Author Topic: EP324: Long Winter’s Nap  (Read 14913 times)

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #25 on: January 06, 2012, 03:14:15 PM
I don't know if it was an ice age, per se, or just a really cold part of the US.

I can understand how you'd miss it. It was this bit thrown in near the end -

You are correct, sir.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #26 on: January 15, 2012, 05:30:12 AM
I found Nanny a very interesting character also. But, the fact that he "wore metal bands around his wrists and his neck" made me think that he was a slave, not a robot. Also, something about the discussion of transgenics made me wonder if Nanny was a kind of transgenic, specifically designed for enslavement and servitude....

Otherwise, I found the story lack-lustre. The little girl was just not appealing to me - she was obviously calculated to be cute, but was really just a stupid brat who could have gotten herself killed. With that in mind, the ending was just too pat. I feel she needed to learn a lesson from her rebellious escapade, not be rewarded with an elevation to adulthood (in her own mind, at least).

Max e^{i pi}

• Hipparch
  • Have towel, will travel.
Reply #27 on: January 15, 2012, 08:24:04 AM
I found Nanny a very interesting character also. But, the fact that he "wore metal bands around his wrists and his neck" made me think that he was a slave, not a robot. Also, something about the discussion of transgenics made me wonder if Nanny was a kind of transgenic, specifically designed for enslavement and servitude...
Couldn't be, transgenics were outlawed.

Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted!

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #28 on: January 26, 2012, 03:15:18 AM
I found Nanny a very interesting character also. But, the fact that he "wore metal bands around his wrists and his neck" made me think that he was a slave, not a robot. Also, something about the discussion of transgenics made me wonder if Nanny was a kind of transgenic, specifically designed for enslavement and servitude...

Yes, and outlawing people is a great way to force them into slavery....

eytanz

Reply #29 on: January 26, 2012, 04:22:14 PM

It wasn't clear from the story whether the people were outlawed, or it was genetic modification that was outlawed - I took it as the latter, meaning that the law prohibited further genetic manipulation, not that there was a slave class of transgenics.

Max e^{i pi}

• Hipparch
  • Have towel, will travel.
Reply #30 on: January 26, 2012, 05:39:46 PM

It wasn't clear from the story whether the people were outlawed, or it was genetic modification that was outlawed - I took it as the latter, meaning that the law prohibited further genetic manipulation, not that there was a slave class of transgenics.
That's what I meant, thank you for clearing it up. :)

Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted!

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #31 on: February 27, 2012, 05:16:25 PM
This story had some interesting ideas.  I like a novel POV character, so I enjoyed that this stuck to its POV very well for this transgenic child.  I thought Nanny was an interesting component, I too thought that he was a slave (though I didn't think he was transgenic, just a human slave), and interesting that however they have him bound he was able to thwart the will of the Hots to allow their prisoner to leave. 

So I liked some aspects of it, but overall it was pretty predictable, and I got the impression I was supposed to like the girl more than I did. 

LaShawn

• Lochage
  • Writer Mommies Rule!
    • The Cafe in the Woods
Reply #32 on: April 26, 2012, 07:23:28 PM
Another cute story.
The mommy in me is going AUUUUUGHHH!!! while the child in me is giggling with glee. It's the whole 'sneaking around while everyone else is asleep' thing. In some ways, a little dangerous, but how else to learn about the world. Uh...don't tell my son that.

On another note, We never did tell my 7-year-old son about Santa Claus. He knows that it's really only a guy in a red suit. But the magic of finding presents under the tree Christmas morning is still there. So it's still good.

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly