Author Topic: Pseudopod 286: The Bee Charmer of Beckett Falls  (Read 6036 times)

Bdoomed

• Pseudopod Tiger
  • Mmm. Tiger.
on: June 18, 2012, 12:05:17 AM
Pseudopod 286: The Bee Charmer of Beckett Falls

By Patty Templeton.
This piece was posted in the fall of 2011 on the creatively collaborative website hitrecord.org. “The Bee Charmer of Beckett Falls” is dedicated to Shawna Flavell, who inspired it.

Patty Templeton is a writer and a Readers’ Advisor at a Chicagoland library. Her work has appeared in Steam-Powered II and Rosebud Magazine. In 2010, she won the first ever Naked Girls Reading Literary Honors Award and has been a runner-up for the Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley Award. She can most often be found doing one of three things: writing, reading or stomping around at rock ‘n roll shows. Click the link under her name above to check out her blog!

Your readers this week are George Cleveland & Julie Hoverson.

George Cleveland is collaborating with his cats on several ghost stories from the White Mountains of New Hampshire.

Julie Hoverson is a woman of mystery. And horror. And sometimes sci fi or comedy (or even romance). She writes, produces, and acts in the award-winning podcast audio drama series 19 Nocturne Boulevard, which debuted in 2008 and has been running at a breakneck pace ever since, but she has also been featured in such other shows as “Edict Zero: FIS” and “Warp’d Space“. Outside of podcasting, she has been known to do live events at conventions, costume contests, renfaires, and any place else where flamboyant style is appreciated. Inside podcasting, it’s too dark to see (to completely misquote Groucho).

“Beckett Falls could’ve been sucked up by a twister for all I had in it. It wasn’t worth a full show and it made me nervous. We gave it one tent and a single twilight. Gas up, chalk a few marks and go.

Far as I ever saw, Shawna Garrett was Beckett Falls’ one breath worth breathing.”

CTHUHU TIKI MUGS? CHECK THEM OUT HERE!

THE HORROR IN CLAY

Listen to this week's Pseudopod.

I'd like to hear my options, so I could weigh them, what do you say?
Five pounds?  Six pounds? Seven pounds?

benjaminjb

• Hipparch
Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 02:32:46 PM
I've been, let's say, skeptical in the past of episodes that used multiple readers--usually it takes me a moment to acclimate to a new voice, so when the voices are changing, it can be distracting. But not here. The two readers were great, the choice to use two readers was great, the voice of the writing was great.

My one-two quibble with the story was that I wanted to know when (approximately) the story took place sooner--that is, there's not a lot of description, so it would be easier to picture if I knew sooner whether the War just recently over was I or II. (Later hints show that it's II--a reference to Hitler, a Django Reinhardt album, an Orwell book.) (Honestly, I kept picturing the world of HBO's Carnivale, which took place in the Depression 30s.)

A related question--and this could've been covered by the story and I just missed it--is how come Isaac wasn't drafted? Maybe I ought to listen to these stories when I'm more awake than the first dog-walk fo the day...

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 03:36:02 PM
The multiple readers were fine, but I found the story as a whole somewhat disappointing.  The description of the bee-dance was impressively erotic, but that was the only place where there was much teasing going on.  The opening scene pretty much told us the plot, and the rest of the story was a more in-depth recapitulation that didn't always add more, or rather added too much.  (I found the detailed description of the doctor's experiments, in particular, to be a turn-off; if you just tell me "It's magic/mad science," I'm okay with it, but as soon as you provide me with mechanisms, I'm going to want them to be scientifically plausible, and I'm sorry, no matter how many times you get bee venom in you, you do not develop bee-telepathy.  Telepabee?)  The climactic fight scene was robbed of a lot of tension because we already knew going in that two people got shot and one got run over, and everyone was dying.  The only thing that wasn't in the opening scene was the holdout pistol in the girl's skirts, and that got covered pretty thoroughly in the mid-scenes.  Honestly, I'd rather have seen this without the woman's perspective at all; knowing that she actually loved him kind of ruined the mystery of romance and her dark moods, knowing her backstory ruined the creepiness of her powers and the ominous feeling of the Doctor, and she's the blabbermouth who told us that she and her boyfriend were both actively dying.

So I'd give it an A- for presentation (the male reader kind of stepped on the last lines of the female reader every time they changed scenes) and an A for concept (bees are creepy, telepathy is creepy, mad science is cool), but only a C for overall execution.

benjaminjb

• Hipparch
Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 05:25:39 PM
Since I don't want to do my work now, I'll (semi-)second Scattercat's comments about tension; while I enjoyed the voice of the writing, I never felt any amount of tension here. I'm OK with that as long as there's some horror or dread--which, frankly, there wasn't for me.

You may disagree, but I think it's possible to have horror without tension, and that's what I thought the author was going for in giving away the end at the beginning--no tension, but lots of horror at the inevitability of a bad end. Too bad that I don't think the author hit the mark there. (Though if you had run this on PodCastle, I mightn't quibble.)

(For an amazing example giving away the end but maintaining the horror, check out Angela Carter's story about Lizzie Borden, "The Fall River Axe Murders," the first line of which goes

On this morning, when, after breakfast and the performance of a few household duties, Lizzie Borden will murder her parents, she will, on rising, don a simple cotton frock—but, under that, went a long, starched cotton petticoat; another short, starched cotton petticoat; long drawers; woollen stockings; a chemise; and a whalebone corset that took her viscera in a stern hand and squeezed them very tightly.
)

As for the bee powers--telepabee, beepathy?--I read this almost more as a comic/ridiculous twist on 1950s monster movies: half-woman, half-bee, and she's coming for you! I mean, when you have a mad scientist who shows up to enact his revenge and he has... a monster? No. Special psychic powers? No. A gun? Yes... Well, it seems like we've entered the realm of the purposefully silly. We're one step away from her keeping the bees in her beehive hairdo.

(But how I wished for some horrific twist: Isaac goes up to her and through her bullet holes notices that her insides are all hive... Isaac heals when she offers him some of her royal jelly/flesh (whoo, let's hear it for cannibal love!)... or her swarm, out of her control, stings Isaac to death as he tries to comfort her.)

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 11:22:53 PM
(Though if you had run this on PodCastle, I mightn't quibble.)

Although it would be unfun to make it apparent at the top, this episode was us playing our "we get to occasionally do Dark Fantasy as well" card.  Another one coming in October - monitor those expectations, folks!

Sgarre1

• Editor
  • "Let There Be Fright!"
Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 11:26:10 PM
My one-two quibble with the story was that I wanted to know when (approximately) the story took place sooner--that is, there's not a lot of description, so it would be easier to picture if I knew sooner whether the War just recently over was I or II. (Later hints show that it's II--a reference to Hitler, a Django Reinhardt album, an Orwell book.) (Honestly, I kept picturing the world of HBO's Carnivale, which took place in the Depression 30s.)

The date was given at the fourth word said in the story, not counting the title.

hronir

• Extern
    • hronir heila
Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 12:04:19 AM
The concept was great and I loved the description of the bee-tease.
Even if the ending wasn't given away at the beginning it would have still would have been a let down. It seemed like the author had this cool idea but didn't have the story to fit it.

Production and narration were good!

(But how I wished for some horrific twist: Isaac goes up to her and through her bullet holes notices that her insides are all hive
I'd go with this option Benjamin  ;)

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 01:35:47 PM
My opinion's pretty close to scattercat's on this one.  I thought the beginning bee-dance was hot, and definitely had me intrigued, but since they revealed so early that they'd been shot, there wasn't anything happening in the rest of it that really kept me interested.  Since the mad doctor scenes were explained in detail that gave me plausibility issues as well.  Despite ending with a bang, because I knew the bang was coming, I was waiting for the other shoe to drop and it never did. 

So, lots of cool ideas here, but the execution could've been better.

benjaminjb

• Hipparch
Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 05:31:24 PM
The date was given at the fourth word said in the story, not counting the title.

That quashes that quibble of mine. And it should teach me not to talk so much. It won't--because I'm committed to leveling up from extern--but it should. Maybe I should save Escape Artists material for dog walks later in they day. I'll listen to something less brain-taxing when I first wake up--like the Economist's podcasts.

Red Dog 344

• Palmer
Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 02:48:08 PM
Maybe it was the style of the character voices, but I kept thinking Coen Brothers on this one.  It struck me as more of a gentle send-up of a genre than anything else: the aw-shucks tone of the narrative, the intentionally bizarre props (sexy bees, Dr. Strangelove working on his uber-apiary-doomsday project in the New England backwoods)...

OK, true confessions: after a brief Coen Brothers phase, I got stuck on imagining the narrator as Grandpa Simpson in one of those flashback episodes where he begins sitting in the nursing home, narrating to Bart and Lisa.  I suppose Mr. Burns can play the mad scientist.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 02:29:52 PM
Maybe it was the style of the character voices, but I kept thinking Coen Brothers on this one.  It struck me as more of a gentle send-up of a genre than anything else: the aw-shucks tone of the narrative, the intentionally bizarre props (sexy bees, Dr. Strangelove working on his uber-apiary-doomsday project in the New England backwoods)...

I could totally see this as a Coen Brothers film.  Especially since everyone dies.

FrankOreto

• Extern
Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 07:07:05 PM
I really liked this one.  I knew the ending, well mostly, but the characters and the grotesquely beautiful concept of it all made me so very happy.  It was as if Jim Thompson had a magical realism period.

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 01:16:31 PM
Did I miss it? Or was it never explained why the scientist did the bee research?  I think if the role/motivation/history/character of the scientist had been fleshed out, this could have been a truly great story.

I don't think so.  I gathered that he was meant to be a bit of a stereotypical mad scientist.

Jeff C. Carter

• Extern
    • Compendium of Monsters
Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 04:14:32 AM
This was a triumph of style over substance, but what style!  A lot of great dialogue, description and historical atmosphere.  If it had been shorter the style might have outweighed any shortcomings. Just a vignette about the bee tease burlesque dance would have been uh...bee-autiful.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://jeffccarter.wordpress.com/

Listener

• Hipparch
  • I place things in locations which later elude me.
    • Various and Sundry Items of Interest
Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 12:33:21 PM
I found the story compelling, although I think the bee-dance went on FAR too long, and honestly reading about an exotic dance isn't nearly as much fun as seeing one in person (if that's what you're into). I realize it was stretched out to build tension and show us more about Shawna's power over the bees, but still, I got a little bored of it.

The only other issue I have is one that's been brought up in countless creative writing classes that I've taken: how do you have a first-person POV when the narrator dies at the end? It's a little non-genuine, IMO. Not saying it doesn't work for the story, but in general it's not something I do. Though it does remind me of the trailer for "Savages", where the narrator says "just because I'm telling you this story doesn't mean I'm alive at the end."

Overall I thought it was a good episode.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42