Author Topic: Tor/Forge Going DRM-Free!!!  (Read 5375 times)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
on: April 24, 2012, 07:32:06 PM
Pretty big news in the e-Book world: Tor/Forge is going DRM-free for e-Books. One can only hope audiobooks will soon follow suit...

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 02:57:17 PM
 ??? May i ask what DRM is?

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 03:25:37 PM

Stupid intrusive anti-piracy coding that does nothing to dissuade piracy, but usually inconveniences paying customers.

(stands for Digital Rights Management)

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 04:04:05 PM

When you buy a book on your Kindle (or Nook, or through iBooks), it comes with a coding that won't allow you to read it on any other device (unless you have the dedicated app). Now, you buy the eBook, you can read it on whatever you want.

(It's what the music industry did because they got scared nobody would buy music. So songs you bought on iTunes could only be played on your iPod.)

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 04:12:01 PM
Oh cool! Thank you both!

Scribblor

• Extern
    • My blog
Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 01:11:47 PM
Excellent news! DRM is the major drawback to owning a Kindle. My sister, my dad and I all have very similar tastes in books, and we'll usually lend each other whatever we've been reading. Can't do that with Kindle, and it's definitely stopped me from buying a lot of books in e-format.

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 04:57:06 PM
Excellent news! DRM is the major drawback to owning a Kindle. My sister, my dad and I all have very similar tastes in books, and we'll usually lend each other whatever we've been reading. Can't do that with Kindle, and it's definitely stopped me from buying a lot of books in e-format.

I won't own a Kindle, but I've bought a few books in Kindle format. I have an Android tablet with the Kindle app on it, and recently acquired a used iPod Touch that I've put the Kindle app on as well.
Also have a second tablet, a B&N "Nook Tablet" which doesn't have Kindle available unless I r00t it, but I've noticed that some books in the Nook store can be lent.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising