Escape Artists
April 23, 2014, 05:36:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PC149: Honing Sebastian  (Read 4663 times)
wingodzilla
Palmer

« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2011, 12:28:24 AM »

I just finished the story and it goes well with the dystopian mood I have found myself in. Funny really, I just got back from Room 101 and all I have to say is..."O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! I have won the victory over myself. I love Big Brother."

Dignity does not consist in possessing honors, but in deserving them. ~ Aristotle (384 - 322 B.C)
FireTurtle
Hipparch

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2011, 10:08:49 PM »

Its funny that all the posts seem to reference the slang used or 1984. I think in a longer story, when we have more of a chance to be accustomed to a certain speech mode or slang, its easier to get past it and into the characters' lives. In a short story rife with slong, its just a bit hard to get a grip on what is going on.
I was more reminded of Dicken's Oliver Twist and a little bit Gibson's Neuromancer for some reason. Perhaps I'd better dust off 1984 to see what y'all are talkin' about.

My family always uses the saying, "If it was a snake, then you'd be dead." (Describing an object close at hand that the other person can't find) I really never realized how unusual it was until I said it one day at work.  Undecided

“My imagination makes me human and makes me a fool; it gives me all the world and exiles me from it.”
Ursula K. LeGuin
LaShawn
Editor

Writer Mommies Rule!

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2011, 11:58:35 AM »

I thought this story was pretty good, though the slang didn't really do much for me. It was interesting though, that the 'rents' had an alternate meaning other than parents, and thinking on the duality of it made the story a little darker. That and the head guy's line, "The best thing you can do about your dreams is to make your reality your dream."

::thinks of all the school drama happening over the country::  ::gets very depressed::

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly
justenjoying
Peltast

« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2012, 12:53:50 AM »

This was a great idea, with a amazing way to build the setting it drew me right in, but over all it was forgettable. It
is almost sad for it's own sake. But much more like catch 22, you get the futility in the first chapter or two, and then it goes
on forever. I thought it could have ended about half way through when his "paper" was stolen. I honestly will not be
reccommending this one.
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2012, 10:51:47 AM »

This was a great idea, with a amazing way to build the setting it drew me right in, but over all it was forgettable. It
is almost sad for it's own sake. But much more like catch 22, you get the futility in the first chapter or two, and then it goes
on forever. I thought it could have ended about half way through when his "paper" was stolen. I honestly will not be
reccommending this one.

I just read Catch-22 a few months ago, and I totally agree with you on that book.  Really, I'd have been happy if I just read the first 1-2 chapters, plus the chapter titled "Major Major Major Major".

--David Steffen
The Submissions Grinder:  Fiction market listings, submissions tracker, always free, poetry and nonfiction markets coming soon!
Fenrix
Curmudgeon
EA Staff

Have you found the Yellow Sign?

« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2012, 08:58:47 PM »

reccommending this one.

I just read Catch-22 a few months ago, and I totally agree with you on that book.  Really, I'd have been happy if I just read the first 1-2 chapters, plus the chapter titled "Major Major Major Major".

I'll only agree that this story is like Catch 22 if you completely skip the first handful of chapters. The first few chapters have almost all the delightful absurdist humor. After that I agree. I'll tell you about the rest of the story, but only if you let me put these crabapples in my cheeks.

I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: