Escape Artists
December 17, 2018, 09:52:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Contest voting schedule  (Read 14121 times)
DoWhileNot
Matross

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2012, 04:47:33 PM »

Umbrageofsnow: You probably share an internet IP address with most of your neighborhood.
The way DSL connections work, you get an IP address inside a local area network (LAN) that belongs to your ISP, and they then have a single IP address that faces the internet. Just like on your home network you have multiple computers that have different IP addresses inside the network, but share an outside-facing IP address. This way there are many more devices than available IP addresses on the internet.
Pretty clever.
The upshot of this is that if somebody else in your neighborhood on the same DSL service that you are on is also a member of the forum, it may show up to the mods as the same IP address.
This is why it is not a good thing to ban by IP address.

Another good reason not to ban by IP address - if they use something like Tor, then they'll never appear to have the same IP address anyway because they're behind a mass of random proxies.  If you ban the IP then you're only banning one small node in the Tor network and as soon as they refresh they're on a new network.

This, by the way, is a pretty good way to access banned sites if you're in a place that has banned sites.  The Tor Vidalia bundle for Firefox is pretty nice, and while things slow down a little, they're not as slow as they would be if they were blocked by a firewall.
julius blaze
Peltast

« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2012, 05:25:20 PM »

What is the schedule going to be like for the second chance round, semi finals, and finals?  Or is it not decided yet?
eytanz

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2012, 02:51:14 AM »

It partially depends on whether there will be any tie-breakers - there hasn't been a need for them in the first five groups, but there may be one later. And depending on how many tie-breakers there are, I may post them all at once or space them out. The second chance round will follow the tiebreakers.

After that I haven't quite figured it out yet. I can't quite decide whether to follow the same format for the semi-finals as I have been for the groups, or whether to tweak it. Since most voters will have read the stories in those rounds already, I may post them on a tighter schedule - one a day - but give more time to vote in each.
julius blaze
Peltast

« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2012, 03:09:36 AM »

One a day for the stories already read sounds good to me!
Fenrix
Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
Editor

I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.

« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2012, 07:02:22 AM »

It partially depends on whether there will be any tie-breakers - there hasn't been a need for them in the first five groups, but there may be one later. And depending on how many tie-breakers there are, I may post them all at once or space them out. The second chance round will follow the tiebreakers.

After that I haven't quite figured it out yet. I can't quite decide whether to follow the same format for the semi-finals as I have been for the groups, or whether to tweak it. Since most voters will have read the stories in those rounds already, I may post them on a tighter schedule - one a day - but give more time to vote in each.

The frequency is less important to me, but the duration is. The later we get into the contest, the more time we have to spend comparing the minor flaws and determining which is less obtrusive. We've got the last chance, the semi-finals, and finals left. I think it's reasonable to post the tie-breakers and last chance tightly together and at a four-day duration. However, having the semi- and final rounds up for a full week may not be a bad idea, so that we can give folks the weekend.

We've got the last chance, the semi-finals, and finals left, right?

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”
eytanz

« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2012, 07:11:24 AM »

We've got the last chance, the semi-finals, and finals left, right?

Yup.
Bill
Peltast

Bow ties are cool

« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2012, 07:16:54 AM »

I would rather keep the timing as duration the same. I think a week is overkill. If my memory serves me correct, commenting dropped off after the preliminary rounds. The majority of people know what they like. Spreading it out longer I think is going to cause some people to drop interest.
Bill
Peltast

Bow ties are cool

« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2012, 07:35:06 AM »

A watched pot never boils. So I probably should stop hitting the refresh button in my browser every thirty seconds hoping group 8 will have dropped. Smiley
Max e^{i pi}
Hipparch

Have towel, will travel.

« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2012, 10:16:49 AM »

I think a single day to vote on the semi-finals and finals is too little.
I would want to re-read the stories I had already read, and to get a chance to read those that I haven't. (There are too many of those already :| )
Also, if voting is a single day and that one day I have something that prevents me from internet access or the time to go online and can't vote then pfft. Gone. That would be a shame.

Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted!

eytanz

« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2012, 10:19:23 AM »

I think a single day to vote on the semi-finals and finals is too little.
I would want to re-read the stories I had already read, and to get a chance to read those that I haven't. (There are too many of those already :| )
Also, if voting is a single day and that one day I have something that prevents me from internet access or the time to go online and can't vote then pfft. Gone. That would be a shame.

No, you misunderstood. The plan isn't to have one day to vote. The plan is to put up one poll per day, then leave that poll open for 5-6 days.
Dem
Lochage

aka conboyhillfiction.wordpress.com

« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2012, 10:21:12 AM »

I think the amount of voting time is the same, maybe slightly longer. It's just the groups that would go up each day instead of every two days. Yes?

Science is what you do when the funding panel thinks you know what you're doing. Fiction is the same only without the funding.
eytanz

« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2012, 10:34:07 AM »

Ok, here's the proposed schedule for the remaining rounds. I'll give it until tomorrow afternoon to see if anyone can see any problems with it, then make it official:

- Tie-breakers will go up on 12 October (as soon as group 10 closes), and will close on 14 October.
- The second chance round will go up on 14 October, and close on 18 October.

- On 19 October, the semi-finals will start:
- Semi final one goes up on 19 October - 24 October.
- Semi final two goes up on 20 October - 25 October.
- Semi final three goes up on 21 October - 26 October.
- Semi final four goes up on 22 October - 27 October.

- The finals will go up on 28 October - 4 November.
Devoted135
Hipparch

« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2012, 01:02:12 PM »

I see a problem with it! I'll be out of the country from Oct 21-Nov 6 and don't yet know how much internet access I'll have. What's that you say? That's not a good reason to change it? Bummer. Grin Roll Eyes

Btw, anyone have advice about using an American iphone in South Africa? Preferably without sacrificing an arm and a leg?
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2012, 01:44:21 PM »

I think that voting schedule sounds good.  A longer voting period is good so a day or two's plans won't make me miss out, but packing them all closer is fine because I've already read all of the stories.  I already have some favorites and I'll only need to read those if I'm torn between two or more.
Fenrix
Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
Editor

I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.

« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2012, 02:54:54 PM »

All the big time frames include a weekend, so we should be good. Thanks Eytanz.

All cat stories start with this statement: “My mother, who was the first cat, told me this...”
Leslianne
Palmer

« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2012, 06:22:48 PM »

That looks awesome, thanks for doing all this!
eytanz

« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2012, 01:31:24 PM »

As it seems to be quite popular and no-one pointed out any problems with it, the schedule I posted above is now official.
Umbrageofsnow
Hipparch

Commenting by the seat of my pants.

« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2012, 08:57:55 AM »

I got to this thread too late to comment on the schedule, (and missed voting on two rounds of stories  Angry ) but that is pretty much the ideal schedule for me. Good job mind-reading, eytanz.
DoWhileNot
Matross

« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2012, 05:29:21 AM »

I see a problem with it! I'll be out of the country from Oct 21-Nov 6 and don't yet know how much internet access I'll have. What's that you say? That's not a good reason to change it? Bummer. Grin Roll Eyes

Btw, anyone have advice about using an American iphone in South Africa? Preferably without sacrificing an arm and a leg?

I'm in charge of the corporate cell phone accounts for my company, and even with international roaming turned on and an international data package added, you can expect anywhere from a couple hundred to a thousand dollar bill if you use your phone while in South Africa.  Poland is worse though. Smiley  I'd stick to just using your phone when you absoutely have to or when you have wifi access.  Also watch out for text messages - you'll be paying something like $2.00 a text, even if you have unlimited in the states.

Probably the best thing to do is call the cell provider and ask what your options are - some companies don't allow general users to have international roaming or data packages - they only give them to their corporate accounts.  If that's the case with your provider, I'd leave your phone home and buy a throw away one once you're in South Africa because it'll be much cheaper... heck it'd be cheaper to buy a retail price iPhone over there than it would be if you took your own phone.
Listener
Hipparch

I place things in locations which later elude me.

« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2012, 07:41:11 AM »

Probably the best thing to do is call the cell provider and ask what your options are - some companies don't allow general users to have international roaming or data packages - they only give them to their corporate accounts.  If that's the case with your provider, I'd leave your phone home and buy a throw away one once you're in South Africa because it'll be much cheaper... heck it'd be cheaper to buy a retail price iPhone over there than it would be if you took your own phone.

Or just make sure your data is turned off and only wi-fi is left on.

Do people still text using carriers anymore? I've been using Google Voice for texting since I got an Android phone last year and even though my plan includes unlimited texts it still says "0" next to the Text line every month.

"Farts are a hug you can smell." -Wil Wheaton

Blog || Quote Blog ||  Written and Audio Work || Twitter: @listener42
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: