Author Topic: Bathroom water discussion  (Read 5062 times)

Max e^{i pi}

• Hipparch
  • Have towel, will travel.
on: February 14, 2012, 09:28:29 PM
The whole bathroom water thing intrigues me...
Do you people brush your teeth in the kitchen?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 03:20:14 PM by Talia »

Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted!

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 10:01:00 PM

Trying soooooooooooooo hard not to make a spit or swallow joke.

Oops.

Max e^{i pi}

• Hipparch
Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 01:19:53 PM

Trying soooooooooooooo hard not to make a spit or swallow joke.

Oops.
No, I'm serious. The bathhroom water is good enough for you to clean your teeth, but not drink? Doesn't cleaning with something dirty sort of defeat the purpose?

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 01:41:21 PM
oh, and I also think theres a difference between kitchen and bathroom water. However, I don't think bathroom water is gross. I think it's just as tasty and yummy. (I am a water drinker though...I will usually choose a glass of water over anything else.)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 02:43:00 PM
No, I'm serious. The bathhroom water is good enough for you to clean your teeth, but not drink? Doesn't cleaning with something dirty sort of defeat the purpose?

That's a good point.  This last summer I went up to my uncle's cabin in northern Minnesota.  They told me they usually drink the distilled water they keep in the fridge rather than drinking from the tap.  And when I brushed my teeth the first night I realized why--their water seriously tastes like rust.  I was glad I had mouthwash to wash the taste of it from my mouth after brushing.

I usually don't drink the bathroom water at home, though I do use it for brushing.  The kitchen water is filtered and tastes great to me, but the unfiltered water tastes kind of funny.  Not bad enough that I notice it over the toothpaste flavor, but enough that if I drink a glass of water I don't like it.

Max e^{i pi}

• Hipparch
Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 03:31:17 PM

That's a good point.  This last summer I went up to my uncle's cabin in northern Minnesota.  They told me they usually drink the distilled water they keep in the fridge rather than drinking from the tap.  And when I brushed my teeth the first night I realized why--their water seriously tastes like rust.  I was glad I had mouthwash to wash the taste of it from my mouth after brushing.

I usually don't drink the bathroom water at home, though I do use it for brushing.  The kitchen water is filtered and tastes great to me, but the unfiltered water tastes kind of funny.  Not bad enough that I notice it over the toothpaste flavor, but enough that if I drink a glass of water I don't like it.
Those two examples are bad data points. There is a precise and logical reason in both cases for preferring kitchen water over bathroom water.

I want to know, all other (measurable) things being equal: if you abhor bathroom water, do you bush your teeth in the kitchen? And what about washing hands? If your hands are clean enough after washing them in the bathroom to eat with and prepare food with, why can't you drink the very same water that you just used to rinse of your hands? And does an abhorrence of bathroom water extend to towels? (kitchen towels vs. bathroom towels)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 03:35:37 PM by Max e^{i pi} »

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 06:13:00 PM
Those two examples are bad data points.

I agree.  If I were putting my previous post in a filing system, I would put it under "rambling discourse tangentially related to topic" rather than "solid data for scientific inquiry". 

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 07:07:33 PM
Those two examples are bad data points. There is a precise and logical reason in both cases for preferring kitchen water over bathroom water.

Hang on. You're throwing the data out for being too precise and logical? Or am I missing something here?

As for my own preference, using water for washing/brushing teeth is not equivalent to actually drinking it, and at home I simply prefer to not drink bathroom water (call it an odd habit). At work (= HIV research lab) we have separate labwork sinks and handwashing sinks. And there's no way you'll EVER catch me drinking water from anywhere near either of them!

Max e^{i pi}

• Hipparch
Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 09:32:35 AM

Hang on. You're throwing the data out for being too precise and logical? Or am I missing something here?
Nope. I'm discarding data that is relevant to the matter at hand, but does not provide useful input.
See, the hypothesis isn't "Bathroom water is icky because (Object reasons[])".
The hypothesis is "I don't drink bathroom water."
No reasons. In fact, somebody *cough cough* had just put it rather eloquently:
... and at home I simply prefer to not drink bathroom water (call it an odd habit).
The second point there, the HIV research lab, is similar to not drinking bathroom water because of rats or rust in the pipes. Relevant, but not useful.
The first point is not drinking bathroom water because it's an odd habit, simple preference. Relevant and useful.
And my question is about the zeroth point: why is using water for washing/brushing teeth not equivalent to actually drinking it?

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 03:01:47 PM

Nope. I'm discarding data that is relevant to the matter at hand, but does not provide useful input.
See, the hypothesis isn't "Bathroom water is icky because (Object reasons[])".
The hypothesis is "I don't drink bathroom water."
No reasons. In fact, somebody *cough cough* had just put it rather eloquently:
... and at home I simply prefer to not drink bathroom water (call it an odd habit).
The second point there, the HIV research lab, is similar to not drinking bathroom water because of rats or rust in the pipes. Relevant, but not useful.
The first point is not drinking bathroom water because it's an odd habit, simple preference. Relevant and useful.
And my question is about the zeroth point: why is using water for washing/brushing teeth not equivalent to actually drinking it?

Haha, ok now I see where you are going with it. I think it's down to whether I'm actually ingesting it. In some cases, water that is ok for skin contact or being swallowed in very small amounts may not be safe for drinking.

For example, my parents moved to Florida several years ago, and they were told by everyone not to drink the water straight from the tap. (something about high mineral content??) Anyway, they have a filtration system in the kitchen, but not in the bathrooms. So, in their bathrooms water is okay for washing/brushing teeth, but not ok for drinking. Unless it's an urban myth, odd-tasting water notwithstanding. :)

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 05:09:12 PM
I thought I didn't have a problem with bathroom water then realised that's only at home. I've no problem with drinking water out of my own bathroom but at work, I wouldn't.Way too many unknowns in a workplace bathroom. Eew.

Gamercow

• Hipparch
Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 05:12:24 PM
If I stop and think about it, I usually don't drink from bathroom faucets because the water is generally not as cold.  Or is perceived to be not as cold.

The cow says "Mooooooooo"

tpi

• Peltast
Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 05:28:55 PM
It hasn't ever, never, even occurred to me that I shouldn't drink water from the bathroom water tap.

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 08:04:16 PM
Points upwards
What tpi said.

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 01:45:22 AM
It hasn't ever, never, even occurred to me that I shouldn't drink water from the bathroom water tap.

Same here.  The same water comes out of all our spigots.  Not worried about it. 

Speaking of water, I think it's neat how different municipalities have different tasting tap water.   

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan

Max e^{i pi}

• Hipparch
Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 10:16:04 AM

Same here.  The same water comes out of all our spigots.  Not worried about it. 

Speaking of water, I think it's neat how different municipalities have different tasting tap water.   
Well that's beause the water comes from different sources.
Desalinated water will taste different from pond water will taste different from mineral-rich ground water. And different ground water from different places will taste different because of different types of minerals in the different locations.

Wow, 5 "different"s in a single sentence. A personal best. ;D

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 07:52:00 PM

Me too. I will sometimes cup my hands and drink a double-palmful in the middle of the night if I'm thirsty, rather than pad out to the kitchen and find a glass.

Unless you've got filtered water in the kitchen, all the tap water in your house is the same. "Bathroom water... ick" is all in your head.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

schizoTypal

• Palmer
    • First Flight Simulators, Ltd.
Reply #17 on: May 05, 2012, 09:44:16 PM
When I drink water, I drink it from the kitchen... why? I feel weird ingesting things in the bathroom. It seems like kitchen = in, bathroom = out.