Escape Artists
November 23, 2017, 09:03:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FINAL ROUND of the PseudoPod Flash Fiction Contest has begun!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Which of these movies did you like best?  Pick up to two.  (Voting closed: January 18, 2012, 11:41:05 PM)
Transformers: Dark of the Moon - 0 (0%)
Super 8 - 6 (27.3%)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 - 9 (40.9%)
Sucker Punch - 1 (4.5%)
In Time - 2 (9.1%)
X-Men: First Class - 4 (18.2%)
Total Voters: 13

Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Best SF/Fantasy film of 2011 - group A  (Read 7593 times)
Fenrix
Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
Editor

Have you found the Yellow Sign?

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2012, 02:20:41 PM »

I am slightly reassured by the lack of votes for Transformers.  At least people here aren't completely insane.

I completely agree with you there. It still boggles my mind how well those movies do. The tragedy is that certainly means Bey will get to make more abominations. Tongue

Let's keep him with robots and away from history.

I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Hipparch

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2012, 03:21:53 PM »

"Prisoner of Azkaban" and "Order of the Phoenix" are my two favorites, with "Prisoner" having the lead.  I mostly like "Phoenix" because A) Sh!t blows up good and B) Harry is not only wrong, but gets PROVED wrong, AND has serious consequences for his self-absorption.  That doesn't happen a lot in the series overall.

Phoenix (the book) is a very close second for me. Aside from everything you said (which I agree with) there's an incredible sense of doom and dread building throughout that whole book that really hit for me.

My favorite of the books is Phoenix; my least-favorite is Prince, which is also my least-favorite of the films.

Halfblood Prince is my least favorite of the books as well, though I enjoyed the movie. I think the film series really matured into a different weight class with Yates behind the camera.

My least favorite is probably the first one. My wife and I tried to watch it a few months ago, and it's a really poorly directed film - not only in performances, but in shots. Everything is so boring (and Cuaron and Yates really upped the game directing-wise). I'll give Columbus credit for some excellent casting, though.

Scattercat
Caution:
Hipparch

Amateur wordsmith

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2012, 04:05:11 PM »

I couldn't completely hate Half-Blood Prince because Snape is awesome, and therefore anything Snape-themed acquires some awesome by osmosis.

My least favorite is probably Goblet of Fire, just because it was egregiously long, and the bad guys' plot went over the line from convoluted to a Gambit Roulette, and the movie was the crappiest of the movies because the director just took every third scene from the book, removed the narration from around the dialogue, and expected it to somehow remain coherent.

Now guys, I know Super 8 was a little schmaltzy, but c'mon.  X-Men: First Class?  The movie that thinks one use of the word "groovy" is sufficient localization for the time-period of the Sixties in the US?  The movie that has a fledgling Magneto able to simultaneously stop hundreds of bullets and missiles in midair and think it is a good idea to turn them all (including the tiny mass of each bullet) laboriously around and accelerate them back to deadly speed instead of simply cracking open the METAL hulls of the warships facing them?  The movie that features Kevin Bacon looking at a fully-exposed set of fuel rods and demanding his minion "turn the reactor to maximum" in order for him to absorb MORE energy?

---
Mirrorshards: Very Short Stories
100 Words.  No more.  No fewer.  Every day.
Splinters of Silver and Glass - The Mirrorshards Book
DKT
Friendly Neighborhood
Hipparch

PodCastle is my Co-Pilot

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2012, 04:16:31 PM »

I voted for Super 8 and Potter.

I really liked Super 8. Actually, I'd be happy to see it again, and my movie watching time is incredibly limited as is. But it was a movie that had heart, and heart is important to me.

Still need to see First Class and In Time one of these days...

kibitzer
Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
Hipparch

Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2012, 08:38:37 PM »

My least favorite is probably the first one. My wife and I tried to watch it a few months ago, and it's a really poorly directed film - not only in performances, but in shots. Everything is so boring (and Cuaron and Yates really upped the game directing-wise). I'll give Columbus credit for some excellent casting, though.

It's very anodyne isn't it? Calculated to be family friendly. Still, I guess the intended audience was 12yr-olds -- sorta -- and if nothing else if brought Hogwarts and Quidditch to life. Was pretty impressive on the big screen.

Fenrix
Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
Editor

Have you found the Yellow Sign?

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2012, 10:24:55 PM »

It's very anodyne isn't it? Calculated to be family friendly. Still, I guess the intended audience was 12yr-olds -- sorta -- and if nothing else if brought Hogwarts and Quidditch to life. Was pretty impressive on the big screen.

My recollection is that not much got cut from the film that was in the book. I found the first to be more about establishment of a world than of a strong narrative.

I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: