Escape Artists
September 02, 2014, 04:14:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PC186, Giant Episode: Beyond the Sea Gate of the Scholar Pirates of Sarskoe  (Read 3412 times)
Spindaddy
Peltast

Small god of doughnuts

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2011, 08:43:05 PM »

Man, maybe I'm the Tin-man or something, but I was perfectly cool for Hereward and Fitz to not give a damn about the pirates getting wiped out to a man. They are just a bunch pf maimed pirates, scour of the sea, etc, etc. They've seen more gruesome scenes and witnessed plenty of good people dying.... Really, what are a couple hundred dead pirates? Johnny Depp, my love of wearing an eyepatch and yelling "ARRRRRRR Matey!" every september aside, if you were out to save the world by destroying false gods I sincerely doubt the death of thieving watery thugs is really going to bother you all that much.

What irritated me more was that the fury decided she needed to eat Hereward and thus, another potential girlfriend with a great backstory dies to the puppet. Which, if I remember correctly from the last story, is pregnant. Mr Fitz these pregnant spellcasting puppet is WAAAAAAAAY more scarier than the angry/horny furry pirate captain or a giant starfish voltron god.

Other than that, I must say that I absolutely LOVED the story. Dave, mission complete. You rock sir!

I'm not evil. I'm corporate.
Swamp
Hipparch

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2011, 09:51:30 PM »

I rasie another hand in support of this great tale.  Very nice!  Thanks Dave.

I too need to seek out the previous Hereward and Mr. Fitz tale.  I seem to have missed it.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast
Max e^{i pi}
Hipparch

Have towel, will travel.

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2011, 11:15:46 AM »

I rasie another hand in support of this great tale.  Very nice!  Thanks Dave.

I too need to seek out the previous Hereward and Mr. Fitz tale.  I seem to have missed it.
If you find it, please let us know...

Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted!

DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Editor

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2011, 11:34:56 AM »

Sorry, all. We probably should've linked to it in the original show notes. But here's the original Hereward and Fitz story. Hope those of you who missed it the first time enjoy hearing it now!

kibitzer
Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
EA Staff

Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2011, 09:24:30 PM »

Simply: freakin' awesome! Mr Nix is a real talent. I was a little lukewarm on the first Hereward and Fitz story here but it's grown on me. But this one was flat-out fantastic! A female cannibal pirate chief who's a leopard berserker? A gigantic betoothed starfish godlet? WHAT'S NOT TO LIKE?!

You should also check out his Escape Pod story Infestation, one of the best vampire stories I've heard.

And I will proudly point out again, he's an Aussie!

The reading was great, too. I think Mr Tevis gives Fitz the right voicing and adds to the whole.

Scattercat
Caution:
Editor

Amateur wordsmith

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2011, 07:50:57 AM »

I love these stories, and I am happy to have a text version, since they tend to get a little dense and, as was mentioned above, it's a little hard to "reread" the last paragraph in audio.

One of the things I like best about these stories is how little I like the two main characters.  That is, they're fascinating people, but they're also the kind of goal-driven zealots who absolutely terrify me.  They ARE the sort of people who shrug apathetically at the deaths of hundreds and who kill allies when it becomes necessary with only the smallest twinges of regret.  (I also like the magic system, because "esoteric needle" is fun to say.)

The main complaint I'd have is that Mr. Fitz is *so* awesome and amazing that Sir Hereward tends to get overshadowed.  Like, a lot.  Like, his only real contribution to these quests is serving as Fitz' beard, and when they are inevitably exposed, it still doesn't tend to even impact them much.  That is, Hereward's presence is barely a minor convenience for Fitz, not even a crucial but passive supporting role.

---
Mirrorshards: Very Short Stories
100 Words.  No more.  No fewer.  Every day.
Splinters of Silver and Glass - The Mirrorshards Book
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2011, 09:43:09 AM »

I've never heard "leopard" pronounced the way it was in this story.  I've always heard it "leh-perd" not "lee-oh-pard".  The latter pronunciation makes more sense phonetically, but it's not one I've heard before. 

--David Steffen
The Submissions Grinder:  Fiction market listings, submissions tracker, always free, poetry and nonfiction markets coming soon!
Listener
Hipparch

I place things in locations which later elude me.

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2011, 09:46:42 AM »

The main complaint I'd have is that Mr. Fitz is *so* awesome and amazing that Sir Hereward tends to get overshadowed.  Like, a lot.  Like, his only real contribution to these quests is serving as Fitz' beard, and when they are inevitably exposed, it still doesn't tend to even impact them much.  That is, Hereward's presence is barely a minor convenience for Fitz, not even a crucial but passive supporting role.

I noticed that more in this story than in the last one.

However, without Hereward, Fitz would be set upon for being... whatever he is*... and even Bruce Lee** would eventually fall if you threw enough fighters at him. So Hereward gives Fitz some sort of legitimacy, and allows him to pretend to be something he's not as he completes his quest.

* -- There were a lot of allusions to him having done something bad or been something horrible, centuries ago, in both stories, but I don't think it was ever revealed.

** -- But maybe not Chuck Norris.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42
InfiniteMonkey
Lochage

Clearly, I need more typewriters....

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2011, 11:54:57 AM »

I've never heard "leopard" pronounced the way it was in this story.  I've always heard it "leh-perd" not "lee-oh-pard".  The latter pronunciation makes more sense phonetically, but it's not one I've heard before. 

I had imagined that the word wasn't leopard, but some word the author made up for a, well, leopardthrope. But I didn't read it, so I have no idea what it was in print.
danooli
Lochage

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2011, 02:07:34 PM »

Loved it.  LOVED it.  Like almost everyone else Smiley

I was also OK with the lack of emotion over the dead "thieving watery thugs" (that's' awesome, Spindaddy!) They were the real puppets in the grander plans of Hereward and Fitz.

edited to add: I'd also like to add to the pats on the back Dave gets for going the extra mile for this story!
raetsel
Peltast

« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2011, 06:02:41 AM »

Yes the fact he started out with that disadvantage makes his achievement all the more impressive.  Wink
kibitzer
Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
EA Staff

Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2011, 09:54:17 PM »

Yes the fact he started out with that disadvantage makes his achievement all the more impressive.  Wink

Well, we do get some things right. Like our wines, for example, which compete with the best in the world.

http://www.australiaforum.com/general-chit-chat-news/1940-australian-table-wines-sketch-monty-python.html

raetsel
Peltast

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2011, 06:14:28 AM »

Quote from: kibitzer link=topic=5757.msg95266#msg95266

Well, we do get some things right. Like our wines, for example, which compete with the best in the world.

http://www.australiaforum.com/general-chit-chat-news/1940-australian-table-wines-sketch-monty-python.html

Ah yes that sketch works in a different way these days.

Oh and Australia does produce some excellent podcast narrators of course.
eytanz

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2011, 07:50:10 AM »

I was really enjoying this one for almost the entire length, but felt somewhat disappointed by the ending, specifically, Fury's attack on Hereward and her death. It felt like an afterthought - a loose end that had to be tied - and lacked both tension and depth. I felt her character was more interesting than that, and deserved a more interesting conclusion. Not just "ok, it was obvious all along she'll attack him so here she does, and now she's dead."

But other than that, a lot of fun.
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2011, 12:50:10 PM »

I was really enjoying this one for almost the entire length, but felt somewhat disappointed by the ending, specifically, Fury's attack on Hereward and her death. It felt like an afterthought - a loose end that had to be tied - and lacked both tension and depth. I felt her character was more interesting than that, and deserved a more interesting conclusion. Not just "ok, it was obvious all along she'll attack him so here she does, and now she's dead."

But other than that, a lot of fun.

Yeah, I'd agree with you on that.  She seemed like a real fully-fleshed character, but her ending didn't do her justice.

--David Steffen
The Submissions Grinder:  Fiction market listings, submissions tracker, always free, poetry and nonfiction markets coming soon!
justenjoying
Peltast

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2012, 01:12:42 AM »

I would call this an great adventure story. It drew me in and didn't let go, but I don't know if I would ever come back to it. It was a fun journey that I would not want to retrace, but I think every young adult should. I can definitly see myself reading all about these characters again, but never retrace thier steps.
LaShawn
Editor

Writer Mommies Rule!

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2012, 03:25:35 PM »

Hmm...I wasn't a big fan of the last Hereward and Fitz story, and sadly, this one is the same. Maybe it's because Fitz is like one of those switchblades that has a tool for everything. Hereward gets into a jam and hey presto, Fitz is there to save the day, supply the action, info the dump, etc. In a sense, Hereward was the real puppet, because he did whatever Fitz told him to do. Perhaps that was intended on the author's part, but because of that, they didn't stick with me.  And while I liked Pirate Fury, her death at the end seemed cheap and lazy.

I did find the killer starfish mildly amusing, though.

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: