Author Topic: PodCastle Miniature 71: We Clever Jacks  (Read 4658 times)

Talia

• Muahahahaha
on: October 07, 2012, 04:38:27 PM
PodCastle Miniature 71: We Clever Jacks

By Greg van Eekhout

Read by Marshal Latham, of the Journey Into…Podcast! (Check out the rules for the Edgar Allan Poe Writing Contest)

Originally published on Greg van Eekhout’s blog: Writing and Snacks (read it here)

We all started introducing ourselves.

Laughing Jack.

Shrieking Jack.

Happy Jack.

Wailing Jack.

Screaming Munsch Jack.

All the neighborhood Jacks. We are such good Jacks, we Jacks.

“This year we’re not putting up with any of that stuff our patch fathers have always put up with,” says Grimacing Jack. “No smashing in the gutter, no tossing in the street. No blowing up with firecrackers. No being ignored into November, sagging and settling and getting mottled black and furry. No way, my Jacks. This year we’re gonna make it the Year of the Jacks.”

We love our Grimacing Jack.

Rated PG: Contains Pumpkins

Listen to this week’s PodCastle!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 07:02:21 PM by Talia »

eytanz

Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 05:53:30 PM
Delightful little story, though by the end I found the Jacks more pitiful than ominous.

Scattercat

• Caution:
  • Hipparch
  • Amateur wordsmith
    • Mirrorshards
Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 06:10:50 PM
I rather think that was intentional, eytanz.  :-D

I enjoyed this one a lot.

chemistryguy

• Matross
  • Serving the Detroit Metro area since 1970
    • 5000 People can't be wrong...or can they?
Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 10:56:08 AM
I have to be honest, I didn't like this at the first go.  The cuteness factor and repetition of "Jack" started to get on my nerves. 

The last minute turned it all around for me.  I gave it a second listen this morning and got it.

Ominous and pitiful both.  This was a fantastic Halloween treat.

Devoted135

• Hipparch
Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 04:48:29 PM
Loved this one. :) At first I thought the jacks were going to be garden gnomes, but of course that wouldn't make nearly as much sense. :P

Unblinking

• Sir Postsalot
  • Hipparch
    • Diabolical Plots
Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 01:38:38 PM
It took me a little while to get into this, and the something about the style of the narration rubbed me the wrong way.  But when the Jacks successfully changed their faces, I started to really like it, and even more so when the one Jack is almost able to walk but then dies of predictable pumpkin rot.  It always makes me sad when my jack-o'-lantern gets all saggy and soft after only a day or two.

danooli

• Who Doesn't Love Stories?
Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 10:09:44 PM
I'm doing Halloweeny type olde timey stuff tomorrow with 2 of my nephews, aged 9 & 6.  The 9 year old is already literary and of course, my favorite.  I can't WAIT to play this for him. It Greg van Eekhout is one of his favorite authors anyway, and he just loves this time of year, so it's perfect!

LaShawn

• Lochage
  • Writer Mommies Rule!
    • The Cafe in the Woods
Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 09:07:00 PM
It always seem I listen to the Halloween stories around Christmas...so much backlog. But it's okay. I really enjoy it. And this was both cute and quirky and sad all at the same time.

--
Visit LaShawn at The Cafe in the Woods:
http://tbonecafe.wordpress.com
Another writer's antiblog: In Touch With Yours Truly

childoftyranny

• Matross
Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 01:41:06 AM
I enjoyed this story! For once repetition didn't really bother me, he simplicity of them all being Jack's really did fit. This actually makes me thing it could be a fun idea for a story in the Little Fears, RPG!

Embarrassingly, I was a lil disappointed when we didn't did one named "Cracker-Jack".

chemistryguy

• Matross
  • Serving the Detroit Metro area since 1970
    • 5000 People can't be wrong...or can they?
Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 11:27:09 AM
Played this one again for my seven year old son as we were stuck in traffic.  He made me run it two more times, and probably would have listened again had I let him.

I have to say, this is a must-listen for all future Halloweens.

jacob374

• Extern
Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 08:22:31 AM
I thought the jacks were going to be garden gnomes, but of course that wouldn't make nearly as much sense. Tongue