you're right, it has to be something of pandemic proportions. Maybe a virus could be a solution, but it would have to affect a lot more than 1%, maybe an incidence of 5-15% on the entire population would do the trick for the scenario. It would also have to be complete subclinical, everyone would be assymptomatic, so it would be too late until people noticed.

Gamercow

• Hipparch
Reply #26 on: December 02, 2011, 05:21:42 PM
Maybe the 1% spontaneous mutation rate has to hit every year for it to make a difference.
2) after 40 years males are down to 45% and by then you'd think people would have noticed and started to take action before it got worse.
For the story to make sense you're right, it has to be something of pandemic proportions. Maybe a virus could be a solution, but it would have to affect a lot more than 1%, maybe an incidence of 5-15% on the entire population would do the trick for the scenario. It would also have to be complete subclinical, everyone would be assymptomatic, so it would be too late until people noticed.

Another possibility:  Global war could have killed off a large chunk of the population.  Not sure how post-apocalyptic this world was.  And for pete's sake, why didn't she take I-10? 

The cow says "Mooooooooo"

raetsel

• Peltast
    • MCL & Me
Reply #27 on: December 06, 2011, 02:11:18 PM
Another possibility:  Global war could have killed off a large chunk of the population.  Not sure how post-apocalyptic this world was.  And for pete's sake, why didn't she take I-10? 

There was a sort of scarce resource, badlands, societal collapse to the piece. Water shortage etc. but it didn't specifically say that. Plus in most wars these days the majority of casualties are civilian and so would probably not have that strong a male virus.

Gamercow

• Hipparch
Reply #28 on: December 07, 2011, 04:54:35 PM
There was a sort of scarce resource, badlands, societal collapse to the piece. Water shortage etc. but it didn't specifically say that. Plus in most wars these days the majority of casualties are civilian and so would probably not have that strong a male virus.

My point was more along the idea that the war/disease/whatever caused not only the scare resource/badlands/societal collapse, but also killed much of the population before that took place.  This would allow for the 1% genetic change to affect things much more quickly than it would with 7 billion people, or however large the "before-event" population was.

The cow says "Mooooooooo"

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #29 on: December 07, 2011, 05:47:02 PM
An interesting idea here, but two things distracted me from liking it more:

1.  The complete lack of ending. 

2.  I'm getting sick of stories that jump forward and backward in time like that.  It's done way too often already, AFAIC.  I rarely find it as compelling as a chronological story because in the past sections there is very little tension--we know where we end up so all that's left to do is infodumping, usually.  It works even worse in audio because it's often unclear where the section breaks are, leaving me confused at regular intervals when characters that I thought to be dead suddenly reappear, settings change with no explanation, etc... 

3.  The nagging question of trying to understand how all the genetics work took up most of my thinking time.  I kept wondering how such a gene would even develop in a species.  It doesn't provide any evolutionary advantage, in fact gives a disadvantage in making finding mating pairs much more rare.  So how would it develop in the first place?
--I tend to think that raetsel is right, that it would affect the population on a much slower scale than the story suggests.  Take into account that for the population to get down to 3% the previous generation's men would all have to have died already.  There would be a lot more cases of one man having multiple sex partners, and them being a younger age until that point, but there should be plenty of time to diagnose the problem before it becomes intractable.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #30 on: December 25, 2011, 05:26:04 AM
I had a play around with that on a spreadsheet and it depends how many Xd ( my symbol for driver x ) spontaneously appear to start with.

I am in SciFi Geek heaven! I enjoyed the story, but I am enjoying the totally nerdy genetics discussion here even more! Yeay spreadsheets!  ;D
Thank you all!

hardware

• Matross
Reply #31 on: January 11, 2012, 07:59:25 AM
All genetics nerdery aside (I think biologically you can make it work, but only if you see it as a alternate history), this was a nice story without reaching the highest peaks. The world felt pretty much lived-in, and the flashbacks were relevant for the characters and world. I actually didn't mind the ending coming at the point it did, but then again, I never understood why the 3 act structure is so holy for people. What the story didn't quite succeed with was to give the sense of real conflict or danger that was needed to give weight do the decision taken by the protagonist.

TheTrueBrian

• Extern
    • The Voices In My Head
Reply #32 on: February 06, 2012, 04:38:03 PM
Oddly, it wasn't the genetics that bugged me, it was Mur's mispronunciation of " Tohono O'odham." The glottal stop means you pronounce both "O" sounds in the second word. "Tohono-oh-odam."

Probably have to be a native desert rat to know these things. ;)

Brian, Narrator:
PC 81
PP 251
PP 303

LaShawn

• Lochage
  • Writer Mommies Rule!
    • The Cafe in the Woods
Reply #33 on: April 24, 2012, 04:01:50 PM
I think this is the first time I got confused by the story, went to the forum for clarification and got even MORE confused. Sadly, can't beat my head around genetics, no matter how hard I try, so I'm just going to assume that in this story Men=rare, Women=too many, Double X Women=Something vaguely bad that doesn't allow them to get pregnant and thus make them into pariahs. Oh, and Southern California has reverted to No Man's Land, literally, and there are roving bands of men...which are rare...

Uhhhh...

I finally had to turn my brain off and just listen. Which was fine, because it was much more enjoyable when I didn't have to think.

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly