Author Topic: Best PodCastle of 2011 Nominations  (Read 13016 times)

Talia

• Muahahahaha
on: January 06, 2012, 01:29:19 AM
2011 brought many wonderful stories to PodCastle's shores, from authors familiar and new alike. But chances are you all have favorites - a few tales you particularly enjoyed or that just really stuck with you. We invite you to nominate your three favorite tales, and when results are tallied we'll put up a poll for your voting pleasure. Feel free to go into detail about why these episodes worked for you!

Note, this list does not include miniatures. I'll but a separate one up for those soon.

Please remember this is just for fun, and do keep in mind The Rules.

2011's PC episode list:

PodCastle 138: Balfour and Meriwether in the Adventure of the Emperor’s Vengeance, by Daniel Abraham
PodCastle 139: To Follow the Waves by Amal El-Mohtar
PodCastle 140: Terrible Ones by Tim Pratt
PodCastle 141: The Bear in the Cable-Knit Sweater by Robert T. Jeschonek
PodCastle 142: Abandonware by An Owomoyela
PodCastle 143: Hurt Me by M.L.N. Hanover
PodCastle 144: To Ride Beyond the Wide World's End by Caitlin Brennan
PodCastle 145: Hart and Boot by Tim Pratt
PodCastle 146, Giant Episode: The Surgeon's Tale by Cat Rambo and Jeff VanderMeer
PodCastle 147: Card Sharp by Rajan Khanna
PodCastle 148: State Change by Ken Liu
PodCastle 149: Honing Sebastian by Elizabeth Engstrom
PodCastle 150: Mister Hadj's Sunset Ride by Saladin Ahmed
PodCastle 151: Wizard's Apprentice by Delia Sherman
PodCastle 152: The Hortlak by Kelly Link
PodCastle 153: The Ghosts of New York by Jennifer Pelland
PodCastle 154: Sinners, Saints, Dragons, and Haints, in the City Under the Still Waters by N.K. Jemisin
PodCastle 155: Tending the Mori Birds by Caroline M. Yoachim
PodCastle 156: Household Spirits by C.S.E. Cooney
PodCastle 157: As Below, So Above by Ferret Steinmetz
PodCastle 158: Gone Daddy Gone by Josh Rountree
PodCastle 159: Judgment of Swords and Souls by Saladin Ahmed
PodCastle 160: After October by Ben Burgis
PodCastle 161: The Giant of Malheur Park by Maria Deira
PodCastle 162: Gods of the North by Robert E. Howard
PodCastle 163: The Landholders No Longer Carry Swords by Patricia Russo
PodCastle 164: A Hunter's Ode to His Bait by Carrie Vaughn
PodCastle 165: The Paper Menagerie by Ken Liu
PodCastle 166: Stereogram of the Gray Fort, in the Days of Her Glory by Paul M. Berger
PodCastle 167: Portage by An Owomoyela
PodCastle 168: Zauberschrift by David D. Levine
PodCastle 169: The Duke of Vertumn's Fingerling by Elizabeth Carroll
PodCastle 170: Five Ways Jane Austen Never Died by Samantha Henderson
PodCastle 171: The Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories by Gene Wolfe
PodCastle 172: Doors by Rajan Khanna
PodCastle 173: Who in Mortal Chains by Claire Humphrey
PodCastle 174: The Parable of the Shower by Leah Bobet
PodCastle 175, Giant Episode: El Regalo by Peter S. Beagle
PodCastle 176: Middle Aged Weirdo in a Cadillac by George R. Galuschak
PodCastle 177: The Fall of the House of Usher by Stephanie Meyer (just kidding)
PodCastle 178, Giant Episode: Braiding the Ghosts by C.S.E. Cooney
PodCastle 179: The Gateway of the Monster (Featuring Carnacki)  by William Hope Hodgson
PodCastle 180: We Were Wonder Scouts by Will Ludwigsen
PodCastle 181: Still Small Voice by Ben Burgis
PodCastle 182: 起狮,行礼 (Rising Lion — The Lion Bows) by Zen Cho
PodCastle 183: The God-Death of Halla by Tina Connolly
PodCastle 184: Black Swan, White Swan by Eugie Foster
PodCastle 185: This Strange Way of Dying by Silvia Moreno-Garcia
PodCastle 186, Giant Episode: Beyond the Sea Gate of the Scholar Pirates of Sarskoe by Garth Nix
PodCastle 187: Ties of Silver by James L. Sutter
PodCastle 188: The Ghost of Christmas Possible by Tim Pratt and Heather Shaw
PodCastle 189: Limits by Donna Glee Williams
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 10:53:01 PM by Talia »

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 01:40:30 AM
My nominations, if I go with stories that I've recommended to several others are, PodCastle 154: Sinners, Saints, Dragons, and Haints, in the City Under the Still Waters by N.K. Jemisin and PodCastle 165: The Paper Menagerie by Ken Liu.

My third goes to PodCastle 174: The Parable of the Shower by Leah Bobet because Laurice is such an awesome reader.

A honorable mention to the fourth place is PodCastle 140: Terrible Ones by Tim Pratt. It was a tough call between this one and PC174, but the reader made the decision.

Finally, PodCastle 143: Hurt Me by M.L.N. Hanover gets an honorable mention, although y'all totally stole this from PseudoPod.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 05:54:10 AM
And now, it's time for Nathan Talks Too Much!  [Applause]

First: PodCastle 174: The Parable of the Shower by Leah Bobet
Hilarious, with an awesome voice and a kick-ass reading.  The fact that its humor is cuttingly satirical as well doesn't hurt.  Definitely one of the strongest memories for me.

Second: PodCastle 148: State Change by Ken Liu
This is just such an awesome idea that it more than makes up for a relatively quiet presentation.  This story's almost reticent voice and structure kept it out of top place for me, but I loved the potential for imagery here.  It definitely explored the concept thoroughly without exhausting it, and I can only wish I'd thought of it first.

Third: PodCastle 152: The Hortlak by Kelly Link
Kelly Link is rad, and this is one of my favorite stories of hers.  Everything, no matter how mundane - especially the mundane, in fact - is infused with a sort of numinous depth.  Every time I read/hear this story, I can feel meanings and symbols churning violently just beneath the surface.  I enjoy that sensation, at least in limited doses.  I'm not sure what, exactly, that meaning is, but I love spotting the connections, feeling eternally on the cusp of some great revelation.

So Close: PodCastle 150: Mister Hadj's Sunset Ride by Saladin Ahmed
A strong voice (and excellent reading), but not quite as strong as "Parable of the Shower."  An awesome concept, but not quite as abstractly appealing as "State Change."  A rich thematic current that means more than it says, but not nearly as frenetically allegorical as "The Hortlak."  Overall, it's probably the most balanced of the stories that I liked this year, and it's definitely a favorite; it just had one story that was more in each of the categories of things I liked about it.  A solid, solid entry that I unhesitatingly recommend, possibly more so than any of the stories I actually picked (precisely because those stories tended to be extremes in one way or another.)

Honorable Mentions
Giant squid are fun, and that's really all there is to it.

PodCastle 158: Gone Daddy Gone by Josh Rountree
I like selkie/deer-woman/whatever stories, and the Beats have this odd, alien appeal for me.  (I was born in 1981, for reference.)

An enjoyable story that stuck in my mind mostly because it didn't do the so-common-it's-the-new-expected-cliché ending of "The hunter hunted."  This may have skewed my initial impressions, but I think it's a worthwhile tale regardless.

PodCastle 178, Giant Episode: Braiding the Ghosts by C.S.E. Cooney
Thick, dark, and richly woven.  It has some refrigerator logic that rather spoilt it for me, but at the time, I was very much engaged with it.

PodCastle 154: Sinners, Saints, Dragons, and Haints, in the City Under the Still Waters by N.K. Jemisin
The story, while good, wasn't quite there for me - I found the whole monsters-powered-by-hate schtick to be less than thrilling, and I'm rarely if ever a fan of using real history in fantasy stories - but the reading, my God, the reading was stellar.  Storm dragons are the new Regis St. George. 

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 10:04:50 AM
What a triumphant year for PodCastle!

Goddam. Gonna have to think about this.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 01:28:14 PM
Storm dragons are the new Regis St. George. 

Clearly, we need plush toys with voice boxes for both.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 03:13:43 PM
Top 3:

Honorable Mentions:

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 04:31:06 PM
Oh man, this is hard! It really has been a solid year for PodCastle :)

Okay, my three are

Honorable Mentions

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 10:53:03 PM
PodCastle 177: The Fall of the House of Usher by Stephanie Meyer (just kidding)

Talia, I think I love you.  :D

This topic needs serious and careful considerations.  I'll be back with my noms  ;D

Poppydragon

• Peltast
Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 11:10:11 PM
Best year yet for Podcastle but for me there's one standout amongst them

1st Ep 174 The Parable of the Shower - superb satire, laugh out loud funny and the best narration by far of the year

2nd Ep 154: Sinners, Saints, Dragons, and Haints, in the City Under the Still Waters - just wonderfully put together with another top notch narration

3rd EP 153: The Ghosts of New York - One of the most powerful pieces of writing I've heard in a while, a brave piece and perhaps an even braver decision to run it on Podcastle

Honourable mentions
179: The Gateway of the Monster (Featuring Carnacki)
150: Mister Hadj’s Sunset Ride
145: Hart and Boot

Man - despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many accomplishments - owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 11:48:42 PM
OK here's my top three but honestly, I could have gone with any of about 10 stories.

PodCastle 165: The Paper Menagerie by Ken Liu -- This was so sweet and true that it still makes me smile when I think of it. Beautifully done. I remember folks saying they were conscious of their emotions being manipulated; well yes, but I didn't mind at all. A lovely meditation on growing up and understanding your parents as people. And, love.

PodCastle 138: Balfour and Meriwether in the Adventure of the Emperor’s Vengeance, by Daniel Abraham -- A rollicking, Holmesian, Victorian, steam-punkian good time! I'm quite jaded with Victoriana steam-punk but as ever, when a good writer uses familiar elements to weave a great story, the trappings matter less than the adventure! Loved it. Would love to hear more!

PodCastle 189: Limits by Donna Glee Williams -- I thought hard about this one as there were so many others and I doubt this will be in many poeople's list. But, I really enjoyed it. I think for me it's a little (only a little!!) similar to The Paper Menagerie in that it brought out a particular aspect of what it is to be human and showcased it beautifully, like a polished diamond in an impeccable setting. I loved the themes it explored and the way it did so.

Some of the others:

PodCastle 147: Card Sharp by Rajan Khanna -- very clever with the cards. Great narration by Mr Fowlie.
PodCastle 150: Mister Hadj's Sunset Ride by Saladin Ahmed -- Fabulous story and another great narration.
PodCastle 166: Stereogram of the Gray Fort, in the Days of Her Glory by Paul M. Berger -- I enjoyed this story as much as I enjoyed narrating it, which was quite a lot!
PodCastle 174: The Parable of the Shower by Leah Bobet -- A clever story, funny and again, an outstanding narration.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 12:01:37 AM
OK here's my top three but honestly, I could have gone with any of about 10 stories.

PodCastle 138: Balfour and Meriwether in the Adventure of the Emperor’s Vengeance, by Daniel Abraham -- A rollicking, Holmesian, Victorian, steam-punkian good time! I'm quite jaded with Victoriana steam-punk but as ever, when a good writer uses familiar elements to weave a great story, the trappings matter less than the adventure! Loved it. Would love to hear more!

See you on Tuesday!!!  ;D

Gamercow

• Hipparch
Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 02:34:53 AM
I go through the list, again and again, and every time through, it's a different three.  But, I think I've narrowed it down:

1. PodCastle 152: The Hortlak by Kelly Link
2. PodCastle 138: Balfour and Meriwether in the Adventure of the Emperor’s Vengeance, by Daniel Abraham
3. PodCastle 165: The Paper Menagerie by Ken Liu

Honorable mentions:
PodCastle 168: Zauberschrift by David D. Levine
PodCastle 179: The Gateway of the Monster (Featuring Carnacki)  by William Hope Hodgson

The cow says "Mooooooooo"

Umbrageofsnow

• Hipparch
  • Commenting by the seat of my pants.
Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 04:22:11 PM
Not as strong a year as last year, in my opinion.  Not to say that there weren't good stories, but while last year there were a lot that I loved, this year, it seems like most I just enjoyed and would recommend, but had a lot less love to go around.  Not a bad year, but less amazing stories, more good stories, and even more "meh" stories than last year.  I still enjoyed Podcastle very much.  Keep up the Classic reprints please!

My #1 is far and away my favorite story this year, the one story I'd give the big A+.  I thought about these nominations for far too long, and wasn't thinking this at the time, but I see a lot of thematic similarity in my picks, particularly regarding stories about how stories are told, and the free will of the characters.

Nominations:
1. PodCastle 171: The Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories by Gene Wolfe
WHY IS THIS NOT GETTING MORE LOVE?
2. PodCastle 140: Terrible Ones by Tim Pratt
I keep telling myself I'm done voting for Tim Pratt (Pratt fatigue), but I can't help myself.
3. PodCastle 142: Abandonware by An Owomoyela
Special Award for the courage to not follow the predestined end to stories about prophetic warnings.

Honorable Mentions (Rising above my general discontent but failing to engender tangy nomination-love):

4.PodCastle 165: The Paper Menagerie by Ken Liu
4.PodCastle 179: The Gateway of the Monster (Featuring Carnacki)  by William Hope Hodgson
4.PodCastle 160: After October by Ben Burgis
4.PodCastle 180: We Were Wonder Scouts by Will Ludwigsen
4.PodCastle 177: The Fall of the House of Usher by Stephanie Meyer (I'm glad to see her branching out!)
4.PodCastle 183: The God-Death of Halla by Tina Connolly
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 04:42:38 PM by Umbrageofsnow »

Wilson Fowlie

• Hipparch
    • The Maple Leaf Singers
Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 12:43:15 AM
My top 3, favourite (by far!) first:

Close contenders (in various ways, for various reasons, in episode order):

PodCastle 144: To Ride Beyond the Wide World's End by Caitlin Brennan
  PodCastle 145: Hart and Boot by Tim Pratt
  PodCastle 160: After October by Ben Burgis
  PodCastle 173: Who in Mortal Chains by Claire Humphrey
  PodCastle 178: Giant Episode: Braiding the Ghosts by C.S.E. Cooney
  PodCastle 182: 起狮,行礼 (Rising Lion — The Lion Bows) by Zen Cho
  PodCastle 186: Giant Episode: Beyond the Sea Gate of the Scholar Pirates of Sarskoe by Garth Nix

I wish I had time to comment on at least my top choices, but I don't, other than to say that I'm fairly astonished that two of mine match two of Scattercat's - one match wouldn't have surprised me, or at least not much, but two leaves me near speechless.

"People commonly use the word 'procrastination' to describe what they do on the Internet. It seems to me too mild to describe what's happening as merely not-doing-work. We don't call it procrastination when someone gets drunk instead of working." - Paul Graham

indiecowgirl

• Palmer
Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 02:58:03 AM
My top 3
1: PodCastle 151: Wizard's Apprentice by Delia Sherman - Magic and Cunning
2: PodCastle 138: Balfour and Meriwether in the Adventure of the Emperor’s Vengeance, by Daniel Abraham - A Great detective adventure
3: PodCastle 159: Judgment of Swords and Souls by Saladin Ahmed - Interesting main character in a world I would like to see more of

Honorable Mentions:

PodCastle 150: Mister Hadj's Sunset Ride by Saladin Ahmed

danooli

Reply #15 on: January 15, 2012, 09:45:47 PM
OK...my 3 nominations, in no particular order...

PodCastle 172: Doors by Rajan Khanna

honorable mentions:
PodCastle 138: Balfour and Meriwether in the Adventure of the Emperor’s Vengeance, by Daniel Abraham
PodCastle 147: Card Sharp by Rajan Khanna

and...I have to say, there is one that stands out for the discussion it lead to...

thanks for an AWESOME year, PodCastle!!!

justenjoying

• Peltast
Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 07:49:23 PM
Well here goes nothing, my first nominations, here's a strategic move to get my favorites into the running. While my all time favorites of this year are already in the running.  :P

Nominations:
1.PodCastle 142: Abandonware by An Owomoyela
2. PodCastle 140: Terrible Ones by Tim Pratt
3. PodCastle 171: The Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories by Gene Wolfe

Honorable Mentions:

4.PodCastle 165: The Paper Menagerie by Ken Liu
4.PodCastle 184: Black Swan, White Swan by Eugie Foster
4.PodCastle 159: Judgment of Swords and Souls by Saladin Ahmed
4.PodCastle 157: As Below, So Above by Ferret Steinmetz
4.PodCastle 143: Hurt Me by M.L.N. Hanover

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 11:13:20 PM
Top 3:

Honorable Mentions:
PodCastle 179: The Gateway of the Monster (Featuring Carnacki)  by William Hope Hodgson
PodCastle 139: To Follow the Waves by Amal El-Mohtar

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 02:28:42 AM
Nominations are slowing down - we'll give it until the end of the week, then put up polls!

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #19 on: February 03, 2012, 07:49:23 PM
This is always such a fascinating thread for Anna and I to look at. I suspected some stories would be here, was surprised to see a couple I thought people didn't love as much as we did (Hortlak), and then surprised nobody nominated a few (I thought for sure Scholar Pirates would be right up there with Paper Menagerie, Parable of the Shower, and a few others).

Anywho, thanks for all the feedback, everyone :)

eytanz

Reply #20 on: February 05, 2012, 06:40:00 PM
So, I've been thinking of this one for a while, and it's a tough task - Podcastle's output was more or less consistently great last year, and finding three specific stories to nominate did not come easy. I'm not going to do honourable mentions because that would be about half the episode list. But here are the three that I think edged out ahead:

PodCastle 152: The Hortlak by Kelly Link

BlueLu

• Palmer
    • www.lenacoakley.com
Reply #21 on: February 18, 2012, 11:33:18 PM
Did I miss the poll??? Maybe I'm just being completely daft, but I can't see it.  I think it's probably too late but, what the heck, here are my nominations:

The Parable of the Shower
Balfour & Meriweather
A Hunter's Ode to His Bait

Mentions:

Scholar Pirates
Doors
The Ghost of Xmas Possible
The Duke of Vertum's Fingerling

Haven't dropped by in a while but what a great year 2011 was!

Lena

Longshoreman

• Extern
Reply #22 on: February 22, 2012, 10:16:07 PM
138 Balfour and Meriwether in the adventure of the Emperors Vengeance

Going to London often I can see where the inspiration of this story came from. When I come home from a gig on the tube and look out the window I wonder what's out in the darkness. I truly loved this story, every moment of it.

danooli

Reply #23 on: April 07, 2012, 12:49:24 PM
has there been a poll??

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #24 on: April 07, 2012, 11:16:36 PM
has there been a poll??

I was getting around to it!

*looks defensive* :p