Escape Artists
August 20, 2014, 11:20:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: EP328: Surviving the eBookalypse  (Read 4032 times)
SF.Fangirl
Peltast

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2012, 01:08:03 PM »

What I had to say about this one was remarkably similar to what SF.Fangirl posted about it.
I disliked it, then somehow grew to like it by the end.
Aww. She said it a lot better. Go read her post again. Smiley

Thanks, Gary.  It's always nice to feel like others get you and your opinion.
Scatcatpdx
Palmer

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2012, 01:24:03 AM »

Even if it is satire, good satire contains an element of truth. This story did not disappoint. I been think along the same line that the good news  is electronic publishing will lower barriers for writers, the bad news is electronic publishing will lower the barriers for writers. Will the future of literature be like You Tube where I have to slosh though piles of narcissistic crap to fine one diamond in the rough?
eytanz

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2012, 05:42:49 AM »

I don't have that much to say about the story itself; I share the sentiment of several others who said it was a bit hard to get interested in but improved in the second half.

But what is interesting to me is the attitude of the protagonist towards his writing - he was all set against writing commercial stuff and devoted to his principles, even if it meant disaster - until it stopped being about himself and became about getting revenge on his adversaries. I think that shows something important about human nature - we're all a lot more eager to give up on our principles once it becomes not just a matter of success, but a matter of beating someone.
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2012, 12:24:44 PM »

I'd suggest that while authors love this story, regular folks might find it... indifferent.

Well of course they MIGHT. People might be indifferent to ANY story. Cheesy I disagree that this one is more likely to leave people indifferent, though. I'm no author and I loved it. The world building was fascinating, especially with the parallels to the way the current publishing world is already going (yes, machines exist where you can print books on demand...). A playfully imaginative exploration of a possible future for the publishing industry.

Great reading too.

And to add another datapoint to that analysis, I'm an author and I didn't like the story.  Which just goes to show, generalizations are always flawed.  Always.  Although I suppose one could debate about whether I deserve the title of "author", since I have yet to gain anything resembling widespread acclaim in the community or out.  Tongue

I held on until about halfway through it, but all it seemed like was an author's blog post responding to a rant he'd heard from someone else.  So I wasn't terribly surprised to hear:
I wrote this story during Clarion West, partly as a response to a doom and gloom speech I heard on the future of the publishing industry.

Like a typical blog post, it felt like a narcissistic complaining rant that you would hear from someone over a couple beers.  Like a typical blog post, the arguments made are so incredibly exaggerated.  Like a typical blog post, it's so easily dated that in a few years it won't mean much of anything (which I'd guessed from the "eBookalypse" in the title).   Can you tell that I don't (generally) like blogs?

It didn't help that I found all of the dialog and some of the wording choices awkward.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 12:26:57 PM by Unblinking » Logged

--David Steffen
The Submissions Grinder:  Fiction market listings, submissions tracker, always free, poetry and nonfiction markets coming soon!
LaShawn
Editor

Writer Mommies Rule!

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2012, 11:52:35 AM »

This was cute. Took me a while to warm up to the narration, but when I did, it worked well. It reminded me of "The Office" for authors. Poor Waldo...I'm surprised he wasn't telling Andre to don't touch his stapler. Also appreciated the parody elements--as a writer also just learning about this whole wacky business, I appreciated it. I think I'll keep it on my list to read whenever I want to give up and go into something more sensible, like customer service for insurance.

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly
lisavilisa
Peltast

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2012, 08:44:51 PM »

It happened!

The Expresso Book Machine
"The patented Espresso Book MachineĀ® (EBM) makes a paperback book in minutes, at point of need. Through its EspressNetĀ® digital catalog of content, books can be ordered online or onsite at bookstores, libraries, and non-bookstore retailers. Over seven million in-copyright and public-domain titles are available on the network. The technology is also ideal for self and custom publishing."

http://ondemandbooks.com/ebm_overview.php
Fenrix
Curmudgeon
EA Staff

Have you found the Yellow Sign?

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2012, 09:40:20 PM »

Not a writer and I enjoyed the story. I've been reading enough Stephen King recently so I have plenty of fresh examples of bad masturbatory writer stories about writers. I found this one different, as it wasn't just a thinly veiled version of the author, but a significant exploration of a dystopian (for writers at least) future of publishing.

I fully admit the whole economic model of it is a bit shaky (I mean, who really believes that public arts funding for writers would EVER get past the GOP?)

The same way they do now. Expand arts funding and hide it behind Sesame Street. Then accuse folks who want to cut funds of punching Big Bird in the face. Sadly, for every Sesame Street there's a dozen of these that provide funding to something of questionable public value.

I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: