Escape Artists

News:

News

ATTENTION: NEW FORUM THEME Please see here for details: http://forum.escapeartists.net/index.php?topic=13188.0

Author Topic: "Show don't tell". Always good advice?  (Read 20789 times)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #60 on: April 20, 2007, 04:31:19 PM
Oh yeah, I get what you're saying about wasting time -- you need to be efficient.  I've got no problem with info-dumps and world building (apologies to M. John Harrison), as long as it's done well.  It's just the "I felt like you were showing, and not telling enough" comment was a new one for a rejection.  Usually, it's the other way around.

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #61 on: April 20, 2007, 07:14:03 PM
I don't think it's an unreasonable rejection. Michael Swanwick told us at CW that he thinks there's a real trick in knowing what information to just lay out flat. If your character's a time traveling lesbian vampire (as was the case in the story we were discussing), just say it in the first sentence. If you have to waste 10 pages expositing that, that's ten pages the action doesn't happen.

Depends.  If it's a ten-page vampire lesbian sex scene in the Roman baths, perhaps that's exactly when you want to show and not tell.  >8->

(If you are writing that sort of story.  I am sure it's possible to write a non-erotic time traveling lesbian vampire story...but why?)

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

Rachel Swirsky

• Hipparch
    • PodCastle
Reply #62 on: April 20, 2007, 07:21:22 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Sisters-Lesbian-Vampire-Tales/dp/1555838839

(The story I wrote for the anthology -- which was not about time travel, I fear -- was declined. It's in Cthulhu Sex 13.)

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #63 on: April 20, 2007, 08:43:21 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Sisters-Lesbian-Vampire-Tales/dp/1555838839
(The story I wrote for the anthology -- which was not about time travel, I fear -- was declined. It's in Cthulhu Sex 13.)

Clearly you just need to rewrite it with some time travel, then go back to 2005 and get it accepted.  >8->

(Jots down sudden fully-formed story idea)

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

BlairHippo

• Peltast
    • The Blair Hippo Project
Reply #64 on: April 27, 2007, 06:50:03 PM
Ah, nothing like the urge to answer a question two months after it was asked....

While "Show, Don't Tell" can be carried too far, I think it gets bandied about so much because it's the antidote to a bad habit a lot of writers, particularly beginners, seem to fall into.  Either extreme can and will bring your story to a grinding halt, but I've seen an excess of Tell a lot more than I've seen an excess of Show.

JaredAxelrod

• Palmer
  • 4-Color Hero
    • The Voice Of Free Planetx
Reply #65 on: May 02, 2007, 07:06:42 PM
While "Show, Don't Tell" can be carried too far, I think it gets bandied about so much because it's the antidote to a bad habit a lot of writers, particularly beginners, seem to fall into.  Either extreme can and will bring your story to a grinding halt, but I've seen an excess of Tell a lot more than I've seen an excess of Show.

Good point; I don't think I've ever read a book and thought, "Y'know, this writer "shows" too much, I'm bored."
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 07:09:43 PM by JaredAxelrod »