Author Topic: PC207, Giant Episode: Hope Chest  (Read 10851 times)

Father Beast

• Lochage
Reply #25 on: June 15, 2012, 10:52:04 PM
I made one of the first comments on this story, which everyone appears to have then ignored, in order to go on with the most ridiculous reasons for disliking this story. After reading all that nonsense, I reviewed the episode again, and guess what? it's still good! I may put this one up with the best that Podcastle has put forth!

Listening to this story is like reading a graphic novel sized origin story of some new hero. Sure it's bloody and mature rated, but so are a lot of comics these days. Anyone ever read Preacher and the blood and guts without consequences in that comic, for example?

It is also clearly not a Hitler, but some supernatural enemy, which is why her own supernatural powers are the only thing that could oppose him. So the magic spell the people were under had little if any relation to non magical despots who only use their own charisma.

I am also fascinated by the possibilities inherent in the end of the story, wherein the next obvious step is to go searching for the origin of herself, her hope chest, and how it all connects to that enemy she faced in her hometown.

You know, this story actually gets better for me with a relisten.

eytanz

Reply #26 on: June 16, 2012, 03:48:32 PM
I made one of the first comments on this story, which everyone appears to have then ignored, in order to go on with the most ridiculous reasons for disliking this story. After reading all that nonsense, I reviewed the episode again, and guess what? it's still good! I may put this one up with the best that Podcastle has put forth!

I'm sure you mean to be tongue-in-cheek here, but neither demanding other people address your comments, nor dismissing dissenting opinions as "ridiculous", are acceptable on these forums.

I'm glad you found the story so enjoyable, and that what didn't work for others worked for you. And you're more then welcome to try to argue for your position. But please do so in a manner respectful to other posters on this thread.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #27 on: June 17, 2012, 11:41:37 AM
Listening to this story is like reading a graphic novel sized origin story of some new hero. Sure it's bloody and mature rated, but so are a lot of comics these days. Anyone ever read Preacher and the blood and guts without consequences in that comic, for example?

Preacher I found rather revolting, strangely compelling and quite thought-provoking. All of which means -- I probably enjoyed it? I know I've borrowed the entire thing twice from my library. Might be time to borrow again :)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #28 on: June 18, 2012, 02:18:08 PM
It is also clearly not a Hitler, but some supernatural enemy, which is why her own supernatural powers are the only thing that could oppose him. So the magic spell the people were under had little if any relation to non magical despots who only use their own charisma.

It was clearly not Hitler himself, if nothing else because he was American. 

But it also seemed clear to me (and also to others here) that he was meant to be very Hitler-like, in his rise to power.  A lot of the background details here reminded me of details I've read in books like Sophie's Choice, and I don't think that was mere coincidence.

LaShawn

• Lochage
  • Writer Mommies Rule!
    • The Cafe in the Woods
Reply #29 on: June 27, 2012, 04:33:26 PM
Very interesting. Kept me riveted. The only time I was taken out of the story was not so much all the killing or the seemingly lack of free will. It was the aftermath, when suddenly the train pulls away, and Alice May doesn't seem fazed. She makes no attempt to jump off, even though it's clearly a "supernatural train".

That made me wonder about the whole good vs evil archetype throughout the entire story. Was the train itself meant to be a metaphor that both spring from the same place, considering that evil dude was riding the train before Alice May? Where will that train go now? Will the evil guy revive in a different dimension the same way Alice May did, as a baby? Are both doomed to fight their battle, over and over and over again, in alternate universes?

If that's the case, I feel sorry for the townspeople, in that they were caught up in some ancient battle that had nothing to do with them. They were just in the way.

Mur's reading, btw, was absolutely riveting.

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #30 on: June 28, 2012, 01:55:34 PM
That made me wonder about the whole good vs evil archetype throughout the entire story. Was the train itself meant to be a metaphor that both spring from the same place, considering that evil dude was riding the train before Alice May? Where will that train go now? Will the evil guy revive in a different dimension the same way Alice May did, as a baby? Are both doomed to fight their battle, over and over and over again, in alternate universes?

I did get that impression, yeah, that Annie Oakley would continue to be reborn at times of need.  Unfortunately those times of need are apparently caused by the reborn Enemy so it all seems kind of pointless.

The riding off on the train was, to me, evocative of the old Western trope of riding off into the sunset, fitting for Oakley to do.