Author Topic: 2012 dragoncon meetup?  (Read 3180 times)

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
on: July 17, 2012, 03:09:37 PM
Are there any plans to do an Escape Artists meetup for Dragoncon 2012? I'm not planning to go to the con -- it's WAY too big and busy for me -- but if enough people are in town, it'd certainly be cool to pick a time and place to get together and stand around shyly while trying to work up the courage to talk to other people have an in-person chat.

I seem to remember they used to happen Sunday mornings. Not, you know, an ideal time, given that everyone will be up late Saturday night, but I'm game for whenever. Doing it off-site would be good, unless someone has a big enough room to support however many people are coming and is willing to help me pick up (and carry up) a screaming crap-ton of food from Publix.

Thoughts?

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 10:05:10 PM
I've been avoiding it for the last couple years. From what I understand, last year (finally) they allowed one of the numerous computer nerds who love the convention to put together a registration system that doesn't suck. People reported waiting in lines substantially less than the historical five-ish hours. I am not completely convinced they won't return to their clay tablets this year. I'm also not convinced they're taking any greater steps to keep tourists out. Therefore, I'm not convinced that I need to give them any of my money.

That said, Ben Phillips has made plans to attend. I usually go to Trader Vic's on Thursday night (don't need a badge for that). I could probably be convinced to do a thing, and could probably get Ben to make an appearance as well.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 06:01:51 AM
My friend expressed interest in going with me today. I might be going! I'd loooove to meet up with some people! :)

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 02:08:48 PM
Well, I mean, I live here, so it's not really a hardship for me to go. I'm not really an organizer type or anything. I figure we need to find a brunch place for Sunday morning, make a reservation for however many people we have, and do it that way. Maybe on an evite or something -- we're all smart enough to actually put the correct number of attendees (I'm looking at you, people who responded to my daughter's birthday party as "1 adult" even though you have "mom, dad, and two kids who you said in your comments are coming to the party"). Evites can be made "open" in that we don't have to actually invite anyone specific. Just put a "closeout" date on it.

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 07:24:12 PM
The best thing within walking distance of the Con that best represents the region is Gladys Knight's Chicken and Waffles, but it doesn't open until 11 on Sunday. The rest of the stuff close is a Usual Suspect or really pricey. The biggest negative is they don't do big groups very well.

Der Biergarten is another option. Slightly longer walk for con-goers, and doesn't highlight the region. However, it is ideally set up for groups and also has lots of beer. Served in liter mugs.

The closest option in a public space is the Peachtree Center food court, but we will have to fight for space.

I'm thinking out loud right now. What time would work for folks? What kind of venue do you want? How important are walkability, beer, and noise?

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Listener

• Hipparch
Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 01:55:23 PM
Beer is less important to me personally (I prefer liquor).

Since MARTA is close to the con, it's not a stretch for people to drop $5 for a train trip to/from somewhere else. I know there's a bunch of restaurants up at Sandy Springs (nine stops north of Peachtree Center) that can support groups. I mean, given how much D*C already costs, $5 is a pittance IMO.

For me, I want somewhere that's not insanely loud at that time, somewhere that has a good selection of bacon-related merchandise, and somewhere that has enough seating.