Author Topic: Best of Pseudopod 2011 Nominations!  (Read 9418 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: January 09, 2012, 04:29:41 AM
It's that time of year again, folks.  Time to take a look back at this past year's wonderful selection of stories and nominate those you feel are worthy of higher accolades!

For your convenience, here is a list of 2011's stories, put together by the fantastic Fenrix.  Click on the episode numbers for links to their various forum threads to look back at some discussions surrounding them, refresh your memory, etc.

So post your top three nominations, as well as honorable mentions, and be sure to Have fun!

220: Flash on the Borderlands VI: Escape by M.E. Smith
220: Flash on the Borderlands VI: Mother's Milk by Strahinja Acimovic
220: Flash on the Borderlands VI: Little Monster by LynnCee Faulk
221: Lives by John Grant
222: Terrible Lizard King by Nathaniel Lee
223: Murdock The Nobody by Kate Jonez
224: The Horror Of Their Deeds To View by Lizanne Herd
225: Top Of The Heap by Nathan Robinson
226: The Sound Of Gears by Ferrett Steinmetz
227: Man Eat Man by Mike Irwin
228: Flash On The Borderlands VII - Tableaux & Displays: Hunting by Kirsty Logan
228: Flash On The Borderlands VII - Tableaux & Displays: What Makes You Tick by David Steffen
228: Flash On The Borderlands VII - Tableaux & Displays: Pageant Girls by Caroline Yoachim
229: On Being Mandy by Sandra M. Odell
230: Girls Gone Insane by John Jasper Owens
231: Tippler's Bane by Evelyn Wang
232: The Song Of Prague by Shane Jiraiya Cummings
233: Association by Eddie Borey
234: I.C.U. by Tim Burke
235: Flash On The Borderlands VIII - Warped Love: In Memoriam by Matthew Chrulew
235: Flash On The Borderlands VIII - Warped Love: Pieces by M.C. Funk
235: Flash On The Borderlands VIII - Warped Love: Home Is Where The Heart Is by Bint Arab
236: Dearest Daughter by Kate Marshall
237: Lights by J. Westlake
238: The Talisman by Heather McDougal
239: The Line by Grady J. Gratt
240: Songs for Dead Hearts by Mandana Faridani
241: In Bloom by Caspian Gray
242: The 7 Garages of Kevin Simpson by Alan Baxter
243: Corps Cadavres by Neil John Buchanan
244: Bruise For Bruise by Robert Davies
245: Blue Eyes by Jay Caselberg
246: The Eater by Michael J. DeLuca
247: Looker by David Nickle
248: Killing Merwin Remis by Jason Helmandollar
249: Kavar The Rat by Thomas Owen
250: The Voice in the Night by William Hope Hodgson
251: Yardwork by Bruce Blake
252: The Cord by Chris Lewis Carter
253: Trying To Stay Dead by Richard S. Crawford.
254: The Blood Garden by Jesse Livingston.
255: Flash on The Borderlands IX - It’s War!: King by C. Deskin Rink
255: Flash on The Borderlands IX - It’s War!: Number 21 Rue le Sueur by Edward McDermott
255: Flash on The Borderlands IX - It’s War!: War by Aaron Ashley Garrison
256: Repler by Jonathan Lowe.
257: In “The Poor Girl Taken By Surprise” by Gemma Files.
258: The Stink of Animosity by Rob E. Boley.
259: To My Wondering Eyes Did Appear by Larry C. Kay.
260: Saint Nicholas’ Helper by D.K. Thompson.
261: Widdershins by Robert Mammone.
bonus Christmas flash - Coming Home by Maria Alexander
262: Black Hill by Orrin Grey.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 05:50:06 AM by Bdoomed »

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 04:42:28 AM
I am King Under the Mountain. Hear me roar!

Ok, I have it narrowed down to thirteen. Getting it to three will be difficult. I'm not even to the point where I can pick one or two for sure and debate internally about the remainder. I may just watch the Slaughterhouse for a week and pick three of those thirteen stories that will need the most support.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

justenjoying

• Peltast
Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 05:32:56 AM
You should vote asap, so I can see what is most popular and make sure I get the other things I loved in to the poll.
Your messing with my strategy!
It was an exceptional year though with so many storys any other year being a shoe in for my top 3, but this year maybe coming in 6th or so.

Fenrix

• Editor
Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 05:52:58 AM
You should vote asap, so I can see what is most popular and make sure I get the other things I loved in to the poll.
Your messing with my strategy!
It was an exceptional year though with so many storys any other year being a shoe in for my top 3, but this year maybe coming in 6th or so.

From the past month, you haven't commented on either Saint Nicholas's Helper or Black Hill. I recommend moving those up in your queue.

Your fresh commentary in some of the threads is influencing my thoughts on Slaughterhouse moves. We've got a few stories that have similar themes, and after a year I can look back and see them better. I like my points moving to and from to have a certain logical connection. Doesn't mean they always do, but I like it that way better.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 05:59:14 AM by Fenrix »

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 02:51:07 PM
Top 3:

220: Flash on the Borderlands VI: Escape by M.E. Smith
239: The Line by Grady J. Gratt

Honorable Mentions:

255: Flash on The Borderlands IX - It’s War!: Number 21 Rue le Sueur by Edward McDermott

I think I like horror flash more than fantasy or sci-fi because it's easy to be scared in small chunks.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

indiecowgirl

• Palmer
Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 04:15:54 AM
My top 3 are

Pseudopod 237: Lights by J. Westlake, Read by Barry J. Northern
Pseudopod 250: The Voice in the Night by William Hope Hodgson, Read by Wilson Fowlie
Pseudopod 241: In Bloom by Caspian Gray, Read by Julie Hoverson

Honorable Mentions

Pseudopod 262: Black Hill by Orrin Grey, Read by Rich Girardi
Pseudopod 253: Trying To Stay Dead by Richard S. Crawford, Read by Steve Anderson
Pseudopod 240: Songs for Dead Hearts by Mandana Faridani, Read by Rajan Khanna

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 06:07:57 AM
First: 222: Terrible Lizard King by Nathaniel Lee
Just kidding.  But pretend that I'm an opinion leader, 'k?  :-P

Actual First: 257: In “The Poor Girl Taken By Surprise” by Gemma Files.
I'm not the hugest fan of werewolves, but I DO love mythology, and this story had a great voice and a wonderfully piecemeal gathering of myth tidbits.  I appreciated how the ending was visible from a long way off, but I could just enjoy watching it grow ever larger and more menacing as it crept over the horizon.

Second: 226: The Sound Of Gears by Ferrett Steinmetz
This hit a lot of my favorite themes, and it did it with subtlety and panache. 

Third: 235: Flash On The Borderlands VIII - Warped Love: Pieces by M.C. Funk
I wish I had written this.  That is all.

Honorable Mentions
246: The Eater by Michael J. DeLuca - This one almost made it into the actual nominations.  In fact, if I can, I'd like to conditionally nominate it in the event someone else suggests "Pieces," because this story was awesome and troubling.  I'm a sucker for anyone who can turn linguistic theory into a horror story, though.

262: Black Hill by Orrin Grey - Awesome imagery with a decent-but-not-thrilling conclusion to the plot, plus a random connection to The Mythos that irked me with its lack of necessity, as if the monster wouldn't be horrific if we didn't know what it was.

228: Flash On The Borderlands VII - Tableaux & Displays: What Makes You Tick by David Steffen - I like the story pretty well, but the reading on this one gave it a whole new level for me.  It really brings home what the audio presentation can accomplish when you encounter them separately.

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 03:50:47 PM
As before - bit awkward for me to say anything except - I love them all....

But all of us have particular tastes, so:

228: Flash On The Borderlands VII - Tableaux & Displays: Pageant Girls by Caroline Yoachim
Just amazing - wish I'd thought of it.

Horror that manages to be horrifying, human and profoundly sad will usually get me.

261: Widdershins by Robert Mammone
Loved the classic antiquarian structure to this, coupled with the "pagan times never went away" current and the surreal, apocalyptic ending.

HONORABLE MENTION

221: Lives by John Grant
Again, profoundly human, profoundly sad.

I was proud to be able to publish an old style "survival" tale, told in an interesting voice.

Probably one of the most interesting variations of the zombie apocalypse I've read - in living death, mankind finally gets what it wants - companionship and unity

234: I.C.U. by Tim Burke
see above re: humanity, sadness

253: Trying To Stay Dead by Richard S. Crawford
A gamble, in that - would a story built around a grammatical trick work in audio?  I still think the conceit at the heart of this story is brilliant.

Wonderful, surreal dive into the basement of history's less noble (more honest) tendencies.

256: Repler by Jonathan Lowe
The setting of this, the smallness of human scale, the blasted atmosphere that resonates with our Depression-era times all worked.

257: In “The Poor Girl Taken By Surprise” by Gemma Files.
A fablesque mashup of European fantastique and mythology, combined with the Bloody Benders.  Read it in THE MAMMOTH BOOK OF MONSTERS, had to buy it.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 02:43:03 AM by Sgarre1 »

Fenrix

• Editor
Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 04:57:44 AM
Honorable Mentions
246: The Eater by Michael J. DeLuca - This one almost made it into the actual nominations.  In fact, if I can, I'd like to conditionally nominate it in the event someone else suggests "Pieces," because this story was awesome and troubling.  I'm a sucker for anyone who can turn linguistic theory into a horror story, though.

262: Black Hill by Orrin Grey - Awesome imagery with a decent-but-not-thrilling conclusion to the plot, plus a random connection to The Mythos that irked me with its lack of necessity, as if the monster wouldn't be horrific if we didn't know what it was.

Just for you, Scattercat, I'll make two of these my nominations. All of your honorable mentions were some of my favorites from the year. Unblinking, I loved "What Makes You Tick?" but I think the reading really elevates it, so I'm sticking with the nomination of that story over in the reader list.

So my first two will be:
262: Black Hill by Orrin Grey

To add a third, of ones that have yet to be nominated, I think I'll go with 249: Kavar The Rat by Thomas Owen. This classic weird tale deserves to go toe to toe with The Voice in the Night.

Not eligible for nomination, but must be mentioned:
Trio of Terror: “The Yellow Curse” by Grady Hendrix, read by Alasdair Stewart

Honorable Mentions:
PseudoPod 2011. This was a good year for stories. Also, mad props to forum regulars Nathaniel Lee, C. Deskin Rink, David Steffen, and D. K. Thompson for having good stories published this year. Also, not going to spoil my "strategies" for the slaughterhouse by gushing too much here about specific stories.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 07:03:02 AM
My top 3:

240: Songs for Dead Hearts by Mandana Faridani -- Loved loved loved this one, it's fable-like quality, the central character, the resolution. I had a bit of an advantage I guess; I'd seen this in slush elsewhere so I already knew it when it aired on Pseudopod. I shall forever kick myself for not picking it up first :)

225: Top Of The Heap by Nathan Robinson -- An outstanding story of real-world horror. Intensely personal, fully believable; the horror of what greed and betrayal has people do.

244: Bruise For Bruise by Robert Davies -- Incredibly rich imagery. A truly strange pleasure.

and I also enjoyed these immensely:

260: Saint Nicholas’ Helper by D.K. Thompson. -- A truly terrific Krampus tale. Expertly done.

230: Girls Gone Insane by John Jasper Owens -- I'm really not sure why this one had such a big impact on me, but it did. Again, real-world horror and the terrible consequences of a silly decision, exacerbated by ostracisation.

257: In “The Poor Girl Taken By Surprise” by Gemma Files. -- An almost gentle telling of a truly terrible tale.

228: Flash On The Borderlands VII - Tableaux & Displays: What Makes You Tick by David Steffen -- A really great twist on the captured alien trope enhanced by an outstanding reading.

252: The Cord by Chris Lewis Carter -- Didn't see the end coming with this; it made perfect sense when it did, though. Obvious? Maybe it was to you, not to me.

220: Flash on the Borderlands VI: Escape by M.E. Smith -- THE squirmiest story I've heard on Pseudopod.

Swamp

• Hipparch
    • Journey Into... podcast
Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 11:24:47 PM
Top 3:
259: To My Wondering Eyes Did Appear by Larry C. Kay

Honorable Mentions:
260: Saint Nicholas’ Helper by D.K. Thompson (so close)
262: Black Hill by Orrin Grey.

Facehuggers don't have heads!

Come with me and Journey Into... another fun podcast

Umbrageofsnow

• Hipparch
  • Commenting by the seat of my pants.
Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 01:30:55 AM
Bit of an abused women theme to my favorite stories this year, adding to the abused children theme of my Escape Pod nominations, I'm just a human-nature-optimist all around this year.
My Nominees:
1: 236: Dearest Daughter by Kate Marshall
Unreliable narrator or Most reliable narrator?  This is really like two brilliant horror stories in one.
2: 228: Flash On The Borderlands VII - Tableaux & Displays: Pageant Girls by Caroline Yoachim
My favorite narration of any flash piece this year, and a creepy look into just how far parents will push their kids to win meaningless contests.  The central idea was cute, but the revelation about Scarlet pushes this story above all the other Flash this year, with the possible exception of...
3: 235: Flash On The Borderlands VIII - Warped Love: Pieces by M.C. Funk
The other best flash story.  As I said in the Slaughterhouse, this has a lot of the same body horror going for it that Escape had, but it come across much more horrifying because the protagonist isn't gaining control of her surroundings, she is surrendering that control for misplaced love.  A great allegory for abusive relationships, Pieces captures the narrator's self-inflicted powerlessness and inability to escape the one who hurts her.  Creepy and meaningful!

Honorable Mentions:
4: 250: The Voice in the Night by William Hope Hodgson
I can never get enough Hodgson (can we call him 'The Hodge'?), and this is one of the classics.
4: 257: In “The Poor Girl Taken By Surprise” by Gemma Files.
Surprisingly well-named taverns for the win.
4: 222: Terrible Lizard King by Nathaniel Lee
I've been worrying about Toilet Octopi for months now.  Thanks Scattercat.
4: 260: Saint Nicholas’ Helper by D.K. Thompson.
The best part of Dave's story was that the girls weren't even really naughty.  Just trying to protect their poor kitty.  I've decided that if I ever have kids, Krampus will have to be part of the Santa Mythos.
4: 226: The Sound Of Gears by Ferrett Steinmetz
Special award for coolest desk ever.  I, for one, welcome our new automotive overlords.
4: 252: The Cord by Chris Lewis Carter
I have a strange urge to get this story higher on my list.  Yes, up higher...

EDIT: Also, props to Horror of Their Deeds to View and Association.  I'm sick of writing this post though, so no more explaining my painful decisions.  I love you Psuedopod 2011!  I'll cut off my arm to prove it!  (Or maybe I should just donate cash instead of limbs?)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 01:36:10 AM by Umbrageofsnow »

justenjoying

• Peltast
Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 02:24:18 AM
I love you Pseudopod. You are my favorite and I savor every last auible drop everyweek. This was rediculously hard and I have way too many honorable mentions, but I enjoyed almost everystory and loved more than half. And I promice you thats true.

My Nominees:
1.254: The Blood Garden by Jesse Livingston.
Once agian I want to put this on my wall so I may look into this story forever.
2.239: The Line by Grady J. Gratt
Best early childhood development horror story ever!
3.236: Dearest Daughter by Kate Marshall
"My handwriting has always looked like yours, mother."

Honorable Mentions:
We create our own g-ds. It's the way they stay in exsistance, that gets scary.
A new preschool favorite story.
243: Corps Cadavres by Neil John Buchanan
Some of the most amazing and metaphoric imagry ever.
And yet she choses to perpetuate the horror from beyond the grave.
This needs no other comment.
She kills herself for them and they kill her for themselfs.
You can't stop it, you can't stop yourself. What would you do?
A story about the inadequecy of words.
A love story appologie from the back of another womens head.
*Read Umbrageofsnow's comment*
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 02:31:07 AM by justenjoying »

Marguerite

• Editor
    • Cast of Wonders
Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 04:00:56 AM
What a YEAR, Pseudopod! And the competition is fierce this time, unlike 2010 when "Is This A Horror Story?" chilled so thoroughly and so deep it was impossible to pick anything else.  But *rolls up sleeves* let's give this a shot.

Top Three:

232: The Song Of Prague by Shane Jiraiya Cummings

Everyone can be a hero, when the chance calls. Everyone can hold the fate of the world in their hands.

Brutal, bare survival ... and its cost.

The fact that this was real, that this situation has doubtless been repeated time and time again. It's horrific and so very, very sad.

Many, Many, MANY Honorable Mentions:

231: Tippler's Bane by Evelyn Wang
238: The Talisman by Heather McDougal
241: In Bloom by Caspian Gray
262: Black Hill by Orrin Grey

And finally, special mention for a pair of stories that... had personal resonance last year:

Alea Iacta Est!

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 01:06:00 AM
Ah this is great! Such variety in the choices! Yes, a few keep cropping up but there's by no means clear favourites. Awesome variety Pseudopod!

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #15 on: February 05, 2012, 07:56:25 AM
Poll will be going up either Thursday or Friday! :)

eytanz

Reply #16 on: February 05, 2012, 06:40:36 PM
Does that mean that nominations are closed?

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 09:00:06 PM
That means that they are closing on Friday.  They've been open for a month.  Unless there's some kind of desire for a longer nominations period...

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #18 on: February 12, 2012, 06:45:28 PM
As I am insanely busy this weekend (tests, papers, etc, coming up) the poll will not close until next weekend when I should have much more time to put all of this together :)

Thank you for your patience.

kibitzer

• Hipparch
Reply #19 on: February 13, 2012, 01:33:42 AM
As I am insanely busy this weekend (tests, papers, etc, coming up) the poll will not close until next weekend when I should have much more time to put all of this together :)

Thank you for your patience.

No worries. Need help?

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #20 on: February 22, 2012, 04:16:12 AM
Hey thanks to those who mentioned "What Makes You Tick".  (Just wandering over here now, I usually stick to the story threads).  :)