Author Topic: EP328: Surviving the eBookalypse  (Read 12649 times)

lisavilisa

• Peltast
Reply #25 on: June 19, 2012, 01:44:51 AM
It happened!

The Expresso Book Machine
"The patented Espresso Book Machine® (EBM) makes a paperback book in minutes, at point of need. Through its EspressNet® digital catalog of content, books can be ordered online or onsite at bookstores, libraries, and non-bookstore retailers. Over seven million in-copyright and public-domain titles are available on the network. The technology is also ideal for self and custom publishing."

http://ondemandbooks.com/ebm_overview.php

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #26 on: September 26, 2012, 02:40:20 AM
Not a writer and I enjoyed the story. I've been reading enough Stephen King recently so I have plenty of fresh examples of bad masturbatory writer stories about writers. I found this one different, as it wasn't just a thinly veiled version of the author, but a significant exploration of a dystopian (for writers at least) future of publishing.

I fully admit the whole economic model of it is a bit shaky (I mean, who really believes that public arts funding for writers would EVER get past the GOP?)

The same way they do now. Expand arts funding and hide it behind Sesame Street. Then accuse folks who want to cut funds of punching Big Bird in the face. Sadly, for every Sesame Street there's a dozen of these that provide funding to something of questionable public value.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”