Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 7846 times)

DKT

• Friendly Neighborhood
  • Hipparch
  • PodCastle is my Co-Pilot
    • Psalms & Hymns & Spiritual Noir
on: February 26, 2007, 05:57:08 PM
I just finished reading the first volume of this zombie comic last week. It starts off a bit like 28 Days Later but pretty soon it gets into its own groove. The art's good and the story's very engaging with believable characters and motivations, good dialogue, and good old-fashioned zombie horror. There's some different spins on familiar zombie situations make a compelling plot and I'd recommend it to anyone who like zombie stories.  It's also a pretty quick read.   

I'll probably pick up the second volume some time soon (not sure how many there are, right now...I think 5 or 6 altogether).  Anyone else read any of it?

Alasdair5000

• Editor
    • My blog
Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 10:22:03 PM
   Yeah I'm up to book four, or thereabouts.  It gets better and considerably more horrific as time goes on and Kirkman absolutely nails the feeling of big events and tiny people caught up in them.  A friend of mine once described the movie Signs as actually being about how awful it is being a really minor character in a B-movie and Walking Dead has the same sort of feel.  There's a real sense no one is safe and a gradual reveal on the exact nature of the zombies that's fascinating and horrible by turns.  This, along with Ex Machina is one of my favourite series at the moment.

wicky

• Extern
Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 09:33:02 AM
I'll probably pick up the second volume some time soon (not sure how many there are, right now...I think 5 or 6 altogether).  Anyone else read any of it?

stePH

• Actually has enough cowbell.
  • Hipparch
  • Cool story, bro!
    • Thetatr0n on SoundCloud
Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 04:32:14 PM
I'm either caught up, or only one issue behind. I like it better than the teevee series (of which I've watched up through the current season's premier but haven't been motivated to watch further yet).

Glenn almost getting clobbered with a baseball bat in the last ep that I watched, is very reminiscent of what happened to him when the group met Negan.

(if Negan shows up in the teevee series, we're in for some serious shit. He makes the Governor look like a small-time hood.)

"Nerdcore is like playing Halo while getting a blow-job from Hello Kitty."
-- some guy interviewed in Nerdcore Rising