Escape Artists
December 16, 2017, 09:48:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: PC015: The Yeti Behind You  (Read 14606 times)
eytanz

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2008, 07:26:40 PM »

This story fell flat for me. Maybe it's the cliche'd situation and characters, maybe it's the rather arbitrary moral, but I found it barely kept my attention.
Unblinking
Sir Postsalot
Hipparch

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2010, 12:53:21 PM »

Interesting idea, and I listened to the whole thing, but in the end the premise was much more intersting than the story.  I spent most of the time speculating about these strange extinct creatures.  Is there only one of each type of creature, one ambassador so to speak.  If so, how are there enough of them to go around?  If not, what decides which members of the extinct species get to come back?  If humans go extinct, will some of us be sent back to follow around creatures living their everyday lives?  Will the follower be an actual dead member of the species or a newborn soul or some amalgamation of many souls or other?  Why do humans get these creature followers?  Do any other animals get them, like squirrels or gorrillas get them or just us?  Why did he have one and his wife didn't?  What's so special about extinct species instead of just dead members of an existing species?  What was their purpose--the Yeti helped him out once or twice but only because he could see the yeti, it seems that most people can't in which case the species is just wasting their time.

So, with all these questions running through my head it was hard to pay attention.  Which is good in that it made me think, but bad because the premise drew me in more than the events.
Fenrix
Curmudgeonly Co-Editor of PseudoPod
Editor

Have you found the Yellow Sign?

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2013, 02:55:43 PM »

I'm usually not this dense, but I came away wondering what, exactly, happened at the hospital?  At first I thought she'd lost the baby, and then she was okay.  Maybe she had the baby?  But then Michael came back and made the doctor go back in and find ... something he hadn't noticed before and then everything was okay.

Having read a shelf of baby books longer then I am tall and attending parenting classes and a whole host of other things I can tell you there's a million things that can go wrong in a pregnancy, so it's probably pointless to speculate what the exact problem was.  Though the impression I got was that it was one of those things that's not difficult to treat but would have been devastating if left alone.

1. The doctor misses the problem on the first examination.
2. Michael goes back and says check again.
3. Doctor finds serious problem with fairly minor treatment.
4. Everyone goes home.

That's my best guess at it anyway.

This guess is clearer than what the story gave us. I'm glad to see that I wasn't the only one who was left guessing at the resolution to the conflict. It almost feels like a chunk of the story is missing. I was invested until that point, and then it lost me.

I always lock the door when I creep by daylight.
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: