Escape Artists
October 21, 2014, 10:09:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: EP331: Devour  (Read 8798 times)
Dem
Lochage

aka conboyhillfiction.wordpress.com

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2012, 11:09:41 AM »

Tell me about the Mother of All Lizards - I want that story!
<snipped>
The upper heavens were very warm, and Hatanku cold could have been happy - or at least happier than he had been on earth - but he had come to too far to stop before reaching his goal. At last, Hatanku came to the Ultimate Gate itself, the most glorious golden gate, beautifying even the upper heavens with its presence.
<snipped>
Fixed that for you Smiley
And the Mother of All Lizards was the only one who would put up with Hatanku's antics and agreed to settle down with him, under condition that he cease his mischievous ways at once.
Hatanku promised, and to his credit he tried, but as many of us know, a leopard does not change his shorts and although a lizard can shed his skin, he cannot change who he is (even if he is a god).
And so, the Mother of All Lizards, Who Agreed To Cook The Fish Even Though She Thought It was Quite Silly As Lizards Don't Eat Fish married Hatanku in a noble and futile effort to maintain order in the world.
And that is why we celebrate Mardi-Gras, to celebrate the end of winter and the warming of the world so that Hatanku will not be tempted to swallow the Sun again and The Mother of All Lizards can finally rest a little from her vigil.
Pretty much what I thought, only without the pancakes.  Grin #suddenlyveryhungry

Science is what you do when the funding panel thinks you know what you're doing. Fiction is the same only without the funding.
ElectricPaladin
Hipparch

Holy Robot

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2012, 01:05:06 PM »

I was amazed that I got this many posts from my comment.

You had the misfortune to sound - to casual skimming - like you were complaining that there was "too much gay" in the stories on the podcast.  We have been down that road before here on the forums, and it was an unpleasant experience for pretty much everyone involved.  No worries; some folks are just a little sensitive about that kind of thing.

Welcome to the forums.  :-)  :-P

Yeah. Um. Sorry 'bout that.

Captain of the Burning Zeppelin Experience.

Help my kids get the educational supplies they need at my Donor's Choose page.
Killerkayak
Extern

« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2012, 09:53:25 PM »

Could you have dragged this story out any longer?  Was a somewhat interesting premise, but just got old.  For the last 25% of the story I just didn't care anymore.
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2012, 12:02:56 PM »

Could you have dragged this story out any longer? 

The answer is yes.  You can always drag a story out longer!   Cheesy

--David Steffen
The Submissions Grinder:  Fiction market listings, submissions tracker, always free, poetry and nonfiction markets coming soon!
Bdoomed
Pseudopod Tiger

Mmm. Tiger.

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2012, 11:23:34 AM »

I thought this story was beautiful.  I thought it captured a wonderful slice of postwar mentality, relationships, and forgiveness.  Right on.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?
Musings and Ramblings
CryptoMe
Hipparch

« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2012, 02:59:31 PM »

I liked the story most of it (except for Bruce flirting with Sergio's replacement while Sergio lays dying upstairs), but I didn't care for the ending. I would have preferred either:

1) Bruce shoots Sergio in the back of the head while hugging him so that Sergio can keep looking at Bruce as he dies, instead of looking at the barrel of a gun (though a shotgun would make this a tricky thing to do). Having Bruce also kill himself with that shot, so that he could die with his love, would have been an interesting addition.

2) Bruce lets himself be killed by the "possessed" Sergio, because he can't go on living without his love.

Either of these would have had more punch for me. As it was, the ending made the story about "Patient One" (as someone already pointed out). Considering that the rest of the story wasn't about "Patient One", this strange change in focus at the end didn't work for me.
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2012, 09:28:40 AM »

I liked the story most of it (except for Bruce flirting with Sergio's replacement while Sergio lays dying upstairs), but I didn't care for the ending. I would have preferred either:

1) Bruce shoots Sergio in the back of the head while hugging him so that Sergio can keep looking at Bruce as he dies, instead of looking at the barrel of a gun (though a shotgun would make this a tricky thing to do). Having Bruce also kill himself with that shot, so that he could die with his love, would have been an interesting addition.

2) Bruce lets himself be killed by the "possessed" Sergio, because he can't go on living without his love.

Either of these would have had more punch for me. As it was, the ending made the story about "Patient One" (as someone already pointed out). Considering that the rest of the story wasn't about "Patient One", this strange change in focus at the end didn't work for me.

To me, those were the two really obvious possibilities for endings, so the whole thing would've been ho-hum if either had been used.

--David Steffen
The Submissions Grinder:  Fiction market listings, submissions tracker, always free, poetry and nonfiction markets coming soon!
smileyinfesserton
Extern

« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2012, 11:05:29 AM »

I just wanted to say that I loved this story. And I loved Dave's narration--he did a wonderful job of portraying the grief and heartache the characters experience.   It's not often I listen to a story more than once in a month, but this one caught me.  And, yes, it did almost make me cry.  It fascinated me on a few different levels.  One of those levels was awakening me to some of my own stereotypes, particularly in the beginning of the story.  My first reaction when he started speaking about chains and the bed was an image of a little kinky S&M gay bondage, then, as the story continued and it was apparent the chains were permanent, I jumped to the conclusion it was a horror/murder scenario...I'm not sure if the author intended to play on our initial mis-impressions, but its my feeling he did, and it surprised me the conclusions I jumped to so quickly.  I think there is also a parallel with watching loved ones fight against the ravages of illness, disease or addiction and the destructive changes these can work on personality, memory.  Can you love both the person you knew before and the person they've become?  I was leery of the "evil Asian menace" as well, but I do think it worked, primarily as a example of very different cultures and sexualities coming to recognize and (pun intended), embrace their underlying humanity. 

Where did Bruce flirt with Sergio's replacement?  (And did he really have to be named "Bruce"Huh?)
Devoted135
Hipparch

« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2012, 11:56:02 AM »

I just wanted to say that I loved this story. And I loved Dave's narration--he did a wonderful job of portraying the grief and heartache the characters experience.   It's not often I listen to a story more than once in a month, but this one caught me.  And, yes, it did almost make me cry.  It fascinated me on a few different levels.  One of those levels was awakening me to some of my own stereotypes, particularly in the beginning of the story.  My first reaction when he started speaking about chains and the bed was an image of a little kinky S&M gay bondage, then, as the story continued and it was apparent the chains were permanent, I jumped to the conclusion it was a horror/murder scenario...I'm not sure if the author intended to play on our initial mis-impressions, but its my feeling he did, and it surprised me the conclusions I jumped to so quickly.  I think there is also a parallel with watching loved ones fight against the ravages of illness, disease or addiction and the destructive changes these can work on personality, memory.  Can you love both the person you knew before and the person they've become?  I was leery of the "evil Asian menace" as well, but I do think it worked, primarily as a example of very different cultures and sexualities coming to recognize and (pun intended), embrace their underlying humanity. 

Where did Bruce flirt with Sergio's replacement?  (And did he really have to be named "Bruce"Huh?)

That's interesting, my first reaction was to assume Sergio was turning into a werewolf. Tongue Glad you stopped by to share your thoughts! Smiley
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2012, 11:02:21 AM »

That's interesting, my first reaction was to assume Sergio was turning into a werewolf. Tongue Glad you stopped by to share your thoughts! Smiley

Me too!

And welcome, smileyinfesserton!

--David Steffen
Zuishness
Palmer

« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2012, 05:02:11 PM »

The people of Adelaide have become accustomed to seeing me quietly crying on the bus, as I travel to work.

As I listened it made me recall a movie I'd seen, years back, with Lee Marvin, or someone Lee Marvinesque. In it he contracted rabies and chained himself up and told his boy not to trust him after he'd gone mad. The whole issue of personality and trust being eroded by a virus was very frightening to me back then, and still is now. Strange though, the only other thing I remember is that the rabid character wore double denim. Quelle horreur.

I expected the ending to be much bleaker. However, thinking about why the author chose to write the story, it's probably less surprising in hindsight that he chose to make it about love being an unconquered force of nature.

olivaw
Peltast

« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2012, 06:56:49 AM »

Another striking allusion is The Silver Chair, which involves one mindset superseding another in a bout of 'madness'.
childoftyranny
Matross

« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2012, 09:05:06 PM »

To avoid simply reiterating what everyone else has said I'll keep my comment to something that struck me after finishing this story. While very sad and a heartwrencher it was fantastic to see a story where someone didn't become more cynical through horror. Instead of finishing with some sort of splatter or some act of violence it ended with an act of breaking through to something utterly alien to the war-torn world he inhabited. I thought the ending was very refreshing.

All in all a fantastic story, I think leaving it at that was perfect since calling it a good story would detract from what it was obviously meant to evoke.

As an aside I think that some of the best sci-fi out there evoked the same feeling as horror. This story, the realization in Ender's Game of committing genocide against an enemy you'd never even met, the solitude and hopelessness of the citizens of "The Machine Stops". All of these had moments where my stomach dropped out as I considered them and their ramifications.
Devoted135
Hipparch

« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2012, 09:22:23 AM »

As an aside I think that some of the best sci-fi out there evoked the same feeling as horror. This story, the realization in Ender's Game of committing genocide against an enemy you'd never even met, the solitude and hopelessness of the citizens of "The Machine Stops". All of these had moments where my stomach dropped out as I considered them and their ramifications.

I agree, I really like reading stories that leave you with lots of fodder for thought and discussion. The Machine Stops is a particularly good story (though of course I love Ender's Game as well) for that, I remember thinking it over for days after I discovered it. Another of my favorite dystopias is We by Yevgeny Zamyatin, which is becoming increasingly relevant as we put increasing amounts of our information in the public domain.
robertcday
Palmer

I don't need anything from you.

« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2012, 09:14:40 AM »

You had the misfortune to sound - to casual skimming - like you were complaining that there was "too much gay" in the stories on the podcast.  We have been down that road before here on the forums, and it was an unpleasant experience for pretty much everyone involved.  No worries; some folks are just a little sensitive about that kind of thing.

Hmm, erm ::approaching slowly with hands outstretched for you to sniff and hopefully conclude that i'm friendly:: is it possible to comment that I perceive there to be a high 'gay' content in the stories on the podcast without it being seen as a complaint or any form of threat? Huh Sorry, I'm new here and was not party to any previous conversation, so forgive if I rake over any old coals.
Robert.

fanaticus, meaning "insanely but divinely inspired"
Scattercat
Caution:
Editor

Amateur wordsmith

« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2012, 04:22:09 PM »

Well, for me, my reaction is: Why bring it up if you're not complaining?  If you don't care whether a given character is gay or not, then what does it matter how many characters are coincidentally gay?

Basically, saying, "Man, you guys have a lot of gay up in here" tends to heavily imply "...and that makes me uncomfortable," which tends to further imply that the speaker sees something wrong with being gay.  That sort of discussion (regardless of whether I think it's a crummy point of view or not) really doesn't have any bearing on the stories qua the stories, and thus is discouraged in story threads.

---
Mirrorshards: Very Short Stories
100 Words.  No more.  No fewer.  Every day.
Splinters of Silver and Glass - The Mirrorshards Book
robertcday
Palmer

I don't need anything from you.

« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2012, 09:11:17 AM »

You are right,
I am wrong,
let's shake on this,
and call it gone.
'sides which, there are more important things in life: the footy just kicked off!  Grin
Robert.

fanaticus, meaning "insanely but divinely inspired"
LaShawn
Editor

Writer Mommies Rule!

« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2012, 11:18:38 AM »

That was...horrible. That was horrible and wonderful. That was wonderful and horrible and DAMN YOU FERRETT AND DAVE FOR MAKING ME CRY.

This was probably one of the most hardest and bravest stories I've ever heard. I would venture to say that it crosses all three genres of fantasy, science fiction and horror. With all the controversial elements in it, this could have gone so wrong, but Ferrett really pulled it off and made all the characters sympathetic. And with Dave's reading was...damn. I'm going to say this is the best reading he's ever done. EVER.

I'm going to recommend this story to my feminist book club. There's lot in here for us to...uh...chew over.

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly
Fenrix
Curmudgeon
EA Staff

Have you found the Yellow Sign?

« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2013, 08:13:28 PM »

Wow. First of all, thank you for the strong rating before the story, that was a good call. Second of all, thanks for having Dave do the narration, I can't imagine anyone else reading this story. Third of all, yes this was an Escape Pod story, but it sure could (should?) also have been a Pseudopod story! Fenrix, we accidentally got another one for ya! Tongue

If this was over on PseudoPod, folks would be complaining about the sunshine and unicorns of love and acceptance in it.

Fun story, ElectricPaladin. It would be an amusing Easter egg for this or a related story made it to a flash fiction contest.

I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
CharlieWhiskey
Extern

searching spacetime for more ethanol

« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2013, 10:53:09 AM »

The song Demons by Imagine Dragons has been getting a lot of radio airplay by me and every time I hear it, I can't help but think of the lyrics as a 3-way conversation between the plumber, the lawyer, and the Chinese weapon.  Also reminded me of how powerful and awesome this story is.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: