Escape Artists

News:

• Voting has started for the Podcastle Flash Fiction contest. Anyone who has made at least one post should be able to see the stories down in the Arcade.

New groups are posted every two days through the end of April.

News

Voting has started for the Podcastle Flash Fiction contest. Anyone who has made at least one post should be able to see the stories down in the Arcade.

New groups are posted every two days through the end of April.

Author Topic: EscapePod stories for PseudoPod listeners  (Read 13173 times)

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
on: August 25, 2012, 03:25:23 PM
The challenge was issued in this poll thread to show folks that there’s a lot more material on the other two podcasts that will appeal to the listeners who gravitate towards one. I’ve already done posts pointing EscapePod and Pocastle listeners to PseudoPod. Take a look at those and add your opinions in any of these threads as to which stories I missed, and if you think I missed the mark on some of these. I'm also trying my hand at pointing PseudoPod folks to the other two.

I’ll admit, I mostly swim in PseudoPod’s murky waters. However, I’ve ventured out, sometimes on my own, sometimes on recommendation, and unearthed some shiny gizmos. I haven't wandered too deep into the extensive back catalog of EscapePod, so I'm going to need some help on this one. For those of y’all who enjoy wandering the mind-crushing horrors of the vastness of space and the insignificance of humanity, I think you would benefit from listening to the following:

EP 182: The Story of late Mr. Elvesham
Classic H.G. Wells is a cautionary tale of making bargains and understanding the fine print.

EP 209: On the Eyeball Floor
Effectively written creepy piece with a great reading.

EP 214: Sinner, Baker, Fablist, Priest; Red Mask, Black Mask, Gentleman, Beast
Eugie Foster's stories tend to blur the lines between the sub-genres we feel compelled to create. The anthropology and world building in this one sticks with you and gives you a lot to think about.

EP 218: Ode to Katan Amano
Dark mood piece. It evoked feelings of Pseudopod 018: Oranges, Lemons and Thou Beside Me, although I enjoyed the awfulness of that story more. This story is not for everyone, so buyer beware.

EP 228: Everything That Matters
Awesome ribbon shark and body horror wrapped around an underwater heist tale.

EP 279: Conditional Love
What a horrible story. Stunningly horrifying. A plausibly well-meaning but awful and self-centered person doing the wrong things.

When I look to add more to this list, this is probably a good place to start (although it would miss great mood pieces like H.G.Wells and Tina Connolly):
http://escapepod.org/category/podcasts/rated-r/

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Umbrageofsnow

• Hipparch
  • Commenting by the seat of my pants.
Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 04:27:59 AM
Sinner, Baker, Fabulist, Priest, ... is possibly the greatest horror story ever podcast on Escape Pod. Here are my runners-up:

EP 100: Nightfall by Isaac Asimov - Classic tale of madness gripping an alien civilization.

EP 208: An Almanac for the Alien Invaders by Merrie Haskell - The horrors of becoming a conquered people. It's PG-13 but the ending still gives me shivers.

EP 248: Spar by Kij Johnson - Repodcast from Clarkesworld, this one won all the awards for a reason. Icky in a way I love.

EP 249: Little M@tch Girl by Heather Shaw - My favorite of the dark futuristic drug use stories.

EP 271: God of the Lower Level by Charles M. Saplak - A bit more lighthearted than the others, but still a twist on a classic horror scenario.

EP 298: The Things by Peter Watts - John Carpenter's "The Thing" from The Thing's POV. Repodcast from Clarkesworld. Absolutely amazing and terrifying. True horror.

EP 316: Site Fourteen by Laura Anne Gilman - If the Space Program were set in the ocean. Some people didn't like the ending to this one, but I enjoyed the understatement. I found the whole story tense and a bit horrific.

EP 330: The Ghost of a Girl Who Never Lived by Keffy R.M. Kehrli - Mind Copying errors can be pretty scary. Moreso being an unloved child with no control over your own fate.

EP 337: Counting Cracks by George R. Galuschak - Autistic kids versus terrifying monsters and a mysterious civilization-destroying signal. An inexplicable apocalypse.

EP 339: "Run," Bakri Says by Ferrett Steinmetz - Besides the science fictional conceit, this is really an exploration of madness and how we can be driven to murder. Psychological horror.

Fenrix

• Editor
Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 08:50:24 PM
EP369 : Passengers

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Chicken Ghost

• Matross
Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 05:07:37 AM
EP 390 - Cerbo Un Vitra Ujo http://escapepod.org/2013/04/04/ep390-cerbo-un-vitra-ujo/
Girl goes looking for her missing boyfriend, but has some trouble tracking him by the clues he's left behind.
Body horror, rape, unhappy ending
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 05:14:57 AM by Chicken Ghost »

Tim Tylor

• Palmer
Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 05:38:49 AM
EP415 The Nightmare Lights of Mars

Have to say, I really wish "The Things" had gone to Pseudopod; that story is in desperate need of an Alasdair extro.

Marguerite

• Editor
    • Cast of Wonders
Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 09:00:27 AM
EP415 The Nightmare Lights of Mars

Have to say, I really wish "The Things" had gone to Pseudopod; that story is in desperate need of an Alasdair extro.

This would make an awesome suggestion for the Patreon non-fic show...
---Marguerite

Alea Iacta Est!

Fenrix

• Editor
Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 03:09:26 PM

julkaz

• Extern
  • folk horror dorkminx
Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 11:40:44 PM
Thank you for these, I keep being scared of running out of stories because I am ploughing through them.

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 09:54:51 PM
Escape Pod 618: All Profound and Logical Minds

A delightful exorcism story.

Delightful.
.......?!
FSM bless you.  ;D

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.