Author Topic: PC203: Buried Eyes  (Read 9628 times)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #25 on: May 15, 2012, 04:21:33 PM
By the way, the addiction-as-worship metaphor is really bouncing around in my head right now. I mean, why not? Wouldn't the experience of the divine be sublime, attractive, even addictive? And why wouldn't the most selfish and short-sighted of the gods be willing to turn their followers into vegetables to reap the benefits of that most intense of worship, that most complete of sacrifices - the sacrifice of a life that goes on and on and on? What kind of power could those foolish gods gain from this shortcut, and what would be the consequences for the other gods?

Oh, man. I'm totally stealing this one. Sorry Lavie. It's mine now :P.

That is a really cool element.  That idea had first crossed my mind after "Hell is the Absence of God", which even ignoring the content of the story and only considering the title, sounds like a drug addiction.  I've written a story along those lines too (that went an entirely different direction than these two), which is slated (ish) to appear in Digital Science Fiction.  :)

augustleo

• Extern
Reply #26 on: June 28, 2012, 01:13:20 PM
A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! Great narration and world building. Awesome, awesome, awesome! I've already re-listened to this story three times.

Reed

• Extern
Reply #27 on: July 08, 2012, 03:24:01 PM
I think this was a good, enjoyable story with many interesting details and a creepy atmosphere.

However, it bugged me that after Gorel's craving got so strong that it allowed him to break the spell (which was a really cool element!) and made him nearly kill Jericho, it subsided enough to allow quite a long interaction with the sorcerer. That seemed unrealistic to me. Why not have him grab some Dust from knocked-out Jericho and *then* face the sorcerer? Or did I miss something?

My other problem was that I'd have liked a little more explanation about the connection between the sorcerer, the woman (the sorcerers re-animated love?) and Gorel's family. Yeah, I see that this is a story from a series and we'll probabably get answers elsewhere (I hope), but it made the ending a bit unsatisfying.