Author Topic: Futurama  (Read 18215 times)

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
on: February 20, 2007, 08:58:17 PM
because we don't have a Futurama thread yet.

Best scifi show on TV for a while, still one of the best in reruns. Anyone else love the antics of Fry, Leela, Bender, Zoidberg, et al?

My favorite episode is "Loves Labors Lost in Space" where Leela has to sleep with idiot captain Zapp Brannigan to get permission to evacuate endangered animals from a planet that is about to implode.

Second favorite isĀ  "The Luck of the Fryish" where Fry goes on a quest to find the lucky 7-leaf clover he has as a kid.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 01:17:21 AM by jrderego »

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 10:49:32 PM
He did the nasty in the pasty.

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 11:28:00 PM
How many atmosphere's of pressure can the ship withstand, professor?
Well, it is a SPACE ship so somewhere between zero and one.

Life is a multiple choice test. Unfortunately, the answers are not provided.  You have to go and find them before picking the best one.

JaredAxelrod

• Palmer
  • 4-Color Hero
    • The Voice Of Free Planetx
Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 04:31:30 PM
"Isn't that the machine that makes glowing fake noses?"
"It does other things!  Why shouldn't it?"

Why shouldn't it, indeed....

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 12:11:39 AM
"Hey you!  Get off my property!"
"You can't owwwwn property, man."

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 10:51:14 AM
'How are the kids,Morbo?'
'NUMEROUS!  AND BELLIGERENT!'

Startrekwiki

Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 12:41:45 PM
Dr. Zoidberg monologue:
[*Talking to a slinky*] "There little friend. Good as new. [*Pushes the slinky. It falls a few times, then explodes into a fiery
 ball of junk*] Awhawhawhawhawhaw".

You probably raised your eyebrows at that. There is a visual version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQQm30_Z9hg
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 12:46:03 PM by Startrekwiki »

MustardTent

• Extern
Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 09:47:07 PM
Funniest show ever.  Can't wait for the new episodes in '08.

Brannigan:  Kif, I have made it with a woman.  Inform the men.

RichGarner

• Palmer
  • Metalface Creator
    • Metalface RPG
Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 02:10:29 AM
"We tore the universe a new space hole all right!" -the professor

We don't have to wait until '08... they are releasing the episodes direct to DVD this Christmas!!!

"...for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart." -Ecclesiastes 7:2

wakela

• Hipparch
    • Mr. Wake
Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 11:35:48 AM
We don't have to wait until '08... they are releasing the episodes direct to DVD this Christmas!!!

I didn't know that. 
That really is good news, everyone!

jrderego

• Hipparch
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 12:53:28 PM
"We tore the universe a new space hole all right!" -the professor

That really is great news, and as I understand it they were able to get all of the original voice talent back for their roles too. :)

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 01:43:08 PM

Life is a multiple choice test. Unfortunately, the answers are not provided.  You have to go and find them before picking the best one.

RichGarner

• Palmer
  • Metalface Creator
    • Metalface RPG
Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 03:26:39 PM
Not just all the original voice talent... the original writers, producers, animators... only a couple from the old crew were unable to make it back.

The series will pick up explaining the long pause of cancellation as well as getting right into exploring the Fry&Leila relationship. First guest planned: Al Gore (of course)

"...for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart." -Ecclesiastes 7:2

Jonathan C. Gillespie

• Matross
  • Writer of Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Horror
    • Jonathan C. Gillespie, Author
Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 04:10:26 PM
"Godfellas" was probably my all-time favorite, as it is not only hilarious, but has very serious, thought-provoking undertones.

I love this show.

Published genre fiction author with stories in print and upcoming.

Official site: http://jonathancg.net/ | Twitter: JCGAuthor | Facebook

Startrekwiki

Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 12:13:17 AM
I like Futurama because a fair bit of it is a big parody of Star Trek. Since I know Trek pretty well, all of the inside jokes bubble up to the surface of my conscience while watching, and I burst out laughing. Much to the interest of my friends, who have no idea what is so funny. They must have a Memory Alpha consultant.

All of this to say, that this ranks among my favorite comedic TV shows!

jrderego

• Hipparch
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #15 on: April 12, 2007, 12:33:28 PM
I like Futurama because a fair bit of it is a big parody of Star Trek. Since I know Trek pretty well, all of the inside jokes bubble up to the surface of my conscience while watching, and I burst out laughing. Much to the interest of my friends, who have no idea what is so funny. They must have a Memory Alpha consultant.

All of this to say, that this ranks among my favorite comedic TV shows!

You've seen the one where Fry and the gang head off to recover the Star Trek videotapes that were all blasted into space and finds the cast there as well having to live their roles as Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Uhura, Sulu, Chekov, and "Welchie"?

That is one of the best episodes of the show.

Startrekwiki

Reply #16 on: April 12, 2007, 01:54:50 PM
Yes! It's one of my favorites.

RichGarner

• Palmer
  • Metalface Creator
    • Metalface RPG
Reply #17 on: April 12, 2007, 03:21:57 PM
Overheard at the forced Star Trek convention...

Bender: Uh, can people who hate Star Trek leave?

Walter Koenig: Good question!

Melvar: NO! You have to stay even longer!

Startrekwiki

Reply #18 on: April 12, 2007, 06:16:21 PM
You've seen the one where Fry and the gang head off to recover the Star Trek videotapes that were all blasted into space and finds the cast there as well having to live their roles as Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Uhura, Sulu, Chekov, and "Welchie"?

Just out of curiosity, who is "Welchie"?

jrderego

• Hipparch
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #19 on: April 12, 2007, 06:19:52 PM

He was the character filling in for Scotty because James Doohan was too sick to voice the part of Scotty.

RichGarner

• Palmer
  • Metalface Creator
    • Metalface RPG
Reply #20 on: April 13, 2007, 09:30:54 PM

He was the character filling in for Scotty because James Doohan was too sick to voice the part of Scotty.

Actually, I understand that Doohan was not actually sick, but refused to participate. Which is why his name was not even mentioned. They simply said, "the guy that plays Scotty..." If he were sick, he could at least give permission for his name to be mentioned.

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #21 on: April 14, 2007, 01:33:01 PM
I don't recall that he even spoke - he was wearing a red shirt and, of course, dies within the first few minutes ;)

Quote from: jrderego
Actually, I understand that Doohan was not actually sick, but refused to participate
I couldn't find anything to back that up, but certainly the fact that they even had Bones in the show (though he didn't talk because DeForrest Kelley had passed away) adds weight to it.

RichGarner

• Palmer
  • Metalface Creator
    • Metalface RPG
Reply #22 on: April 14, 2007, 03:23:22 PM
I don't recall that he even spoke - he was wearing a red shirt and, of course, dies within the first few minutes ;)

Quote from: jrderego
Actually, I understand that Doohan was not actually sick, but refused to participate
I couldn't find anything to back that up, but certainly the fact that they even had Bones in the show (though he didn't talk because DeForrest Kelley had passed away) adds weight to it.

I think it was in the commentary for that show. I'll watch it again tonight.

Startrekwiki

Reply #23 on: April 14, 2007, 07:09:00 PM
Ok. Thanks. I can understand Doohan's decision, though.

RichGarner

• Palmer
  • Metalface Creator
    • Metalface RPG
Reply #24 on: April 17, 2007, 11:57:59 AM
I watched the episode commentary last night.

Matt Groening asked, "Why did Doohan not do it?"
David Cohen responds, "I believe the official comment we got back was, 'NO WAY!'"
Matt said, "You know, 'No' would have been sufficient."

Startrekwiki

Reply #25 on: April 17, 2007, 02:55:22 PM
I watched the episode commentary last night.

Matt Groening asked, "Why did Doohan not do it?"
David Cohen responds, "I believe the official comment we got back was, 'NO WAY!'"
Matt said, "You know, 'No' would have been sufficient."

I have heard that Doohan and Shatner were very hard to work with and could basically not work together.

RichGarner

• Palmer
  • Metalface Creator
    • Metalface RPG
Reply #26 on: April 17, 2007, 03:21:56 PM
I don't know much about the original Star Trek cast. I followed TNG religiously and I watch the movie documentaries a lot.

From what I've seen and heard, it seems to me that the TNG cast are more tight and friendly than the original cast. I love watching the bloopers from the TNG movies because the cast often breaks out in uncontrollable laughter and sometimes they lean on each other and hug one another. They seem like true friends.

I don't think I would consider myself a friend if my 'co-workers' all participated in a fun project and I said, "No way." I just can't see myself saying that.

2 cents contribution complete.

slic

• Hipparch
  • Stephen Lumini
Reply #27 on: April 22, 2007, 08:13:14 PM
There are all sorts of rumours about who was a jackass on the set and that everyone hated Shatner or everyone hated Nimoy or Takei hated Koenig or whatever.  In the case of Futurama though - they never would have had to be in the same room or even in the studio on the same day.
I'm sure it had more to do with illness and hassle.

Watch the Comedy Central roast of William Shatner for some of those rumours and also Galaxy Quest which is kind of spoof of ST:OS and ST:NG - super funny, great movie

clichekiller

• Palmer
Reply #28 on: April 24, 2007, 03:58:44 PM
Futurama is in my top five favorites, right up there with The Simpsons and FireFly.  I was really bummed when it was canceled and can't wait to see the new episodes.

RichGarner

• Palmer
  • Metalface Creator
    • Metalface RPG
Reply #29 on: April 25, 2007, 04:19:18 PM
Taken from an interview on RottenTomatoes:

"I was frustrated when it got cancelled, but Fox, 20th Television is the one who came back and said, 'Would you like to do a DVD movie?'" Groening recalled. We said, 'Let's do two' and they said, 'Well, why not three?' and we said, 'Well, why not four?' and they said, 'Okay, four' and then that's it."

After this, Comedy Central won a bid to air the films as new "Futurama" episodes. "We're writing them as movies and then we're going to chop them up, reconfigure them, write new material and try to make them work as separate episodes. Chopped up is an indelicate way of putting it but we are doing them as movies and then we are reconfiguring them and writing new material and narration and this that and the other so that they'll stand on their own as episodes."

Startrekwiki

Reply #30 on: April 28, 2007, 06:25:07 PM
Taken from an interview on RottenTomatoes:

"I was frustrated when it got cancelled, but Fox, 20th Television is the one who came back and said, 'Would you like to do a DVD movie?'" Groening recalled. We said, 'Let's do two' and they said, 'Well, why not three?' and we said, 'Well, why not four?' and they said, 'Okay, four' and then that's it."

After this, Comedy Central won a bid to air the films as new "Futurama" episodes. "We're writing them as movies and then we're going to chop them up, reconfigure them, write new material and try to make them work as separate episodes. Chopped up is an indelicate way of putting it but we are doing them as movies and then we are reconfiguring them and writing new material and narration and this that and the other so that they'll stand on their own as episodes."

Wow! That's great news! When was that interview taken?

RichGarner

• Palmer
  • Metalface Creator
    • Metalface RPG
Reply #31 on: April 30, 2007, 01:09:38 PM
Not sure. This was a post from a post from a post. I seem to remember reading this sometime in the winter season.

Startrekwiki

Reply #32 on: April 30, 2007, 05:24:43 PM
I wonder weather the movie's still in the works...

RichGarner

• Palmer
  • Metalface Creator
    • Metalface RPG
Reply #33 on: May 02, 2007, 04:22:59 PM

BrandtPileggi

• Matross
    • My website: awesomeology.org
Reply #34 on: May 06, 2007, 06:56:36 AM
Good 'ol Welchie, joining the great ranks of "new guys" that are part of the away team doomed to die. Way to take one for the team old friend.