Author Topic: Serenity without Firefly  (Read 41530 times)

Russell Nash

on: February 25, 2007, 04:56:54 PM
OK, I admit it. I've never seen Firefly. I keep looking at the DVD waiting for the price to come down a ittle bit before I buy it.

Serenity is on cable tonight. Does Serentiy stand on it's own enough that I can enjoy it without having seen Firefly first?

Talia

• Muahahahaha
Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 05:53:40 PM
I think so, though you miss out on a fair amount backstory. Still a fun flick regardless. Personally, I'd recommend recording the movie and renting the series first (if its available to rent). It makes it that much better.

Russell Nash

Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 06:00:28 PM
Serenity is already cheap enough to just buy, so maybe I'll just skip it and buy it later.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 08:54:48 PM

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.

Xenomundus

• Palmer
Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 12:52:50 AM
I watched Serenity first and it was immediately one of my favorite movies. Now having seen Firefly it really builds in the characters, but I don't regret seeing the movie first.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 03:08:51 AM
I rented the series first, since I knew the movie would be the "final chapter".  Then I rented the movie Friday, quickly on the heels of the final episode.  My only regret was that I put off diving into this show for so long.  I was in the UK when it was out, and heard about the cancellation and the movie after the fact.  I figured the excitement was just hype, but eventually decided to check it out.  I'm so glad I did.

Except that now (for me) it's over.  Maybe I can finally convince my wife to check it out, and watch it again with her!

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

madjo

• Palmer
Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 09:50:04 AM
I watched Serenity first and it was immediately one of my favorite movies. Now having seen Firefly it really builds in the characters, but I don't regret seeing the movie first.
Thanks for this reassurance. I have the DVD lying on a shelf at home, and I was hesitant to watch it, afraid that it might ruin Firefly for me. (of which I don't have the DVD, and our networks probably will never air it)

tom.d

• Extern
    • Pawnstorm
Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 01:42:57 AM
I somehow got my wife to go see Serenity (how, I do not know).  After that, she immediately wanted to see the show, and loved it.  So I would say go ahead.

Russell Nash

Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 09:40:50 AM
Firefly's currently 20 bucks on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Firefly-Complete-Ron-Glass/dp/B0000AQS0F/sr=8-1/qid=1172436848/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-2829436-4528769?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

Unfortunately, it's still 30€ here which is $40. That's quite a lot for half a season.

We decided to pass on Serenity on cable, but after reading what everyone wrote maybe we'll watch it next time.

Roney

• Lochage
Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 09:35:26 PM
Unfortunately, it's still 30€ here which is $40. That's quite a lot for half a season.

I'd agree that it's quite a lot for half a season of anything else, but it's a bargain for Firefly that (I promise you) you'll watch again and again.  And my wife agrees.  Say yes, Amy.  "Yes."

Russell Nash

Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 08:41:53 PM

I'd agree that it's quite a lot for half a season of anything else, but it's a bargain for Firefly that (I promise you) you'll watch again and again.  And my wife agrees.  Say yes, Amy.  "Yes."

Maybe we'll split the difference and I'll eBay it.

Tango Alpha Delta

• Hipparch
    • Tad's Happy Funtime
Reply #11 on: March 09, 2007, 12:41:54 AM

Maybe we'll split the difference and I'll eBay it.

I was going to offer to buy it off you if you don't like it... then my wife walked up behind me while I was writing and made that Marge Simpson noise.  I think it's spelled, "Hrmmmgh."  The one that means, "You better not, friend."

This Wiki Won't Wrangle Itself!

I finally published my book - Tad's Happy Funtime is on Amazon!

Russell Nash

Reply #12 on: March 09, 2007, 12:59:09 PM

Problem solved. I got Firefly off a friend and Serenity is still on cable.

Leon Kensington

• Matross
  • Supreme Overlord of Earth
Reply #13 on: March 17, 2007, 05:02:35 AM
Hey, that works.

Just watch them in there intended order.  Not in the Fox order, because that worked so well when it aired!

Russell Nash

Reply #14 on: March 20, 2007, 12:11:38 PM
Hey, that works.

Just watch them in there intended order.  Not in the Fox order, because that worked so well when it aired!

What's the proper order?!?? ???

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #15 on: March 20, 2007, 03:52:21 PM
If it's your friend's DVD set of Firefly, I think you'll be fine. When they packaged it, they put it in the right order.  Basically, for some unfathomable reason, the network decided not to air the pilot and instead air a 1-hour episode for the premiere (which hadn't even been written at that point, much less filmed). I think there were some other changes, too (someone else more knowledgable can point that out.  But if you've got the DVD set, you're cool :)

sirana

• Lochage
Reply #16 on: March 21, 2007, 08:59:29 AM
Fox pretty much aired the episodes in a random order. In addition to having the pilot as the last aired episode  they took the episodes 6-8 and made them episodes 3-5, took the last episode and made it episode 10 and didn't air episodes 11-13 at all.

In addition this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM0LdG2P8_0 is the trailer they made for the show.

Gee, I wonder why the show didn't get better ratings...

cosmic hooker and a girl in a box indeed...

RichGarner

• Palmer
  • Metalface Creator
    • Metalface RPG
Reply #17 on: March 30, 2007, 02:08:27 AM

What's the proper order?!?? ???

The order as they appear on the DVDs. If you watch the DVDs straight through, you should be fine.

Have you had a chance to watch any yet? I sat through the whole set in two days.
This is going to sound obnoxious, but here goes...

I came up with a concept for a sci-fi series back in the late 80s that very much resembles Firefly. But I never wrote it down or thought much of it.

My series was called "Phantom's Rule" and the crew formed a mercenary team called Phantoms.
The captain was an ex-soldier.
The gunner was a tough guy named Kelly Frost.
The mechanic was an overweight lady named Momma with a pet robot.
And two aliens, brother and sister, who were running from the law.
The ship was called Spectra General (after the rock group that performed on the TransFormers soundtrack) and even had a detachable shuttle.

Needless to say, I'm writing down all my new ideas these days.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 02:39:02 AM by RichGarner »

"...for death is the destiny of every man; the living should take this to heart." -Ecclesiastes 7:2

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #18 on: June 12, 2007, 06:46:01 PM
Bestbuy has the series on sale this week for $19.99.  (a least where I live).
I picked it up yesterday and watched the two-hour 1st episode last night.

Excellent.

Life is a multiple choice test. Unfortunately, the answers are not provided.  You have to go and find them before picking the best one.

Michael

• Peltast
Reply #19 on: June 13, 2007, 08:50:20 PM
It is ironic that the series begins with a 2 hour movie titled "Serenity" and ends with a 2 hour movie titled "Serenity". 

All in all, I like the TV movie more, as it is so full of promise. Always pain, but promise. 

"Out of Gas" is my favorite episode, for sheer lack of linearity and scenes that prequel even the pilot. 

I do think the Theatrical Movie detracts from enjoyment of the season becasue of the way in which it "ties up" so many loose ends.  It is reading the last chapter of a book first.  Won't mean the book isn't worth reading after, but something is lost.

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #20 on: June 14, 2007, 11:31:31 AM
Finished the first DVD last night - so far, still excellent.

Life is a multiple choice test. Unfortunately, the answers are not provided.  You have to go and find them before picking the best one.

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #21 on: June 14, 2007, 04:41:29 PM
I'm a little upset that the movie makes no reference to "two by two, hands of blue" -- ClintMemo, just wait until the episode "Ariel".  I always wanted a payoff to that... who were the men with blue hands, and how did they fit in with the Operative?

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42

ClintMemo

• Hipparch
Reply #22 on: June 14, 2007, 04:48:15 PM
I'm a little upset that the movie makes no reference to "two by two, hands of blue" -- ClintMemo, just wait until the episode "Ariel".  I always wanted a payoff to that... who were the men with blue hands, and how did they fit in with the Operative?

They appear briefly in the episode "Bushwacked" - which I saw last night.

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
Reply #23 on: June 14, 2007, 05:06:52 PM
IIRC, I think they're in the comic book movie-tie-in (as is more of a detailed explanation of why Book and Inara left the ship).  I haven't actually read the whole thing, just kind of skimmed through it in the bookstore.

Heradel

• Bill Peters, EP Assistant
  • Hipparch
  • Part-Time Psychopomp.
Reply #24 on: June 14, 2007, 06:07:33 PM
The Hands of Blue storyline is tied up in that 3-comic cycle. Personally I'd rather it in live action, but it was satisfying.

I Twitter. I also occasionally blog on the Escape Pod blog, which if you're here you shouldn't have much trouble finding.