Author Topic: Pseudopod 026: Flat Diane  (Read 14079 times)

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Re: Pseudopod 026: Flat Diane
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2009, 11:39:15 AM »
"Flat Diane has gone astray."

After that line, I could not listen to the rest. I think this is the only PP story so far, that I've voluntarily opted out of. Very nasty stuff, which I suppose means it succeeded as a horror story.

Russell Nash

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2009, 05:39:02 AM »
About 130 stories later and the memory of this one still freaks me out. 

Millenium_King

• Lochage
    • Ankor Sabat
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2010, 09:10:06 PM »
This was a good one.  I thought the concept was very interesting and well executed.  It was a little slow in the beginning, but given the seriousness and depth of the subject matter - I did not object.  Not much else to say, this one really leaves a dark cloud afterward.

This could have easily made my top 10, but I think it was just a little too heavy for my tastes.

Great reading.
Visit my blog atop the black ziggurat of Ankor Sabat, including my list of Top 10 Pseudopod episodes.

Marlboro

• Palmer
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2019, 10:55:19 PM »
Man, where's Flat Liam Neeson when you need him?

Looking at the other comments it seems as though most of the things I was going to talk about have already been mentioned. A very well written episode; the scene bet the two fathers was particularly well done. I also thought the ending was perfect. A completely happy ending would have felt like a copout.

My only nitpick: the dad accepted the supernatural goings on as a matter of course. He believes that his sister is in an abusive marriage on the basis of one unsubstantiated comment by his daughter and one photo. If he really did think something spooky was going on why didn't he get Flat Diane back then?

Over on the main Pseudopod page, someone made an interesting hypothesis that there is no speculative element here, that Flat Diane is not connected to Diane.  There is a point to that.  Diane could have found her dad's hiding place for the pictures, as kids sometimes do.  And she's so disturbed by those and by the recent breakup of her parent's relationship that she experiences very real mental trauma without actually being physically abused.

This is how I thought it would end.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 10:58:00 PM by Marlboro »