Author Topic: EP338: The Trojan Girl  (Read 12449 times)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #25 on: May 21, 2012, 01:32:26 PM
Every expert complains about this,

Not every.

Fair enough.

I bet most experts feel it. I bet some complain about it. But it's true; not everyone complains.

I have complained about it in other circumstances.  In general, for me to get very worked up about it the story would have to be rather boring (so that I was nitpicking for my own entertainment) or presented as hard SF (so that I would be annoyed at the presentation as factual).  This was entertaining enough that I didn't care.

But the reason that I replied to say "not every" is that I had, moments before, said that I had no complaints.  So either not every expert complains, or I am not an expert.  Certainly there are many with more expertise than me, but I'd still call myself an expert.  :)

Gamercow

• Hipparch
Reply #26 on: May 22, 2012, 01:10:28 PM
For the most part, I don't mind when a story does not fit in with reality, I can stretch my suspension of disbelief pretty far.  I have problems with technical realities of a story in two ways, when it is internally inconsistent, or when it the story is put forth as being accurate to reality.  I don't think this story was doing either of those.  I can't think of a story here off the top of my head that is either of the above, but I'm sure I've commented on them before. 

My area of "expertise" is astronomy, cosmology, and physics(sort of).  FTL travel, I'm okay with for the most part as long as it is internally consistent.  Sounds in space and heads popping due to exposure bother me.  It's weird, I know.

The cow says "Mooooooooo"

LaShawn

• Lochage
  • Writer Mommies Rule!
    • The Cafe in the Woods
Reply #27 on: May 22, 2012, 06:43:06 PM
Had a hard time parsing this one until they meet with that dude in the "amusement park". From there, I was hooked. I liked this one, but would like to read it so that it sinks in more.

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly