Author Topic: Pseudopod 262: Black Hill  (Read 13852 times)

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Re: Pseudopod 262: Black Hill
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2012, 01:04:32 AM »
I'll put a link up on the story page!

The Far Stairs

• Peltast
    • A Thousand Lifetimes in an Hour
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2012, 02:26:44 AM »
Generally, when I'm writing stories, even Lovecraftian ones, I tend to try to avoid overt references. Throwing out names like Miskatonic or Cthulhu or whatever. But in this case, I was writing this story specifically for the Historical Lovecraft anthology, and I thought that the "that is not dead which can eternal lie" line was just so appropriate for the theme of the story that I couldn't resist using it.

Well, that answers that. Hard to write a story for a Lovecraft collection without some mention of Lovecraft. Great work!
Jesse Livingston
Head of Historical Archives
The Far Stairs
www.athousandlifetimes.com

orrin

• Palmer
    • Who Killed Orrin Grey?
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2016, 09:50:05 PM »
Just wanted to let everyone here know that Strix Publishing has just launched a Kickstarter to put out a brand new, hardcover deluxe edition of my debut collection Never Bet the Devil & Other Warnings, which includes this story among several others. The new edition will be cloth-bound and fully illustrated by M.S. Corley, and will include at least two new stories not featured in the previous printing, as well as a brand-new introduction by Nathan Ballingrud.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/aeeth/never-bet-the-devil-and-other-warnings
Orrin Grey
orringrey.com

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2016, 10:39:48 PM »
I've also been posting the Kickstarter links to the Facebook page!

Marlboro

• Palmer
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2019, 04:47:25 PM »
...I didn't understand why the chief oilman was still involved with the story. I feel that the story rested on the laurels of "typical" Cthulhu stories, where the protagonist or someone in his environment is driven to discover. This story assumed the drive, but never provided a reason, which Lovecraft's stories were always careful to provide. The man is already incredibly wealthy. His wife may be gone, but his daughter seems to be safe, despite his fears. There are a plethora of potential motivations for continuing to be involved with the occult - revenge? His daughter's safety? Sheer obsession - but none of them are detailed, giving the character a lazy, "just 'cause" feel.

This is my question too. I just don't understand the chief oilman's motivation.

Good episode despite that.