Author Topic: Feedburner Milestone  (Read 5880 times)

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
on: February 23, 2007, 02:59:53 PM
Relative to a lot of other podcasters, I'm not a statistics junkie.  I used to be, throughout most of 2005, but after a while it starts to turn your brain to mush. 

However, one thing I do check pretty regularly is the Feedburner circulation count.  Not because it's accurate, but because it's easy to check.  If you're routing your RSS feed through Feedburner, which EP and Pseudopod do, then the Feedburner count is simply the number of unique clients that accessed your RSS feed in the past 24 hours.  It has nothing to do with downloads or listeners.  Those are harder to measure, but I believe EP's average listener count per episode is somewhere between 10,000 and 15,000.

The Feedburner count is a gauge of subscribers.  Or at least, those subscribers who were active enough to turn on their podcatching clients the day before.  This count is always much lower than the download count, but I like it because it's a simple number, I have a Mac dashboard widget that'll tell it to me whenever I hit F12 (along with the weather, the dictionary, and what movies are playing), and Feedburner provides nice graphs over time to view trends.  I also have it in the sidebar on the EP Web site.

Yesterday's Feedburner count was 7,021, hitting above 7K for the first time.  I'm pretty happy about that -- particularly since it only started topping 6,000 regularly earlier this year.  Here's the all-time graph:

That's a healthy podcast.  And again, it's thanks to all of you.  If you aren't subscribed yet, it's pretty easy -- and it'll make sure you don't miss an episode.  If you are subscribed, you have my thanks, and I hope you're enjoying the stories.

Keep telling your friends!

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

dreamingmind

• Extern
    • Dreaming Mind Bindery
Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 05:02:32 AM
Ok, I understand the little dips in December. What happened in April 2006 though? And what did you do in January 2006 that doubled your feeds?

Hmmm... thinking about it more, the April dip was probably just a settling after the experimenters from the January rush drifted away.

Don

SFEley

• Hipparch
    • Escape Artists, Inc.
Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 05:31:11 AM
Ok, I understand the little dips in December. What happened in April 2006 though? And what did you do in January 2006 that doubled your feeds?

What happened in January/February 2006: We got BoingBoinged, featured on iTunes, interviewed by Xeni Jardin on NPR, and blurbed in the London Times within a few weeks of each other.  That was all good stuff...  Though I think it was mostly the featuring on iTunes.

Hmmm... thinking about it more, the April dip was probably just a settling after the experimenters from the January rush drifted away.

I believe you're probably right.  And I was too busy figuring out how to quit my day job and get software contracting work from home to put energy into marketing it properly just then.

(That's still an issue, by the way...  But I have A Plan!  Expect a metacast soon.)  >8->

ESCAPE POD - The Science Fiction Podcast Magazine

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 02:57:24 AM
wow i never realized how popular this podcast is! 7k subscribers!  That probably explains the enormous amount of reading material here on these forums!  i can never keep up with it all!

by the way i allways enjoy metacasts/states of the podcast adresses, in any podcast.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?