Escape Artists
July 29, 2014, 03:52:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PC184: Black Swan, White Swan  (Read 2845 times)
ElectricPaladin
Hipparch

Holy Robot

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2011, 11:55:41 AM »

By the way... if you'd just fallen into an icy lake and then been resuscitated, intubated, and IV'd up, I don't care if it's been a week or 10 days (I forget how long she was in a coma), you wouldn't be hot. You'd probably be a little thin, have hollows under your eyes despite a lot of sleep, etc... I mean, we all don't look like guest stars on Grey's Anatomy post-surgery. I'm _not_ hot, but a day after surgery, I took a picture of myself and I looked miserable -- exhausted, rings under my eyes, hair all messed up, unable to shower due to the incision on my stomach... and it only got worse from there. And I didn't even die; I was just unconscious (anaesthetic). So, Ben's comment of "I know she's hot" annoyed me.
The simple answer is that being doctors, and seeing patients like this all the time, they may have a different aesthetic than you or I.

Well, I've failed at coming up with a suitable analogy, but that explanation makes no sense to me whatsoever. Tongue

The children I teach are fully obnoctified - this does not actually make me think that obnoxious children are adorable. I'm just very patient.

Captain of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Help my kids get the educational supplies they need at my Donor's Choose page.
FireTurtle
Hipparch

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2011, 12:21:06 PM »

The simple answer is that being doctors, and seeing patients like this all the time, they may have a different aesthetic than you or I.

See, to me sick people just look like work.
Why would I bring my work home with me? Yech. This is not to say that I don't like my patients but sexing them up just after they get out of my personal ICU prison? Ewwww. Yeah, there's something way wrong with those two MDs.

“My imagination makes me human and makes me a fool; it gives me all the world and exiles me from it.”
Ursula K. LeGuin
Listener
Hipparch

I place things in locations which later elude me.

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2011, 03:29:42 PM »

See, to me sick people just look like work.
Why would I bring my work home with me? Yech. This is not to say that I don't like my patients but sexing them up just after they get out of my personal ICU prison? Ewwww. Yeah, there's something way wrong with those two MDs.

When Ben appeared and started being all bro-like, I thought the two doctors were going to be swans as well. Ben black and Shea white.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42
Max e^{i pi}
Hipparch

Have towel, will travel.

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2011, 05:33:41 PM »

By the way... if you'd just fallen into an icy lake and then been resuscitated, intubated, and IV'd up, I don't care if it's been a week or 10 days (I forget how long she was in a coma), you wouldn't be hot. You'd probably be a little thin, have hollows under your eyes despite a lot of sleep, etc... I mean, we all don't look like guest stars on Grey's Anatomy post-surgery. I'm _not_ hot, but a day after surgery, I took a picture of myself and I looked miserable -- exhausted, rings under my eyes, hair all messed up, unable to shower due to the incision on my stomach... and it only got worse from there. And I didn't even die; I was just unconscious (anaesthetic). So, Ben's comment of "I know she's hot" annoyed me.

Well, I've failed at coming up with a suitable analogy, but that explanation makes no sense to me whatsoever. Tongue

The children I teach are fully obnoctified - this does not actually make me think that obnoxious children are adorable. I'm just very patient.
I dunno. It didn't seem weird to me at the time, and it still doesn't. People's tastes are purely subjective, and the environment can and does have a strong influence on it. Just because you (plural) don't see how the doctors could be attracted to their patient doesn't mean that they can't be.

Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted!

Nanogeist
Extern

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2011, 07:57:19 PM »

OK, much to my surprise I seem to be in the minority on this one.  I absolutely LOVED this story.  I thought the writing was beautiful, and the ending just sealed the deal for me. 

I loved the story so much I immediately went and shared it on Google+. 

Then I went and shared it on Facebook. 

Then I went through the space-time rift in the back of my clothes closet forward in time to share it on social networking sites that don't exist yet.

Then I went back through the rift to Ancient Greece to share it with them. Last time I do that though.  My Ionic Greek is far too rusty and trying to explain Creative Commons licensing to the Ancient Greeks was Hell (or Tartarus in this case).
LaShawn
Editor

Writer Mommies Rule!

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2012, 11:12:00 AM »

This was a pretty story, but I was confused by the swan element. Like Listener, I thought that Shea was the white swan (not Ben, though) and Adele/Delia was the black swan. I thought that right up to the very end, when the two swans fly off and I thought, awww...well, at least they're together. Then it showed Shea on the ground and I thought, wait, what?

I guess I need to read this one to catch the nuances. I also wished to listen to the piano pieces, since the only one I recognized was Ave Maria.

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: