Author Topic: EP333: Asteroid Monte  (Read 15031 times)

InfiniteMonkey

• Lochage
  • Clearly, I need more typewriters....
Reply #25 on: February 28, 2012, 10:52:05 PM
the idea of how a predator species would view herbivore vis-a-vis consumption seems to be mute.

moot?

moose

D'oh!

Egg, meet face.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #26 on: February 29, 2012, 08:29:38 AM
The whole story felt very Larry Niven to me. This is a good thing!

The herbivore bit, in particular, might have been an explicit shout-out to some of the conversations with Nessus and Speaker-To-Animals in Ringworld.

Olivaw! Thought you were dead! Good to see I was wrong.

Gamercow

• Hipparch
Reply #27 on: February 29, 2012, 05:19:55 PM
The whole "you're so bad at following the rules that we're going to give you a job where there are no rules, only results" mentality.

This recruitment technique definitely exists in some government agencies.  The NSA(National Security Agency) in the US is one of them.

The cow says "Mooooooooo"

Max e^{i pi}

• Hipparch
  • Have towel, will travel.
Reply #28 on: February 29, 2012, 06:12:43 PM
The whole "you're so bad at following the rules that we're going to give you a job where there are no rules, only results" mentality.

This recruitment technique definitely exists in some government agencies.  The NSA(National Security Agency) in the US is one of them.
Also I think that many hackers who get caught breaking into business or government systems end up getting a job offer when they get out of jail (and sometimes they get out of jail sooner if they accept the offer). I'm almost certain that I've read about more than one such case, but right now I cannot find any sources for this.

Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted!

olivaw

• Matross
Reply #29 on: February 29, 2012, 06:21:41 PM
Olivaw! Thought you were dead! Good to see I was wrong.

Hi!
I'm getting sporadic access to the feeds at the moment, and don't always end up listening when I can give the stories full attention.
There's been a bunch of good stuff recently, though.

SF.Fangirl

• Peltast
Reply #30 on: March 02, 2012, 07:56:13 PM
I liked it but didn't love it, but I am excited to listen to my kind of science fiction story.  I enjoyed the ideas more than the plot (I think because the mystery seemed really easily solved), and thought the world building was great.  I'd read a novel about these guys' adventures.

The only real negative is that the human showed the only brains in the operation even if the Briaa was "in charge."  Briaa was useless and shows no sign that she'd have ever solved this on her own or lived through this case since her decision to leave the ship nearly got them killed.  That level of incompetance kind of strectched my suspision of disbelief.  As the more experience, she should have brought something to team.

Rhio2k

• Extern
Reply #31 on: March 03, 2012, 09:58:54 PM
I certainly do hope there's  more stories featuring this duo! I love stories featuring mixed-species partnerships. Too damn rare in sci-fi. I think the last one we had here was "How I mounted Goldie, saved my partner Lori, and sniffed out The People's Justice" some...what, 4 years ago?

Kaa

• Hipparch
  • Trusst in me, jusst in me.
    • WriteWright
Reply #32 on: March 05, 2012, 04:59:13 AM
The title of this one gave away the revelation, so I have to say that I think it's a poorly chosen title. But I really liked the story, and I especially liked that, like someone else before me pointed out, humans aren't the BEST most SPECTACULAR, UNIQUESTESTEST MOST OMG-FANTASTIC species the entire galaxy has ever seen in the 14-billion-year history of ever! I get sick of that particular trope, so yay!

I also liked the wonderful explanation at the end about why species that evolved from herbivores are far more dangerous than those that evolved from carni- or omnivores.

I'd really like to see more in this universe.

I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

About writing || About Atheism and Skepticism (mostly) || About Everything Else

Balu

Reply #33 on: March 07, 2012, 12:35:25 AM
I don't have anything to add, except that this was pure, SF class. Good stuff!

JoeFitz

• Matross
Reply #34 on: March 08, 2012, 04:50:48 AM
Going to add myself to the list of listeners who enjoyed this episode. Strong echoes of classic SF icons. The tone of the narrator was outstanding. The reading was nice and subtle where it could have been over-played.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #35 on: March 12, 2012, 01:50:50 AM
Okay, I enjoyed the story at the beginning.
Then we got to the part about the seed-packet shooting mushrooms co-opted into weapons against the bad guys, and all I could think about was....

Plants vs Zombies!!

... after that, I just couldn't concentrate on the story any more.
Funny, but true.  :D

LaShawn

• Lochage
  • Writer Mommies Rule!
    • The Cafe in the Woods
Reply #36 on: May 10, 2012, 07:23:44 PM
This will be another one that I'll have to read versus listen to again. A lot of infodumping, and I couldn't keep myself focused on listening to the story, so much of it washed over me. Sounds interesting though.

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly

cd

• Extern
Reply #37 on: December 24, 2012, 08:24:57 PM
I'm grateful to everyone who posted comments about "Asteroid Monte."  A few people expressed interest in further adventures of Tarkos and Bria.  I'm now publishing a series of linked short novels about them, under the series title Predator Space Chronicles.  The first is up now with Amazon, and will be available on the other eBook platforms later.  It's called Evolution Commandos:  Well of Furies.

-- Craig

Max e^{i pi}

• Hipparch
  • Have towel, will travel.
Reply #38 on: December 24, 2012, 09:06:28 PM
Whoohoo! Another author dropping in to say hi!

Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted!