Author Topic: A Game of Thrones TV series  (Read 24135 times)

Umbrageofsnow

• Hipparch
  • Commenting by the seat of my pants.
Reply #25 on: April 05, 2012, 10:47:57 PM
The new season has started!  The first episode of season 2 seemed a bit all over the place to me, but I'm digging the casting for Melisandre and Stannis & Davos seemed good for what little we saw of them.  I think the problem is that there are too many locations and plotlines at this point.  In the beginning of GoT all the Starks and Lannisters are at Winterfell and Dany is across the sea, so we can introduce new plotlines all together.  Now all the new characters were at Dragonstone, but there were new plots to prepare for the season in King's Landing, Beyond the Wall, Across the sea too.

I'm hoping as the season moves along, they diverge even a bit further from the books and focus on one or two plotlines per episode with just a touch or two on the others, keeping more of the shuffling episode-to-episode rather than scene-to-scene.  The 5 seconds of Arya we saw in Ep. 1 indicates they might go this way.  Here's to hoping Ep. 2 is the Arya stabby-hour (well more likely ep. 6 or 7 but who knows).
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 10:49:41 PM by Umbrageofsnow »

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #26 on: April 07, 2012, 06:13:23 AM
Exciteeeeeeeed!  :)
Stannis isn't perfect... he's a bit of a weenie, IMO.  But whatever, Mellisandre is perfect!

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #27 on: April 07, 2012, 11:07:56 AM
  Here's to hoping Ep. 2 is the Arya stabby-hour

Ha!  I love Arya so damn much.

I loved the premier of season 2.  I thought the intros of the Dragonstone characters was as well done as could be for the small screen.  Stannis IS a weenie, but he's a weenie in the books too, in my opinion.  I dislike him immensely, the douche.  People are supposed to bend, for goodness sakes.

I'm really looking forward to the Iron Islands.  Wheee!!!!!!

Umbrageofsnow

• Hipparch
Reply #28 on: April 18, 2012, 08:44:15 PM
I never realized from the books that Balon Greyjoy's fireplace is the BEST THING on the Iron Islands.  I'm liking how they are cutting back on showing as much Dany or Stannis, hopefully Dany they each get bigger chunks for more important stuff.  Particularly Quarth, I'd like to see a whole show about Dany, although it will probably just be half in the 9th, half in the 10th episodes or something.

Glad to see they are cutting back on Arya's wandering around the wilderness, more time for Harrenhall.  Do you guys think we're missing the impact of all this war on the common folk though?  That is my one real criticism of the show so far.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #29 on: April 20, 2012, 04:22:00 PM
I kept wanting that... thing... to happen to that... person... in the last episode.  I don't remember when it happens, exactly, but once they introduced Brienne I remembered it was coming.  I REALLY want to see how they do that in the show!  So psyched.

The war's impact on the commoners doesn't really come into play all that much until Jon has to deal with the nearby town/spoiler omitted.  That, and when Cercei has to deal with the commoners as well.  Even then, however, it always takes the back burner to the struggles of nobility.  They are all too wrapped up in their own fights to consider the peasants most of the time.  Martin makes sure to talk about the commoners, but it's always from the perspective of people who kind of don't care about them :P

Umbrageofsnow

• Hipparch
Reply #30 on: April 20, 2012, 05:20:33 PM
Arya's story sees a good deal of the havoc caused by Gregor Clegane and his troops in this part of the books, that is what I was worried about with them cutting to her capture so quickly.  Also Tyrion's investigations in King's Landing, although that goes with Cersei I suppose.  I guess I'm saying that although Feast focussed on that kind of stuff a lot, it did come up earlier with some of the storylines in this season.  Point taken that there are a lot more opportunities though.

I found myself anxiously awaiting THING, as I don't remember when it happens either.  I'm interested, but worried how much of their budget will be blown.  Also, I admit to kind of liking the state of affairs before thing, I don't want to move on yet.  I am really digging the actress for Brienne by the way.

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #31 on: April 26, 2012, 06:02:47 AM
omg omg omg the thing is totally happening next episode

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #32 on: July 10, 2012, 08:06:16 PM
Watched the whole second season last week, and I have to say that I'm LOVING this adaptation. Obviously there are some deviations from the books (I've read the first three so far) but no more than seems reasonable to me. Can't wait for next season!

omg omg omg the thing is totally happening next episode

For the life of me, I can't figure out which thing you're talking about?

Umbrageofsnow

• Hipparch
Reply #33 on: July 11, 2012, 02:01:18 AM
It's harder looking back when you don't know what episode was airing next week from when he posted that.

All I have to say is that sometimes when a crazy fire priestess and a king love each other very much, a ship's captain comes and brings them a shadow.

[/quote]

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #34 on: July 11, 2012, 01:52:44 PM
It's harder looking back when you don't know what episode was airing next week from when he posted that.

All I have to say is that sometimes when a crazy fire priestess and a king love each other very much, a ship's captain comes and brings them a shadow.

Ahhh, yes, that thing! They did that really well! Also, that reminds me that I forgot to say that I love Ser Davos and I think they cast him perfectly. :)

danooli

Reply #35 on: July 11, 2012, 09:03:38 PM
This season was superb.  Loved it.  Except, I have to wonder where Talisa came from and what happened to Jeyne??

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #36 on: July 14, 2012, 09:11:44 PM
(I was talking about the shadow baby and Renly)

I absolutely looooved this season. I'm very pleased with where they are taking it and how they are adapting it.

danooli

Reply #37 on: July 14, 2012, 09:42:13 PM

CryptoMe

• Hipparch
Reply #38 on: July 19, 2012, 06:47:45 AM
Yay! There's going to be a season 3!
Diana Riggs as the Queen of Thorns is fantastic!

Umbrageofsnow

• Hipparch
Reply #39 on: July 23, 2012, 12:53:06 PM
This has just made my day; I'd completely given up hope on ever seeing Jojen or Meera, and they are BOTH in Season 3!  I had just resigned myself to the "Osha replaces all the characters" bandwagon.  I do like the actress for Osha, but I'm glad she won't be having greendreams.

danooli

Reply #40 on: July 24, 2012, 09:23:42 PM
I'm a subscriber to a popular theory about Jon Snow's parentage, one in which the Reed family should be the only living people who know the truth, so I was also worried that Jojen and Meera's roles would be reassigned.  Whew!  That theory may just be true!!!

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #41 on: October 02, 2012, 08:02:09 PM
 Paul Kaye as Thoros of Myr seems off, I think he is too young.  I always pictured Thoros as older.  will have to wait and see.  Come on March lol