Author Topic: The Host  (Read 8967 times)

johnhummel

• Extern
  • The problem is always you
    • What the hell is wrong with you?
on: February 24, 2007, 12:30:51 AM
I caught this the other day and thought - huh - it looks pretty cool!

It's a good old fashioned "Monster Movie" kind of genre.  Big things come out of the water eating and stomping on the populace.  But when the youngest daughter of the local household gets taken by the creatures, a small three generational family will go into the depths to get hre back.

Here's el linko grande:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/magnolia/thehost/

Anywho, there it be :).

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 02:36:32 PM
Fabulous movie.  Probably the best way to describe it is halfway between Little Miss Sunshine and Shaun of the Dead.

Seriously.

It's as much about a group of endearingly crap, relentlessly normal people struggling to cope with the fact that a colossal monster has kidnapped their niece and is menacing the city.  Very funny, very poignant, a fantastic monster and the best random hobo in movie history.  This one gets the Al seal of approval.  Admittedly so did ARMAGEDDON but trust me this time, it really is good:)

lowky

• Hipparch
  • from http://lovecraftismissing.com/?page_id=3142
Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 06:50:21 PM
Fabulous movie.  Probably the best way to describe it is halfway between Little Miss Sunshine and Shaun of the Dead.

Seriously.

It's as much about a group of endearingly crap, relentlessly normal people struggling to cope with the fact that a colossal monster has kidnapped their niece and is menacing the city.  Very funny, very poignant, a fantastic monster and the best random hobo in movie history.  This one gets the Al seal of approval.  Admittedly so did ARMAGEDDON but trust me this time, it really is good:)

there's nothing wrong with Armageddon, likewise there is nothing wrong with Independece Day either.  You just have to look at both movies as what they are.  B-movies with A-list stars and budget.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 06:58:05 PM
I'll have to keep a look-out for this one.  Thanks, you guys.  It's not out on DVD yet, is it?

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 10:06:35 PM

Seriously.

there's nothing wrong with Armageddon, likewise there is nothing wrong with Independece Day either.  You just have to look at both movies as what they are.  B-movies with A-list stars and budget.

I'm SO glad someone else thinks that way:)  Plus Armageddon appeals to my inner spaceflight geek to an incredible level.

Nelka

• Extern
    • DorkDujour
Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 12:22:16 AM
I watched this movie a couple of weeks ago and it was good stuff. 

oddpod

• Matross
Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 11:02:54 AM
i liked it too
good fun

any one eals watch a lot of eastern horror/weird stuff?

i am a sucker for thing like The Happiness Of The Katakuris, battel Royal, verses and itchi the killer

card carying dislexic and  gramatical revolushonery

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 03:02:34 PM
Saw the trailer for this on the DVD of Cashback.  Thought "this looks awesome."  Watched it Sunday night (in Korean with subtitles of course).  Loved it.

Next up is another whose trailer I saw on the Cashback DVD -- Severance.

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

oddpod

• Matross
Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 06:54:33 AM
severance is good fun,
not shawn of the dead fun, but a farly soled  non the less

just dont eat the pie

card carying dislexic and  gramatical revolushonery

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #9 on: April 19, 2008, 02:07:49 PM
severance is good fun,

just dont eat the pie

Why, has Jason Biggs been at it?  ;D

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising

Darwinist

• Hipparch
Reply #10 on: April 19, 2008, 02:34:21 PM
severance is good fun,

just dont eat the pie

Why, has Jason Biggs been at it?  ;D

Yow!  Stiffmeister!!

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.    -  Carl Sagan