Author Topic: A tawdry tiring affair or the first bit of my thoughts on the Mars Trilogy  (Read 4705 times)

childoftyranny

• Matross
*title refers to my thoughts, not the Mars Trilogy  

I am currently between 50 and 75 percent through Blue Mars and have decided I shall begin what I fear is going to be a long and convoluted process of discussing the 7 course meal that is the Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanely Robinson.

Far worse, I am starting off with thoughts about the reviews I've read so far, and how they've left me absolutely flabbergasted. Across all three color books the reviews mention: how long they are, the fact that they cover a great deal of time, take place in a novella type format, that there is a lot of science and interaction with people moving into the centuries and usually the use of the word epic at least once. Yet they seem totally oblivious to the absolute goldmine of discussion and thought that ought to arise on the science, the social and then the fusion of the two. Perhaps a book review isn't really the place for those thoughts but with how much a role they play in the books...it seems like these reviewers missed not only the boat, but they never even found the dock, yet they all seemed to enjoy the novels greatly. Strange.

Bah, wrong forum, when a moderator notices I'd be much obliged if this could be popped over to the Podcastle Sci-Fi Discussion forum.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 05:28:17 PM by childoftyranny »

Ocicat

• Castle Watchcat
  • Anything for a Weird Life
Moved out of Podcastle territory and into EP territory as requested...

Personally I only ever got through the first book (Red) - though I liked it quite a bit.  There were just other more pressing things waiting on my to be read list.

childoftyranny

• Matross
Personally I only ever got through the first book (Red) - though I liked it quite a bit.  There were just other more pressing things waiting on my to be read list.

I can definitely understand that, the first is certainly the most hard-scifi of the three as its about the how, over the reaction.

Perhaps I'll hit some of the colonization science next, I think the terraforming science deserves its own section.. I wouldn't even begin to think I could really compete with Mr Robinson on the possibilities to turning the elements found in the ground and the air of Mars into useful materials, he obviously did a great deal of research of which I'm unlikely to try and match. Everything he wrote about felt solid enough, though one could complain that it felt like nearly every process they used resulted in very generous amounts of material, with little to no waste, that seems improbable at best.

That was one curiosity, the first group of settlers was unusually successful in their colonization step (not one died). Moving beyond that it was quite amazing to see how much one might obtain from the colonized world with only the initial habitats and then equipment to be able to construct the rest could provide. This reminds me in a vague way of using Arch Linux, you start off with just the tools needed to build whatever you desire, allowing you to truly build your own system.

Power is an essential element of any colonization effort and I found it intriguing that the original source was nuclear reactors that were launched from Earth and waiting for them there, its very logical but not what I'd first think, especially of a project that was partially US led, we are a bit off put by atomic energy in my opinion. And later on a fuel produced from the available called Tetrazine, which appears to be a real compound http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=15403708. Later on we see some uses of solar energy but never is it a very major energy source.

This strikes me as odd since one of a big differences between this world and our own is the enormous efficacy of AI controlled equipment, considering this it seems rather odd that all the initial work was done by locally controlled machines once the colonists arrived, perhaps KSR simply preferred a hands on approach.

I think that's all for now, I've love to hear other thoughts on the science of Red Mars!

Robot Overlord Minion

• Extern
  I have to say I was disappointed with that book.   Yeah, I know you wanted to talk about the science, but as a Titan fan, Mars is an over rated rock.  Anyway, the book.  They made this big song and dance about picking the best and the brightest to send to Mars and make it Humanities last hope...choosing errr...been a while...100, 300?  whatever.  Not only does one of the best and brightest of that final pick smuggle a squeeze on board, but they don't even GET to Mars before they go off mission and basically screw Earth and it's billions of desperate people from salvation.
  Then when they did start terraforming Mars, they couldn't decide on a direction and instead diverted most of thier energy to screwing each other over.  Gotta say, by the time the Earth forces showed up, I was rooting for them to nuke the traitors from orbit and start over. 
  Warning to all future Mars dirt rats.  You try this garbage for real and we're gonna come after you in an unfriendly way.
  Ok, the science was cool though dated.  They didn't slam enough rocks into it from the start, people got there too early and they didn't seed Mars with enough bio-mass fast enough.  Yawn, Mars.  Yeah, Titan!

childoftyranny

• Matross
Little did I know I was stepping into a battle between Titan and Mars, I'd imagine Mars being more likley purely on the fact that its closer but I know little about Titan.

I agree really that the fact that first 100 reveal in latter books it sounds like you might have stopped after Red Mars that they essentialy trick all the earths best psychologists, apparently because they were real scientists, kind of fascinating that. And while they did certainly betray the Earth's interests by the end of the first book could you imagine nuking the entire works, the years of efforts on the planet and before they arrived, naw. At least by the end of Blue Mars it appears that some sense was finally knocked into them even if you had to deal with two books of Martian Utopianism to get to it. Odd stuff!

Cattfish

• Palmer
How many space elevators does it take...

Robot Overlord Minion

• Extern
  No, I drudged wearily to the end of the third book and was still cheering for the Earth Forces to wipe them out, all of them...

Scatcatpdx

No, I drudged wearily to the end of the third book and was still cheering for the Earth Forces to wipe them out, all of them...

I had the similar feelings, The fist book  was ok but cliched (evil corporations (check)) , then it took a hard left turn in new age, hippie dippy counter culture and Marxism. I felt a fourth book need to made made Red Mars II   the Gulags of Mars.