Author Topic: PC151: Wizard's Apprentice  (Read 13249 times)

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #25 on: May 12, 2011, 11:14:14 AM
I think I must be being incredibly dim this morning (in my defence it is still early). I came on here to see if anyone was as confused as I am about the ending of this one, but no-one seems to have been vexed by it like I am. It all makes sense right up to the last line of dialog:

"What do you want?"

"The Evil Wizard," Smallbone said.

Eh? Who's that who's just come into the shop? Another Mr Smallbone? What's all that about? Is this something to do with the door spell (the old wizard going out back and coming in front)? Why?

Please help me.

Otherwise I enjoyed the story for what it was, and liked the old-style omniscient storytelling mode.

The story doesn't say who came in the front door, it doesn't matter. The young guy dressed up like the Evil Mr. Smallbone to maintain the illusion that there's an Evil Wizard working there, not just a wizard and his apprentice. he didn't go out and come back in, he moved from the backroom to the front room, then let in whomever had come calling and began his act.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #26 on: May 12, 2011, 04:10:27 PM
I think I must be being incredibly dim this morning (in my defence it is still early). I came on here to see if anyone was as confused as I am about the ending of this one, but no-one seems to have been vexed by it like I am. It all makes sense right up to the last line of dialog:

"What do you want?"

Eh? Who's that who's just come into the shop? Another Mr Smallbone? What's all that about? Is this something to do with the door spell (the old wizard going out back and coming in front)? Why?

Please help me.

Otherwise I enjoyed the story for what it was, and liked the old-style omniscient storytelling mode.

The story doesn't say who came in the front door, it doesn't matter. The young guy dressed up like the Evil Mr. Smallbone to maintain the illusion that there's an Evil Wizard working there, not just a wizard and his apprentice. he didn't go out and come back in, he moved from the backroom to the front room, then let in whomever had come calling and began his act.

Pretty much this. Essentially at the end of the story, Smallbone and Nick are both wizards. They just have to arm-wrestle for who's going to dress up as the evil wizard and go deal with the paying customers.

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #27 on: May 12, 2011, 07:35:50 PM
Essentially at the end of the story, Smallbone and Nick are both wizards. They just have to arm-wrestle for who's going to dress up as the evil wizard and go deal with the paying customers.

Or rather, who's not going to.

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #28 on: May 12, 2011, 08:21:17 PM
Right!

Sorry, I was projecting there. I always want to be the evil wizard  ;)

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #29 on: May 13, 2011, 03:20:47 AM
Right!

No, don't tell me... you put on your wizard hat and robe, right?

Gamercow

• Hipparch
Reply #30 on: May 13, 2011, 02:27:21 PM
Right!

I just can't imagine a maniacal laugh coming from you, DKT.

The cow says "Mooooooooo"

justenjoying

• Peltast
Reply #31 on: January 09, 2012, 06:11:20 AM
This is a "Fun" story in the true sense. It's like an old fastioned hero drama, just it happens to be a wizard instead. It's pure frivilous fun that leaves you cheering at the end. I loved it. It had just the right amount of twists and turns and a book store I want to visit.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #32 on: February 08, 2012, 02:18:52 AM

"What do you want?"

Please help me.

I was in the same boat. It still doesn't quite jive for me. If "The evil wizard" is in response to the evil wizard's question to the visitor, why did Smallbone say it?

e.g.

This works for me:
Person playing the evil wizard: "What do you want?"
Visitor: "The evil wizard"

This doesn't:
Person playing the evil wizard: "What do you want?"
Smallbone: "The evil wizard"

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”