Author Topic: All hail our new (assistant) overlord!  (Read 5252 times)

eytanz

on: February 21, 2012, 05:33:51 PM
As those of you who are more up to date with listening to the episodes than me know, the editorial staff at Escape Pod went through a small refresh lately, and the position of Assistant Editor has now been taken over by Nathan Lee, also known as Scattercat in these parts.

Anyway, I just wanted to welcome and congratulate him for the new position. Congrats, scattercat - from now onwards, it's all your fault! (cue ominous thunderclap). ;)

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 05:45:38 PM
I'm not sure if I should be prostrating myself or cowering in fear. ;)

*attempts to do both at once*

*falls on face*

(congrats :D)

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 08:33:50 PM
Congrats, scattercat - from now onwards, it's all your fault! (cue ominous thunderclap)

Eh, bring it on.  People can blame me all they want.  Long-time forumites know what happens when you pick a fight with Scattercat. 

(You get a three-page dissertation that includes multiple examples, sometimes cites outside sources, and usually primarily serves as an examplar of the phrase 'overthinking a plate of beans'.)

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 10:20:22 PM
Congrats, scattercat - from now onwards, it's all your fault! (cue ominous thunderclap)

Eh, bring it on.  People can blame me all they want.  Long-time forumites know what happens when you pick a fight with Scattercat. 

(You get a three-page dissertation that includes multiple examples, sometimes cites outside sources, and usually primarily serves as an examplar of the phrase 'overthinking a plate of beans'.)

Help! Help! I'm being repressed. Come see the violence inherent in the system!

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

jrderego

• Hipparch
  • Writer of Union Dues stories (among others)
    • J. R. DeRego - Writer
Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 10:49:30 PM
As those of you who are more up to date with listening to the episodes than me know, the editorial staff at Escape Pod went through a small refresh lately, and the position of Assistant Editor has now been taken over by Nathan Lee, also known as Scattercat in these parts.

Anyway, I just wanted to welcome and congratulate him for the new position. Congrats, scattercat - from now onwards, it's all your fault! (cue ominous thunderclap). ;)

Congrats S-cat :)

"Happiness consists of getting enough sleep." Robert A. Heinlein
Also, please buy my book - Escape Clause: A Union Dues Novel
http://www.encpress.com/EC.html

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 11:35:01 PM
By the way, I'll be gathering comments for feedback around the time the stories drop off the sticky list at the top, so if you want to show off your flair and attract my attention enough to get mentioned, you need to create your brilliant commentary before then, a'ight y'all?

(It's not necessarily a matter of meritocracy, either; I see my job as capturing the overall tone of the discussion.  However, if more than one person says something, I'll likely go with the best-stated version.)

(Oh, and if you care, make sure you have your gender in your profile or something, else I will have to contort myself to avoid using pronouns when quoting you.)

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 02:43:10 PM
Yay, congrats! Though I do hope Bill is ok and this merely represents a major life change like graduating or getting a fancy new job. Anyway, all hail the mighty Scattercat!

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 06:12:51 PM
As far as I know, Bill is fine and just didn't have the time to fulfill the job duties anymore.  :-)

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 01:38:00 AM
Look, Dave, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill and think things over. I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 04:19:03 PM
Look, Dave, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill and think things over. I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.

If there was upvoting for comments on this forum, you'd get one.

(Oh, and if you care, make sure you have your gender in your profile or something, else I will have to contort myself to avoid using pronouns when quoting you.)

Funny story -- when I got something accepted by an editor, I was trying to send him/her a note of thanks, and normally I'll say "Mr Smith" or "Ms Smith". But when I checked the ed's bio, it was written to completely avoid ANY pronouns. (I did eventually find out it was a dude.)

Also, for anyone submitting to Interzone, Andy Cox is also a dude. Took me a WHILE to find that out.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 07:35:51 AM
Fen -- what with the Python (that's gotta be my fave of all time!) and the pithy sci-fi quotes you keep me laughing. Thx!

And gratz to Cat, hope you enjoy the ride. :)

CaroCogitatus

• Extern
Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 04:22:46 PM
Yea!  I'm sure Bill was a very good audio engineer, but...his on-air...performance was monotonic and...punctuated by awkward...pauses, as if he...were reading copy for...the first...time or maybe making...it up as he...went along.  :-[

Nathan's commentary is a welcome improvement.   :)

robertcday

• Palmer
  • I don't need anything from you.
    • MeMyMine
Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 04:25:24 PM
Is there any chance that the appointment of a new (assistant) overlord could be the opportunity for someone to publish a list of who's who (like, who's 'in charge' and all-a-that) in the Escape realm, including their profile names? It's purely so that I know which boots to lick as I kick around the forum(s).  :-*
Robert.

fanaticus, meaning "insanely but divinely inspired"

eytanz

Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 04:36:20 PM
There's an org chart at http://forum.escapeartists.net/index.php?topic=2452.0 - as far as I know, it's still entirely correct for PC and PP. It lists more or less everyone by their forum names. As for Escape Pod, it's correct except for the current Assistant editor who is Nathaniel Lee, known in the forums as Scattercat.

His slot as a slush reader was filled by Chris Miller, who, to my knowledge, does not have a forum account.

robertcday

• Palmer
    • MeMyMine
Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 05:46:59 PM
Thanks Mr Eytanz (see, that's where I get confused - I don't know what to call anyone!), that's slid a few more pieces of the puzzle into place.
I just realised why you've been up and about instead of sleeping like them there folks across the Atlantic: you're here! I was looking at your profile to see if I could spot your name and I noticed that you're sitting in front of a keyboard just around the corner from me in York! If you look over towards the sun right now as it descends you might just see the same 'angel rays' peeking out below the grey clouds covering it. That's English weather for you!
Robert.

eytanz

Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 06:03:49 PM
Well, I do live in York, but at the moment I'm actually a few hours further ahead of you, as I'm currently working in Abu Dhabi for a few weeks :)

robertcday

• Palmer
    • MeMyMine
Reply #16 on: April 13, 2012, 06:06:14 PM
Well in that case say hello to my wife if you bump into her - she's just around the corner in Bahrain. Small world, yes?  :)
Robert.