Escape Artists

News:

News

ATTENTION: NEW FORUM THEME Please see here for details: http://forum.escapeartists.net/index.php?topic=13188.0

Author Topic: EP324: Long Winter’s Nap  (Read 9492 times)

Kaa

• Hipparch
  • Trusst in me, jusst in me.
    • WriteWright
Reply #20 on: January 03, 2012, 06:22:16 PM
I commented on this a long while back. Often, I forget which podcast I'm listening to because I hear the introduction, am interrupted, and then simply resume. It might be hours later.

This is one of those stories that could have been on any one of the three Escape Artists podcasts, given a different ending.

The ending it has lands it firmly in the Escape Pod category.

If she'd been 'kidnapped' or simply had her dreams shattered, it would be more suitable for Pseudopod.

I'm not sure what ending would have landed it on Podcastle. Maybe if there'd been a final scene of her remembering how, years before, she'd had a delusion about living all alone on an ice planet before being rescued or something.

Sometimes, I find it amusing to muse on how a story could go any of a number of ways, but we can sort of guess depending on which one of the three podcasts it's on. :) "This is Escape Pod and it's not Hugo Month, so this is probably going to have a happy/fun ending."

(For Hugo Month, all bets are most definitely off.)

I invent imaginary people and make them have conversations in my head. I also write.

About writing || About Atheism and Skepticism (mostly) || About Everything Else

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #21 on: January 03, 2012, 09:48:22 PM
Slowly catching up on my podcast queue from the Christmas break. It was a lot of fun to try and figure out what was actually going on through the lens of Littlest One's perspective. I was also relieved that Nanny decided to let her go, because I definitely did NOT want to see her handed over to the authorities! More from this world would be great fun. :D

Gary

• Peltast
Reply #22 on: January 05, 2012, 08:03:28 PM
Didn't care for this one.
It had a good sci-fi/future idea in it(a new ice age and how some evolved to deal with it) but it didn't bring that in until very near the end and then only just touched on it.
I think I would have very much enjoyed that story. This one just felt to me like another "Christmas, it's all a big lie!" soapbox lecture with unusual characters and setting added to make it seem "new".
Guess I'm the only one who took it that way though so consider me an errant data point.

Not a total loss for me though. That pun - "Bang for the Buck" - made it all worth while.  ;D

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #23 on: January 05, 2012, 08:38:39 PM
This was an enjoyable enough story. I won't necessarily remember it amid the rest of the Christmas stories presented by every podcast I listen to in the month of December, but I liked it just fine.

It had a good sci-fi/future idea in it(a new ice age and how some evolved to deal with it) but it didn't bring that in until very near the end and then only just touched on it.

I don't know if it was an ice age, per se, or just a really cold part of the US. Early on they said something about Saginaw, which is in Michigan. According to the Weather Channel, it was pretty darn cold there in December: http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/USMI0739?month=-1 ... and here's historical temps for the past ten years in Saginaw: http://weather-warehouse.com/WeatherHistory/PastWeatherData_Saginaw3_Saginaw_MI_November.html

If animals generally start hibernating in fall, then I don't see why it wouldn't have been cold enough for the tribe to start hibernating the usual time.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Gary

• Peltast
Reply #24 on: January 05, 2012, 09:51:51 PM
I don't know if it was an ice age, per se, or just a really cold part of the US.

I can understand how you'd miss it. It was this bit thrown in near the end -
“Transgenic? Isn’t that illegal?” said the mama.

“It wasn’t always,” said the Daddy.

“There were dozens of isolationist political factions at the time of the diaspora that may have used transgenic technology to survive the Ice Age,” said Nanny.

As I said, THAT is a story line I would like to hear about!

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #25 on: January 06, 2012, 03:14:15 PM
I don't know if it was an ice age, per se, or just a really cold part of the US.

I can understand how you'd miss it. It was this bit thrown in near the end -

You are correct, sir.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #26 on: January 15, 2012, 05:30:12 AM
I found Nanny a very interesting character also. But, the fact that he "wore metal bands around his wrists and his neck" made me think that he was a slave, not a robot. Also, something about the discussion of transgenics made me wonder if Nanny was a kind of transgenic, specifically designed for enslavement and servitude....

Otherwise, I found the story lack-lustre. The little girl was just not appealing to me - she was obviously calculated to be cute, but was really just a stupid brat who could have gotten herself killed. With that in mind, the ending was just too pat. I feel she needed to learn a lesson from her rebellious escapade, not be rewarded with an elevation to adulthood (in her own mind, at least).

Max e^{i pi}

• Hipparch
  • Have towel, will travel.
Reply #27 on: January 15, 2012, 08:24:04 AM
I found Nanny a very interesting character also. But, the fact that he "wore metal bands around his wrists and his neck" made me think that he was a slave, not a robot. Also, something about the discussion of transgenics made me wonder if Nanny was a kind of transgenic, specifically designed for enslavement and servitude...
Couldn't be, transgenics were outlawed.

Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted!

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #28 on: January 26, 2012, 03:15:18 AM
I found Nanny a very interesting character also. But, the fact that he "wore metal bands around his wrists and his neck" made me think that he was a slave, not a robot. Also, something about the discussion of transgenics made me wonder if Nanny was a kind of transgenic, specifically designed for enslavement and servitude...

Yes, and outlawing people is a great way to force them into slavery....

eytanz

Reply #29 on: January 26, 2012, 04:22:14 PM

It wasn't clear from the story whether the people were outlawed, or it was genetic modification that was outlawed - I took it as the latter, meaning that the law prohibited further genetic manipulation, not that there was a slave class of transgenics.

Max e^{i pi}

• Hipparch
  • Have towel, will travel.
Reply #30 on: January 26, 2012, 05:39:46 PM

It wasn't clear from the story whether the people were outlawed, or it was genetic modification that was outlawed - I took it as the latter, meaning that the law prohibited further genetic manipulation, not that there was a slave class of transgenics.
That's what I meant, thank you for clearing it up. :)

Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted!

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #31 on: February 27, 2012, 05:16:25 PM
This story had some interesting ideas.  I like a novel POV character, so I enjoyed that this stuck to its POV very well for this transgenic child.  I thought Nanny was an interesting component, I too thought that he was a slave (though I didn't think he was transgenic, just a human slave), and interesting that however they have him bound he was able to thwart the will of the Hots to allow their prisoner to leave. 

So I liked some aspects of it, but overall it was pretty predictable, and I got the impression I was supposed to like the girl more than I did. 

LaShawn

• Lochage
  • Writer Mommies Rule!
    • The Cafe in the Woods
Reply #32 on: April 26, 2012, 07:23:28 PM
Another cute story.
The mommy in me is going AUUUUUGHHH!!! while the child in me is giggling with glee. It's the whole 'sneaking around while everyone else is asleep' thing. In some ways, a little dangerous, but how else to learn about the world. Uh...don't tell my son that.

On another note, We never did tell my 7-year-old son about Santa Claus. He knows that it's really only a guy in a red suit. But the magic of finding presents under the tree Christmas morning is still there. So it's still good.

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly