Author Topic: EscapePod stories for PseudoPod listeners  (Read 15778 times)

Fenrix

• Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
  • Editor
  • I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
on: August 25, 2012, 03:25:23 PM
The challenge was issued in this poll thread to show folks that there’s a lot more material on the other two podcasts that will appeal to the listeners who gravitate towards one. I’ve already done posts pointing EscapePod and Pocastle listeners to PseudoPod. Take a look at those and add your opinions in any of these threads as to which stories I missed, and if you think I missed the mark on some of these. I'm also trying my hand at pointing PseudoPod folks to the other two.

I’ll admit, I mostly swim in PseudoPod’s murky waters. However, I’ve ventured out, sometimes on my own, sometimes on recommendation, and unearthed some shiny gizmos. I haven't wandered too deep into the extensive back catalog of EscapePod, so I'm going to need some help on this one. For those of y’all who enjoy wandering the mind-crushing horrors of the vastness of space and the insignificance of humanity, I think you would benefit from listening to the following:

EP 182: The Story of late Mr. Elvesham
Classic H.G. Wells is a cautionary tale of making bargains and understanding the fine print.

EP 209: On the Eyeball Floor
Effectively written creepy piece with a great reading.

EP 214: Sinner, Baker, Fablist, Priest; Red Mask, Black Mask, Gentleman, Beast
Eugie Foster's stories tend to blur the lines between the sub-genres we feel compelled to create. The anthropology and world building in this one sticks with you and gives you a lot to think about.

EP 218: Ode to Katan Amano
Dark mood piece. It evoked feelings of Pseudopod 018: Oranges, Lemons and Thou Beside Me, although I enjoyed the awfulness of that story more. This story is not for everyone, so buyer beware.

EP 228: Everything That Matters
Awesome ribbon shark and body horror wrapped around an underwater heist tale.

EP 279: Conditional Love
What a horrible story. Stunningly horrifying. A plausibly well-meaning but awful and self-centered person doing the wrong things.

When I look to add more to this list, this is probably a good place to start (although it would miss great mood pieces like H.G.Wells and Tina Connolly):
http://escapepod.org/category/podcasts/rated-r/

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Umbrageofsnow

• Hipparch
  • Commenting by the seat of my pants.
Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 04:27:59 AM
Sinner, Baker, Fabulist, Priest, ... is possibly the greatest horror story ever podcast on Escape Pod. Here are my runners-up:

EP 100: Nightfall by Isaac Asimov - Classic tale of madness gripping an alien civilization.

EP 208: An Almanac for the Alien Invaders by Merrie Haskell - The horrors of becoming a conquered people. It's PG-13 but the ending still gives me shivers.

EP 248: Spar by Kij Johnson - Repodcast from Clarkesworld, this one won all the awards for a reason. Icky in a way I love.

EP 249: Little M@tch Girl by Heather Shaw - My favorite of the dark futuristic drug use stories.

EP 271: God of the Lower Level by Charles M. Saplak - A bit more lighthearted than the others, but still a twist on a classic horror scenario.

EP 298: The Things by Peter Watts - John Carpenter's "The Thing" from The Thing's POV. Repodcast from Clarkesworld. Absolutely amazing and terrifying. True horror.

EP 316: Site Fourteen by Laura Anne Gilman - If the Space Program were set in the ocean. Some people didn't like the ending to this one, but I enjoyed the understatement. I found the whole story tense and a bit horrific.

EP 330: The Ghost of a Girl Who Never Lived by Keffy R.M. Kehrli - Mind Copying errors can be pretty scary. Moreso being an unloved child with no control over your own fate.

EP 337: Counting Cracks by George R. Galuschak - Autistic kids versus terrifying monsters and a mysterious civilization-destroying signal. An inexplicable apocalypse.

EP 339: "Run," Bakri Says by Ferrett Steinmetz - Besides the science fictional conceit, this is really an exploration of madness and how we can be driven to murder. Psychological horror.

Fenrix

• Editor
Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 08:50:24 PM
EP369 : Passengers

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”

Chicken Ghost

• Matross
Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 05:07:37 AM
EP 390 - Cerbo Un Vitra Ujo http://escapepod.org/2013/04/04/ep390-cerbo-un-vitra-ujo/
Girl goes looking for her missing boyfriend, but has some trouble tracking him by the clues he's left behind.
Body horror, rape, unhappy ending
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 05:14:57 AM by Chicken Ghost »

Tim Tylor

• Palmer
Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 05:38:49 AM
EP415 The Nightmare Lights of Mars

Have to say, I really wish "The Things" had gone to Pseudopod; that story is in desperate need of an Alasdair extro.

Marguerite

• Editor
    • Cast of Wonders
Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 09:00:27 AM
EP415 The Nightmare Lights of Mars

Have to say, I really wish "The Things" had gone to Pseudopod; that story is in desperate need of an Alasdair extro.

This would make an awesome suggestion for the Patreon non-fic show...
---Marguerite

Alea Iacta Est!

Fenrix

• Editor
Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 03:09:26 PM

julkaz

• Extern
  • folk horror dorkminx
Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 11:40:44 PM
Thank you for these, I keep being scared of running out of stories because I am ploughing through them.

Scuba Man

• Lochage
  • Drabblecast, Pseudopod, Escapepod, Podcastle
    • Black Cat Bed And Breakfast (proposed start up 2024)
Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 09:54:51 PM
Escape Pod 618: All Profound and Logical Minds

A delightful exorcism story.

Delightful.
.......?!
FSM bless you.  ;D

I'm a stand-up philosopher until 2024. Then, I move onto my next gig. I'm a gentleman forester and farmer. I also enjoy jumping into Lake Huron and panicking the fish.