Escape Artists
February 21, 2018, 04:10:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Vote for your favorite Podcastle episodes - winners will be featured in our anniversary celebration!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: EP340: Golubash (Wine-Blood-War-Story)  (Read 9599 times)
Cattfish
Palmer

« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2012, 02:31:23 AM »

Still, I'd love to see more food in spec fic. Mmm, unicorn steaks...

Indeed, because if you think about it there's more than one way to do a first contact story...  "We are very happy to eat, I mean, meet you."  And it would be a nice turn of the norm if the humans were the ones to do the eating and greeting.   Grin
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2012, 12:48:15 PM »

There are few things that I find more thoroughly boring than listening to a wine-tasting.  (Watching golf on TV is one of them)  I enjoy the occasional glass of wine, though my tastes go more toward the dessert wine that an enthusiast might sneer at.  Moscato is my particular favorite.  But I have never had any interest in listening to people talk about the undertones and the woody aroma and whatever else people talk about when they talk about wine.  I'm just not interested.

So predictably, this story was a very hard sell.  I was interested in the Hyphens being extensions of the planetary being, enough so that I listened 18 minutes in after I'd been tempted to shut it off already.  But then it kept on going on with the wines and on, and on, and on.  After 18 minutes I tapped out because I just didn't have the patience anymore, and then realized that the episode wasn't even halfway over at that point.  Yikes, I'm glad I didn't stick through to the end.

I would love to read a story about Golubash without all the wine-tasting.  That part sounded interesting, but not worth wading through the rest.
Listener
Hipparch

I place things in locations which later elude me.

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2012, 01:01:33 PM »

There are few things that I find more thoroughly boring than listening to a wine-tasting.  (Watching golf on TV is one of them) 

Watching golf on TV is only fun if you're watching it with other golf enthusiasts. We used to get wild at my old job during tournaments, watching them on the big TVs in the newsroom.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42
LaShawn
Lochage

Writer Mommies Rule!

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2012, 10:41:31 AM »

A science fiction story framed around wine. Delicious! I loved the history in this. There was so much information in this I had to read along, but I've always enjoyed Valente's style, so reading it, along with listening to it was a treat. Understanding it, on the other hand, required reading through the forum. But that's okay. I love you all. You increase my intelligence a little more each day.

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly
SF.Fangirl
Peltast

« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2012, 08:23:08 PM »

My thoughts exactly.  I actually started  this story, got bored/lost, stopped, and had to force myself to come back to listen for the sake of completeness.  I liked it better than expected from the start, but I think this was a poor choice for audio.  In addition to French words and numerous names, the dates were a problem (honestly I still don't know if the historical story (ie the main plot) was told in order or not).  IMO stories which reference dates like this are often a poor choice for audio because I can't flipped back a page or two to see the previous date when the next is mentioned.

This story in audio form evoked a "meh."  I suspect I could have gotten more out of reading it where I could have skimmed all the wine details which didn't do anything for me.

Tldr: story would probably work better in unicode than compressed audio.
Longshoreman
Extern

« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2012, 04:51:02 PM »

Wow, I'm not a great lover of a book made up of a lot of description, I prefer and slick plot and clever characters. Simply wow though, the description was fabulous.
I found the intricate political back story very interesting that could easily be related to many situations but I will desperately try to avoid politics. I will say that this did make me think that it had a strong reference to a major power thinking with its oil filled balls constricting small companies into conformity.
I loved this story, the descriptions of the wines was fantastic and the french behind them really gave the story a sense of passion. The mixtures of grapes and the history behind them another interesting selection of facts that really gave the story flavour.
At points this story did get a little too much, especially with the french, not being as fluent as I would like to be, a little too much. If there was a little less it would have been perfect.
I must confess, listening this story late a night, I didn't quite grasp the "god" concept in the form of Golubash, but that perhaps that was more down to me being a little slow when I tried to understand the message of the story. I did really enjoy this one, and the descriptions of the wine, I felt, were good.
hardware
Matross

« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2012, 02:42:08 PM »

I'm a wine drinker without being a wine snob, but I really liked this story, and I must say that without the wine-tasting framing and segwaying of this story, it would have been pretty ordinary and forgettable, but the way it resonated the character of the different wines with the telling of the history of this colony and the world-organism was pretty powerful. It was the kind of space opera I like, mildly surrealistic and very unsubtle. As for the mispronounciations, I'm sure that's how they will sound in the future, when only wine snobs remembers enough fragments of the french language to mark their territory.
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2012, 08:58:57 AM »

As for the mispronounciations, I'm sure that's how they will sound in the future, when only wine snobs remembers enough fragments of the french language to mark their territory.

What will have happened to the French in this future?
Scattercat
Caution:
Hipparch

Amateur wordsmith

« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2012, 12:05:53 AM »

As for the mispronounciations, I'm sure that's how they will sound in the future, when only wine snobs remembers enough fragments of the french language to mark their territory.

What will have happened to the French in this future?

Tragic hypersauce mishap.

---
Mirrorshards: Very Short Stories
100 Words.  No more.  No fewer.  Every day.
Splinters of Silver and Glass - The Mirrorshards Book
Umbrageofsnow
Hipparch

Commenting by the seat of my pants.

« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2012, 06:31:41 AM »

Tragic hypersauce mishap.

Sounds like a description of my cooking. Or a great band name.

Anyway, just got around to listening to this one, I liked it, but I feel the same way a lot of people did about Resnick's "Homecoming". Valente is absolutely brilliant, one of my favorite authors, but this felt like a more generic Catherynne M. Valente story. No one else would have written it this way, but the best things are things that would be impressive had I not already read Catherynne M. Valente doing those things much better.

"A Buyer's Guide to Maps of Antarctica" is my all-time favorite story of hers, with "Thirteen Ways of Looking at Space/Time" not far behind. Here we have pretty much the same structure, without as interesting of a story. Most of her others just kill me, this one leaves me a bit cold. Which is not to say that the writing wasn't great, with an interesting structure, good characters, and wonderful descriptions.  Just that the Valente-bar is set higher than this, at least for me. I'm glad I listened to it, but it will be like twentieth place in stories of hers I force on other people.
Grumpoid
Extern

« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2012, 07:50:12 AM »

Green Patches with a downbeat ending.
You will be assimilated - resistance is futile
waiting for the albatrosses

Think that covers it.

I started with this one by reading the comments first, probably shan't do that again. From the comments I reckoned "not my sort of thing - next" and didn't bother with it.
Then found a reference to it on another website as their favourite story of the year, so I gave it a go.

Loved the first bit. I liked the language, the quietly understated ridiculing of the wine jargon, (even if the river was a bit too much like the river in Ian Watson's rather brilliant Book of the River). What I liked was the telling the story between the lines, the slow build. Very nicely controlled. Then we got to 2390 (or thereabouts, I'm not going to look it up) and suddenly the reaching structures topple, becoming unconvincing (The Cola navy and the Vinquisition) willing suspension of disbelief simply evaporated in a puff of "Huh?". The prose became opaque and uninteresting (to me, if you loved it fine, I'm happy for you) I struggled through to the end, like when someone you know quite well is telling a long, long, joke in a bar, and you knew the punchline five minutes ago but still have to sit and listen with your cheeks propped up into a polite but slightly uncomfortable smile.

I suppose if you've never heard of Asimov, never seen an episode of STNG with the Borg in it, or read Who Goes There, or seen The Thing, then these ideas may seem fresh.

She's a very good writer, but I think she ran out of steam, interest and ideas about halfway through this one.

Curate's Egg for me.

jaddle
Extern

« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2012, 12:22:15 PM »

I really didn't like listening to this one - maybe the narrator was at fault, but more likely it just doesn't fit in audio very well. I always check the forums though, to see what other people thought, and I'm glad I did! After seeing that so many people loved this one, I went back and read it, and really quite liked it! I'm just posting this in case anyone else reads the forum the same way I did - I definitely recommend reading the story instead of listening to it.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: