Author Topic: PC240: Seeking Captain Random  (Read 4558 times)

EFBQ

• Extern
Re: PC240: Seeking Captain Random
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 08:53:37 AM »

If you want to insist on the non-magic interpretation of her conversation with Captain Random, then you certainly can, but the story still makes internal sense.  In the first section, she harps repeatedly on how she believes what she can see and observe, how she trusts what she can interact with (if nothing else).  By the end, she has "observed" Captain Random and spoken with him.  You, from the outside, might say that it was likely a hallucination, but it clearly felt real to her (and she emphasizes that she checked her credit card records to confirm that she didn't dream the whole day).  It's hardly out of character for her to take her observations at face value and extrapolate the same framework I described above.

No, what was 'out of character' was that she started *looking* for Captain Random in the daytime world.   She made a very deliberate choice to pursue a mystical experience, on the strength of a die which she had previously concluded was a practical joke.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 09:17:24 AM »

If you want to insist on the non-magic interpretation of her conversation with Captain Random, then you certainly can, but the story still makes internal sense.  In the first section, she harps repeatedly on how she believes what she can see and observe, how she trusts what she can interact with (if nothing else).  By the end, she has "observed" Captain Random and spoken with him.  You, from the outside, might say that it was likely a hallucination, but it clearly felt real to her (and she emphasizes that she checked her credit card records to confirm that she didn't dream the whole day).  It's hardly out of character for her to take her observations at face value and extrapolate the same framework I described above.

No, what was 'out of character' was that she started *looking* for Captain Random in the daytime world.   She made a very deliberate choice to pursue a mystical experience, on the strength of a die which she had previously concluded was a practical joke.

Everyone grieves differently. I didn't find her behavior implausible.
All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2013, 12:09:02 PM »

I agree.  At that point she started a desparate quest to do something which I would've expected her character to consider pure nonsense.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2013, 02:26:27 PM »
What Fenrix said. 

A) She was clearly interested in the concept even before her friend's death, so saying that she would have dismissed it out of hand is already contradicted by the story itself.  (She talks about reading up on dreams and dream interpretations and the collective unconscious during one of their last meetings.  Not that she believes in it, necessarily, but she clearly is intrigued by the idea of a figure appearing in shared dreamspace.)

B) HE obviously felt very strongly about it.  It makes sense to me that she would try to understand his 'quest' for herself now that he's gone and can't help her understand it himself.  It would be a way to feel close to him.
---
Mirrorshards: Very Short Stories
100 Words.  No more.  No fewer.  Every day.
Splinters of Silver and Glass - The Mirrorshards Book

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2013, 10:05:02 AM »
What Fenrix said. 

A) She was clearly interested in the concept even before her friend's death, so saying that she would have dismissed it out of hand is already contradicted by the story itself.  (She talks about reading up on dreams and dream interpretations and the collective unconscious during one of their last meetings.  Not that she believes in it, necessarily, but she clearly is intrigued by the idea of a figure appearing in shared dreamspace.)

B) HE obviously felt very strongly about it.  It makes sense to me that she would try to understand his 'quest' for herself now that he's gone and can't help her understand it himself.  It would be a way to feel close to him.

She was interested in dream interpretation, as was he.  Searching for dreams in the real world does not follow for me for a rational person.

Talia

• Muahahahaha
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2013, 04:14:26 PM »
What Fenrix said. 

She was interested in dream interpretation, as was he.  Searching for dreams in the real world does not follow for me for a rational person.

Even the most rational person may be prone to bouts of irrationality when they are grieving.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2013, 03:33:20 PM »
What Fenrix said. 

Even the most rational person may be prone to bouts of irrationality when they are grieving.

I can buy that.  But I don't find it all that compelling to watch the irrational search.