Author Topic: Pseudopod 285: Kill Screen  (Read 26715 times)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #50 on: August 16, 2012, 04:12:56 PM
I can't remember the name, but I once played a text adventure that was pretty damn scary, which is more what this had me thinking of.

Perhaps it was "Lurking Horror" by Infocom?  Inspired by Lovecraft and I think it's Infocom's only straight-up horror game.  You're snowed in on a college campus where strange shenanigans are occurring.  Free download on Abandonia.com:
http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/434/Lurking+Horror%2C+The.html

During junior high my uncle gave me "The Lost Treasures of Infocom", which had a whole bunch of Infocom text games, including that one.  I still have the floppy disks for that.  I really need to back those up on better permanent storage before the disks go bad or I lose them.

kibitzer

• Purveyor of Unsolicited Opinions
  • Hipparch
  • Kibitzer: A meddler who offers unwanted advice
Reply #51 on: August 20, 2012, 02:54:26 AM
During junior high my uncle gave me "The Lost Treasures of Infocom", which had a whole bunch of Infocom text games, including that one.  I still have the floppy disks for that.  I really need to back those up on better permanent storage before the disks go bad or I lose them.

Absolute gold. Those Infocom games were really something.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #52 on: August 20, 2012, 01:57:22 PM

Absolute gold. Those Infocom games were really something.

Yes!  I don't think I ever finished any of the games because they were HARD!  But there was enough to explore that it distracted from my failure pretty well.  :)

Umbrageofsnow

• Hipparch
  • Commenting by the seat of my pants.
Reply #53 on: August 22, 2012, 12:26:59 PM
Perhaps it was "Lurking Horror" by Infocom?  Inspired by Lovecraft and I think it's Infocom's only straight-up horror game.  You're snowed in on a college campus where strange shenanigans are occurring.  Free download on Abandonia.com:
http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/434/Lurking+Horror%2C+The.html

It wasn't that, but that sounds amazing! I will download and waste far too much time on it soon. Thanks! (Sincerely).

Perhaps it was not an infocom game.  I'll post it if I figure it out.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #54 on: August 21, 2014, 01:20:35 PM
I named this my #12 favorite Pseudopod episode:
http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/2014/08/podcast-spotlight-pseudopod/

ElrathiaKing

• Extern
Reply #55 on: February 13, 2023, 04:23:03 PM
Hello. Here I am over a decade after this was originally published to say I'm listening to the archive and it freaked me the heck out. I had it playing quietly on my phone while I walked my dog because I didn't want to pause it.