Author Topic: EP327: Revenants  (Read 15903 times)

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #25 on: February 04, 2012, 05:14:10 AM
Jesus H. Christ, people, beating children is not the solution to discipline problems.  Distract and redirect.  I can find you some books or some seminars if the concept of not beating kids is too hard to grasp.

I am seriously disturbed to see so many parents bemoaning the fact that they can't use violence and force to mandate obedience.

The mother in the story is a crappy parent because she can't think how to address a tantrum other than with spanking, and she's actually forced into intelligent parenting (distract the child, redirect focus onto something more appropriate, explain and be firm but not unyielding) as the result of the (overly intrusive, I agree) social services folks.  Whether it's up to the government to enforce such mandates is one thing, but if you can't stand your ground with a preschooler without using your superior size and strength... well, I don't know what else to tell you.

eytanz

Reply #26 on: February 10, 2012, 10:30:31 AM
I have split out all posts about slapping as a method of disciplining children (and requests not to have that discussion) to their own thread, here. I don't particularly care if that discussion continues or not over there, as long as it continues civilly, but please don't continue it in this thread.

Frungi

• Palmer
    • More contact info
Reply #27 on: February 10, 2012, 01:16:09 PM
I have split out all posts about slapping as a method of disciplining children (and requests not to have that discussion) to their own thread, here..
You also split out my recent posts asking about the story's lack of a story. No one's pointed it out if it's there. Interesting setting, yes, but nothing meaningful set there.

eytanz

Reply #28 on: February 10, 2012, 01:40:18 PM
I have split out all posts about slapping as a method of disciplining children (and requests not to have that discussion) to their own thread, here..
You also split out my recent posts asking about the story's lack of a story. No one's pointed it out if it's there. Interesting setting, yes, but nothing meaningful set there.

Your post is on-topic for this thread, but you can't just post something here and expect other people to answer it. This is clearly more of a character piece than a plot-driven story. If that's not to your taste, that's fine - you're certainly not the only one here who has that preference. Escapepod has never tried to appeal to all of the people, all of the time.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #29 on: February 20, 2012, 04:06:09 PM
The mention of how to best deal with misbehaving children in a supermarket reminds me of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U3GiEhBtiw

The world of this episode was very interesting, but I'm not really a fan of vignette's.  Sure there was tension, which is something at least, but none of it was tension that I particularly cared about.  There was tension between the mother and father, but most of that was just her whining and complaining about him without any apparent cause.  There was tension between mother and daughter, but nothing beyond what any other parent/child relationship experiences sometimes.  In the end it ended up at the same place as at the beginning.  I was interested in the details of the world, but I wanted to see something interesting actually happen there.

Also, who decided to name these resurrected animals "revenants"?  Had they never heard of legends about revenants of risen dead coming back to terrorize the living?  And making that the title of the story seriously messed with my expectations.  I was expecting some risen dead to come back to terrorize the living not a petting zoo.  Major fail on the choice of title.

Gamercow

• Hipparch
Reply #30 on: February 21, 2012, 09:36:04 PM
Also, who decided to name these resurrected animals "revenants"?  Had they never heard of legends about revenants of risen dead coming back to terrorize the living?  And making that the title of the story seriously messed with my expectations.  I was expecting some risen dead to come back to terrorize the living not a petting zoo.  Major fail on the choice of title.

I agree with you on this one, but forgot to mention it in my original review.  Revenant usually means to me something that has come back for the dead for some sort of revenge.

The cow says "Mooooooooo"

LaShawn

• Lochage
  • Writer Mommies Rule!
    • The Cafe in the Woods
Reply #31 on: May 01, 2012, 07:29:20 PM
I too liked the story, mainly for the tension between the MC and what she thinks her husband has become now. Find it a little weird on why the husband decide to live on this ice-age commune. Is the story supposed to be about the tension between technology and non-technology? It is a nice story, but I don't know what I'm supposed to get out of it.

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly

Gamercow

• Hipparch
Reply #32 on: July 05, 2012, 05:55:21 PM
Interesting story from Nat Geo that immediately made me think of this story:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/07/120702-squirrel-tail-feathers-dinosaurs-fossil-science-proceedings

The cow says "Mooooooooo"